Freeflight 3 (Parrot MiniDrones only) available for WP 8.1 and Windows 8.1

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Tipped this to the front page a few days ago, but it's possible it might've gotten lost in the Microsoft Band furor.

Parrot's Freeflight 3, which is necessary to connect to a Rolling Spider or Jumping Sumo minidrone (note that this does not work with the Drone 2.0), is now available on Windows platforms. Before this, AR.Freeflight (which only works with the Drone 2.0) was available for Windows 8, with nothing for Windows Phone. Parrot promised Freeflight 3 for October, and just barely met their deadline a few days ago. I was waiting for the WP app to be available before purchasing a Rolling Spider one, and ordered it immediately. I can confirm today that the app connects great to my 1020.

WP: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=44c44a93-f888-421c-af28-1a9bc7e81706
Windows 8: FreeFlight 3 app for Windows in the Windows Store

One thing to keep in mind though is that the Rolling Spider uses Bluetooth 4.0 LE, and therefore needs to be used on a device that supports that. (I believe the Jumping Sumo uses Wifi instead).

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Wow!
Will all Parrot drones work with the Windows app now?

I want the Rolling Spider pretty bad...

Nope, the regular sized one only works with the AR.Freeflight app, not this new Freeflight 3 app from what I can tell (though admittedly I don't own the regular one). There are hints within the app though that the upcoming (and far more expensive) Bebop drone might work with it, but I don't know for sure.

Also, another thing to take note of is that you only get about 5 minutes of flight per hour and a half of charging. You'll almost definitely want a spare battery.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Also, another thing to take note of is that you only get about 5 minutes of flight per hour and a half of charging. You'll almost definitely want a spare battery.

Very true extra batts are a must!

I'd love to have the Bebop!
Wish I would have kept an eye on Parrot.

I just shot a coupla hundred on a new RC EDF jet that I'll probably crash.
A drone with a camera would be a lot of fun.

Checking all the Parrot YouTubes as we speak!
:smile:

Thanx again for the thread!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon