06-18-2015 02:47 PM
83 1234
tools
    Under "Apps + Settings" - select "Backup", set "Settings Backup" to "ON" and hit "Back up Now". Once done - WhatsApp will be triggered to restart and work (even when the Backup itself could not finish).
    sandymanzy, docarchy and Fran_FLV like this.
    12-02-2014 04:29 AM
    It's when automatic updates is on; some apps need to be opened after the update to be fully updated.
    I just had a gray WhatsApp tile (again!) and thought about the updates. I then looked at my update history to find that the simple "Music" app of Windows had been updated this day. I opened the app and it told me it needed to do some final update things while I was in the app. After that my WhatsApp was normal again. :)
    12-02-2014 03:17 PM
    Under "Apps + Settings" - select "Backup", set "Settings Backup" to "ON" and hit "Back up Now". Once done - WhatsApp will be triggered to restart and work (even when the Backup itself could not finish).
    I had the same problem today as well. So I started the manual backup and when it reached 95% WhatsApp came alive. So I guess it does have something to do with the backup.
    12-02-2014 10:05 PM
    Same here in Lumia 920. After loosing my patience, I re installed it and as because of it, I lost few messages that was not backed up properly. But the issue is happening again and this time I am not going to re install and I will wait for a proper solution. I must wait for WhatsApp team to revert backwp_ss_20141204_0004.png
    12-04-2014 08:49 AM
    a friend has this same problem since 3+hrs ago, but pressing the backup button did not show any progress(it was instant back to menu) and it still showed last backup on wednesday, needless to say, whatsapp still greyed.
    could it be because it's on EDGE speed and for some reason win phones simply don't work at EDGE datarate?(my old 5800 did work all the time on edge but on lumia if it drops to edge even with full signal bar it's goodbye data)
    the "share picture" workaround doesn't works because whatsapp is not showing on the "share to" list of apps...
    12-06-2014 09:58 AM
    Hey guys,
    I am the happiest I think. I am out of my country and since I do not have access to confirmation text messages from my WhatsApp line, I could afford the Uninstall and Install my WhatsApp application. It mysteriously turned grey and I could open it. My attempt to find a solution from WhatsApp website were unsuccessful.

Therefore, I am hereby confirming Roberts suggestion as a solution to these problem. Thank you so much Robert for saving my ***.

Stephen
    12-11-2014 04:13 AM
    in my case it solved by itself, nothing else worked (backups wouldn't even run).

also, the "share to" doesn't works as i don't even had that on my working whatsapp, it doesn't appears as a valid destination
    12-11-2014 05:40 AM
    I am facing the same issue fourth time by now,
    Previously i waited until it automatically gets resolved(1.5 days at max).
    This time i tried Settings -> Backup -> apps+settings -> back up now.
    And whatsapp started to work as usual once the process was done.
    No idea about the root cause or solution, but it worked fine in both Lumia 630 and Lumia 520.
    Sumit Sinha2 likes this.
    12-24-2014 05:20 AM
    facing same problem :( this os is f*##* really hating it
    01-03-2015 10:37 AM
    it worked while backing up
    01-03-2015 10:42 AM
    It's a fcuk behavior of WhatsApp going blur on love tile, this was the 7th time I have to reinstall it.
    01-03-2015 10:54 AM
    It's a fcuk behavior of WhatsApp going blur on love tile, this was the 7th time I have to reinstall it.
    It's doing this because it's backing up, let it for a couple of minutes you must find it normal again
    01-03-2015 11:01 AM
    I had this a few days ago also, I just unpinned the app, rebooted my phone and repined it. Everything went back to normal. Was quite odd.
    01-03-2015 08:03 PM
    Apparently the same thing happen (again) to me, though this time is because I didn't close the apps while connecting and transferring pictures to phone.

Then I try went to the A to Z listing locate the Whatapps (as usual we did), so only left was share and uninstall option can be select right ? Just try select share, then cancel it (which you're back to the apps list), now try select Whatapps if it could run.
    01-04-2015 08:04 AM
    Solution

I have two lumia phones and I experienced the same things on both the phones in a single day (one after the other), which helped me to get the possible reason for the same and yes, of course the solution.

What happens is when you've automatic 'back-up' for apps turned on then it makes usage of certain apps (like WhatsApp) unusable. As soon as back-up gets completed, the WhatsApp income will be normal again and you can use it in a normal manner.

To get the rid of this, turn auto back-up off for apps.

THIS IS WHAT I NOTICED/OBSERVED AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE FOR ALL THE USERS OUT THERE.
    teckris and colinkiama like this.
    01-04-2015 10:04 AM
    Solution

I have two lumia phones and I experienced the same things on both the phones in a single day (one after the other), which helped me to get the possible reason for the same and yes, of course the solution.

What happens is when you've automatic 'back-up' for apps turned on then it makes usage of certain apps (like WhatsApp) unusable. As soon as back-up gets completed, the WhatsApp income will be normal again and you can use it in a normal manner.

To get the rid of this, turn auto back-up off for apps.

THIS IS WHAT I NOTICED/OBSERVED AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE FOR ALL THE USERS OUT THERE.
    Yes It could be a reason. I just tried backing up and whatsapp icon changed Grey!!
    01-04-2015 10:51 AM
    Hi
    If you currently experiencing this please ping me on twitter "31R". We are trying to figure out why this is happening to some apps on windows phone.

Thanks!
    01-07-2015 05:13 PM
    Hi
    If you currently experiencing this please ping me on twitter "31R". We are trying to figure out why this is happening to some apps on windows phone.

Thanks!
    Offcourse all of us in this thread are facing this issue. That's why we are here.
    01-08-2015 07:35 AM
    i too was facing the same problem , i wasnt able to launch whataspp , the tile was grayed out, it wasn't visible in apps section in storage sense, and also there was no view and share options even in store page

after doing a manual backup of apps and settings , i got back whatsapp without any loss of data

Settings -> Backup -> apps+settings -> back up now

thanks to this page
    01-29-2015 12:54 AM
    ^^You don't have to do anything. Just be patient and wait 5-15 min enjoying some cup of tea
    01-29-2015 01:25 AM
    My Whatsapp Tile is greyed out since two days :P

A phone restart didn't change anything.
    01-29-2015 09:24 AM
    My Whatsapp Tile is greyed out since two days :P

A phone restart didn't change anything.
    Did you check in this thread what you could do and what was the result.
    01-29-2015 09:40 AM
    I tried it and it work solved my prlm. I think this is the issue of backing up of app data in WP 8.1.

1. Open backup in settings
    2. Go to apps + settings
    3. If a backup is going cancel it or if no any backup is going on tap backup now and as soon as backup starts tap cancel .
    4. Now check your WhatsApp

Reply If its works, I also disabled my app data backup and haven't faced this issue after that till .
    01-29-2015 09:56 AM
    just uninstall and reinstall the app, no data will be lost before your last back up which is usually every night at 3.54 am
    01-29-2015 10:59 AM
    Had to reinstall the app. Luckily it kept a backup of my conversations.
    Harrie-S likes this.
    01-29-2015 12:16 PM
83 1234