04-09-2016 08:29 AM
139 1234 ...
tools
    11-16-2014 04:17 AM
    Snapchat recently had a security breach. Wouldn't the move to block 3rd party apps be related to that?

If there's one good reason to use official apps, it's security. Especially apps where credentials (username/password) are required.
    Jazmac likes this.
    11-16-2014 06:52 AM
    Snapchat recently had a security breach. Wouldn't the move to block 3rd party apps be related to that?

If there's one good reason to use official apps, it's security. Especially apps where credentials (username/password) are required.
    Except WP doesn't actually have an official Snapchat app though.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-16-2014 10:32 AM
    Snap chat is at least thinking about making an app, considering I found this on their website https://support.snapchat.com/ca/incompatible
    Darkratte likes this.
    11-16-2014 11:06 AM
    There is nothing unfair about it. Snapchat is a private business that can support or not support whoever they please. They don't owe anybody anything. I doubt they have a vested interest in blocking users, so there must be a valid reason for doing what they're doing with 3rd party apps. Security maybe?
    Careful now, using logic like that around here is gonna get you reported to a mod or something...
    tgp likes this.
    11-16-2014 11:19 AM
    Seems like Rudy is telling people to ignore the email.
    "https://twitter.com/RudyHuyn/status/533723767973769216"

Maybe he has permission from Snapchat?
    11-16-2014 07:37 PM

Good find mate, it sounds like he may know something we don't.
    xandros9 and jojoe42 like this.
    11-16-2014 08:06 PM

Could be. I use both, original snap on Android tablet and 6snap on WP and I didn't get the mail.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-16-2014 11:40 PM
    Could be. I use both, original snap on Android tablet and 6snap on WP and I didn't get the mail.
    how do you use both? itll log you out on the other device if you log in on one
    i also use it on my ipad and 720
    11-17-2014 12:14 AM
    I'd email them back and tell them where to stick their service lol.
    If enough people would do it, they might take a hint and release an official app.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    11-17-2014 12:16 AM
    how do you use both? itll log you out on the other device if you log in on one
    i also use it on my ipad and 720

I use tablet at home and Lumia 820 on the go. 10.1"tablet is a little too big to carry out around all the time :D
    11-17-2014 12:32 AM
    I'd email them back and tell them where to stick their service lol.
    If enough people would do it, they might take a hint and release an official app.
    it might even pressurise them to contact Rudy and make 6snap official or something
    very plausable
    11-17-2014 12:33 AM
    I use tablet at home and Lumia 820 on the go. 10.1"tablet is a little too big to carry out around all the time :D
    i know that feel bro! :P :D
    Sport Driver likes this.
    11-17-2014 12:33 AM
    Erm...this is a thread about Snapchat, but in it, you're crusading out of context against Google(as usual). For a person who has been extremely vocal about your hate for everything Google, why now are you mad that their services aren't on Windows Phone?
    Not to mention MS doesn't seem to care about bringing their own apps to WP first anymore. Back in the day MS pulled this kind of thing and would do the same today if they had the market share. The only reason they're so open and cross platform friendly today is they know they have to be to stay relevant in a multi-platform environment, but they wish they dominated and didn't have to care about being open IMO.

Windrows Phone is a distant third and that's why the apps aren't there, and no one should expect a competitor like Google to help MS.
    11-17-2014 01:00 AM
    Not to mention MS doesn't seem to care about bringing their own apps to WP first anymore. Back in the day MS pulled this kind of thing and would do the same today if they had the market share. The only reason they're so open and cross platform friendly today is they know they have to be to stay relevant in a multi-platform environment, but they wish they dominated and didn't have to care about being open IMO.

Windrows Phone is a distant third and that's why the apps aren't there, and no one should expect a competitor like Google to help MS.
    There isn't a doubt in my mind that Office on Windows Phone will be better than it is on all of the competition. I'll be glad when it is, just so we can put this to rest.
    11-17-2014 01:25 AM
    Let's get back on topic

So, who's still working to tweet to Snapchat how we deserve an official app? Or, are we too busy blaming Google for world hunger?

#SNAPCHATONWP
    11-17-2014 01:53 PM
    I got my email today from snap chat saying I need to change my password and that I need to stop using a third party app for snap chat. I tried to send an email back to them saying I wouldn't have to use a third party app if snap chat made an official app for windows phone. Until that happens I will continue to use 6snap.
    11-18-2014 08:39 PM
    Snapchat might actually agree with you that WP is the best. They are looking at users though.

I still find it hard to believe how users here buy a phone they know is neglected by developers, and then complain about lack of support. Maybe another one-liner is in order:

Would you move to Minnesota and then complain that it's not fair how your friend who moved to Phoenix enjoys balmy winters?

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    I never buy a phone for its apps, but more ffor its functionality and use. WP works for me and I love the live tiles. But them neglecting us is just not right. I've even seen developers make apps for blackberry and not WP.
    twrist, forked and prasath1234 like this.
    11-18-2014 08:44 PM
    Yes I know. And I see your point. But like most things in life, it comes with compromises. You choose WP knowing full well that you won't get the developer support you'd like. It's still your choice.

There is nothing unfair about it. Snapchat is a private business that can support or not support whoever they please. They don't owe anybody anything. I doubt they have a vested interest in blocking users, so there must be a valid reason for doing what they're doing with 3rd party apps. Security maybe?

Then they shouldn't get mad or threaten to banish our account because they fail to make an app for a certain OS.
    11-18-2014 08:47 PM
    Then they shouldn't get mad or threaten to banish our account because they fail to make an app for a certain OS.
    Snapchat is responsible for security breaches. They are not obligated to provide you with service. You are choosing to use a platform they don't support. It's your problem, not theirs.

11-18-2014 09:01 PM
    Wow, entitled much?

SnapChat does not have to support Windows Phone; it's their application, they can support or not support whatever they'd like. Further, they have every right to disallow third party apps for whatever reason they choose. And, if they want, they can even write their application to block third party apps and the users who use them.

SnapChat doesn't owe you access to their app or their servers. If they don't want to support Windows Phone or third party apps, that's their call and there ain't much anyone can do about it.
    FinancialP likes this.
    11-18-2014 09:32 PM
    Snapchat is responsible for security breaches. They are not obligated to provide you with service. You are choosing to use a platform they don't support. It's your problem, not theirs.

Fair point, but there is a legitimate complaint to be made that they're enforcing the policy on people that have nowhere else to go.

I'd make the argument that for WP, they should allow it 3rd party apps, but let people know that their data can be compromised and that they're not responsible for anything that might happen to us. They have every right to get people to use their official app of they have one, but if they're not providing a service, then have no right to enforce how people use it. If they come out with an official app, then by all means disable my account for using 6snap, but to say, "lolz you're SOL dude, spend $100 that you might not have to use our app" is a huge d*ck move and one that is a legitimate complaint.

Obviously you're going to disagree and I'm clearly not going to change your mind, but IMO going out of your way to hurt people that you don't even offer support to is a huge middle finger.
    11-18-2014 09:41 PM
    They have every right to get people to use their official app of they have one, but if they're not providing a service, then have no right to enforce how people use it.
    In what world do you live in? SnapChat has EVERY right to enforce use of their own service how they want it used. It's... THEIR service. If they don't want Windows Phone and third-party apps using THEIR service, that's all there is to it. Again, they don't owe you usage of their service.
    11-18-2014 09:46 PM
    Fair point, but there is a legitimate complaint to be made that they're enforcing the policy on people that have nowhere else to go.
    Those people do have somewhere else to go. 95% of smartphone users have access to an official Snapchat app. If you're one of the few who do not, it is because of a choice you made.
    11-18-2014 10:00 PM
    You two are apparently completely misunderstanding me. Obviously they CAN enforce it, however, its a pretty big d*ck move to to say "not only are we not giving you an app, but you're not allowed to use other apps, so don't use our services". I don't even know where you two think they "owe" it to us, that's not even close to what I'm saying, I never said owing us anything. I'm sure you guys wouldn't be as ok with Google only putting their products on their own stuff, Microsoft pulling every app from other platforms, and Apple getting rid of iTunes from Windows. I mean, they've got every right to, right? It's their stuff after all! Like I said, they don't HAVE to, but its a big middle finger to say "yeah, youre not even good enough to unofficially be on our platform!". There's ways that they can allow it to happen and it will be at very little cost to them. They don't have to maintain any app, they don't have to be responsible for any breach, they don't have to do anything, but they're blocking it anyways. Maybe in your world we should just expect companies to only do things that benefit them and should not do things that could benefit them and their potential customers, but I definitely don't see it that way.

@tgp so you're telling me that if you were Snapchat PR, you would say "I don't care if you can't afford another phone, youre gonna have to buy another one!" Lol ok. Because apparently no one has ever decided to start using Snapchat after they get their phone. Whether Snapchat is there or not is obviously on the mind of people when they're buying a phone.
    forked and Shahroz Naeem like this.
    11-18-2014 10:48 PM
139 1234 ...