ShareFolder Explorer Not Connecting To Network Shares

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello...
I downloaded ShareFolder Explorer, for the purpose of connecting to local network shares.
Multiple people have mentioned it working, so I assuming I'm doing something incorrectly.

Connection Name:
flcbaudiosrv01

Host:
flcbaudiosrv01 (also tried the IP address)

User:
appropriatedomain\appropriateusername (also tried just appropriateusername)

Password:
AppropriatePassword

Shared Folder:
audio

It's saying...
Logon failure: invalid user name or bad password.

Obviously, the username and password were the first things that I checked.
The share is \\flcbaudiosrv01\audio and I can map it, on my computer.
Either I am entering something, incorrectly, or the app isn't work, correctly.
Can you guys see something, obvious?
JJ

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi Joshua,

Just for testing purposes and eliminate the possibility of authentication/permissions being part of the problem, can you try creating a new share on your file server, maybe put a dummy text file in it or something, then make sure to allow Read access to "Everyone" at both file system level and network share level.

If you are using Windows 8/8.1 or Windows Server 2012 / 2012 R2, make sure you turn Password Protected File Sharing OFF for this test. Here is a link with instructions on how to do this.

Now try to access it from the app. If it works, then we know the communication and protocol works, but there could be an authentication or permissions issue to check out for the folder you originally intend to access.

I just tried this with and without authentication on both my NAS and my file server, and was able to successfully access both shares successfully. I didn't know about this app before reading your post, but now I think I will keep it. Pretty good app to access my shares from the phone. :cool:

I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just for testing purposes and eliminate the possibility of authentication/permissions being part of the problem, can you try creating a new share on your file server, maybe put a dummy text file in it or something, then make sure to allow Read access to "Everyone" at both file system level and network share level.
I don't have access to the server, but I created a share on my workstation.
I got the same "Logon Failure" warning, even though the share has Everyone with read access.
I'll have to test, further, on a home computer.
It's possible that the work network has other policies in place.
JJ

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just tried two computers, that are on our network but not on our domain, and they worked.
So, maybe ShareFolder Explorer has an issue with domains?
JJ

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I e-mailed the developer and he said that you use username@domain as the username (as opposed to domain\username).
It's working, now.
It would be nice if that information was available, within the app.
JJ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos