Snapchat team is blocking who uses third-party app

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Let's get back on topic

So, who's still working to tweet to Snapchat how we deserve an official app? Or, are we too busy blaming Google for world hunger?

#SNAPCHATONWP

chrisevans937

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I got my email today from snap chat saying I need to change my password and that I need to stop using a third party app for snap chat. I tried to send an email back to them saying I wouldn't have to use a third party app if snap chat made an official app for windows phone. Until that happens I will continue to use 6snap.

chrisevans937

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Snapchat might actually agree with you that WP is the best. They are looking at users though.

I still find it hard to believe how users here buy a phone they know is neglected by developers, and then complain about lack of support. Maybe another one-liner is in order:

Would you move to Minnesota and then complain that it's not fair how your friend who moved to Phoenix enjoys balmy winters?

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

I never buy a phone for its apps, but more ffor its functionality and use. WP works for me and I love the live tiles. But them neglecting us is just not right. I've even seen developers make apps for blackberry and not WP.

chrisevans937

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know. And I see your point. But like most things in life, it comes with compromises. You choose WP knowing full well that you won't get the developer support you'd like. It's still your choice.

There is nothing unfair about it. Snapchat is a private business that can support or not support whoever they please. They don't owe anybody anything. I doubt they have a vested interest in blocking users, so there must be a valid reason for doing what they're doing with 3rd party apps. Security maybe?

Then they shouldn't get mad or threaten to banish our account because they fail to make an app for a certain OS.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Then they shouldn't get mad or threaten to banish our account because they fail to make an app for a certain OS.
Snapchat is responsible for security breaches. They are not obligated to provide you with service. You are choosing to use a platform they don't support. It's your problem, not theirs.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Wow, entitled much?

SnapChat does not have to support Windows Phone; it's their application, they can support or not support whatever they'd like. Further, they have every right to disallow third party apps for whatever reason they choose. And, if they want, they can even write their application to block third party apps and the users who use them.

SnapChat doesn't owe you access to their app or their servers. If they don't want to support Windows Phone or third party apps, that's their call and there ain't much anyone can do about it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Snapchat is responsible for security breaches. They are not obligated to provide you with service. You are choosing to use a platform they don't support. It's your problem, not theirs.

Fair point, but there is a legitimate complaint to be made that they're enforcing the policy on people that have nowhere else to go.

I'd make the argument that for WP, they should allow it 3rd party apps, but let people know that their data can be compromised and that they're not responsible for anything that might happen to us. They have every right to get people to use their official app of they have one, but if they're not providing a service, then have no right to enforce how people use it. If they come out with an official app, then by all means disable my account for using 6snap, but to say, "lolz you're SOL dude, spend $100 that you might not have to use our app" is a huge d*ck move and one that is a legitimate complaint.

Obviously you're going to disagree and I'm clearly not going to change your mind, but IMO going out of your way to hurt people that you don't even offer support to is a huge middle finger.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They have every right to get people to use their official app of they have one, but if they're not providing a service, then have no right to enforce how people use it.

In what world do you live in? SnapChat has EVERY right to enforce use of their own service how they want it used. It's... THEIR service. If they don't want Windows Phone and third-party apps using THEIR service, that's all there is to it. Again, they don't owe you usage of their service.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Fair point, but there is a legitimate complaint to be made that they're enforcing the policy on people that have nowhere else to go.

Those people do have somewhere else to go. 95% of smartphone users have access to an official Snapchat app. If you're one of the few who do not, it is because of a choice you made.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
You two are apparently completely misunderstanding me. Obviously they CAN enforce it, however, its a pretty big d*ck move to to say "not only are we not giving you an app, but you're not allowed to use other apps, so don't use our services". I don't even know where you two think they "owe" it to us, that's not even close to what I'm saying, I never said owing us anything. I'm sure you guys wouldn't be as ok with Google only putting their products on their own stuff, Microsoft pulling every app from other platforms, and Apple getting rid of iTunes from Windows. I mean, they've got every right to, right? It's their stuff after all! Like I said, they don't HAVE to, but its a big middle finger to say "yeah, youre not even good enough to unofficially be on our platform!". There's ways that they can allow it to happen and it will be at very little cost to them. They don't have to maintain any app, they don't have to be responsible for any breach, they don't have to do anything, but they're blocking it anyways. Maybe in your world we should just expect companies to only do things that benefit them and should not do things that could benefit them and their potential customers, but I definitely don't see it that way.

@tgp so you're telling me that if you were Snapchat PR, you would say "I don't care if you can't afford another phone, youre gonna have to buy another one!" Lol ok. Because apparently no one has ever decided to start using Snapchat after they get their phone. Whether Snapchat is there or not is obviously on the mind of people when they're buying a phone.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I never said owing us anything.

You're right, you didn't actually use the term "owe". You did say, however, "but if they're not providing a service, then have no right to enforce how people use it." And "They don't have to maintain any app, they don't have to be responsible for any breach, they don't have to do anything, but they're blocking it anyways." Both make it sound like you think you have a right to use their service whether they want you to or not.

I'm sure you guys wouldn't be as ok with Google only putting their products on their own stuff, Microsoft pulling every app from other platforms, and Apple getting rid of iTunes from Windows.

Except for Google - which I don't use - I might be a bit put out. But that's a horrible analogy because SnapChat never supported Windows Phone, and so they never took anything away. A developer reverse-engineered their protocols - forged a Group 6 access - and they're talking about shutting that unauthorized access down. That's a VERY different scenario. Do you honestly not see that?

so you're telling me that if you were Snapchat PR, you would say "I don't care if you can't afford another phone, youre gonna have to buy another one!"

If I were SnapChat PR, I would say, "SnapChat is supported on iOS and Android using the official SnapChat app." Because that would be the reality of the situation, assuming, of course, that SnapChat doesn't make an official Windows Phone app and they do shut down third-party apps.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So are we allowed to use it?? :s confused

Idk, Rudy is a smart and honest guy, I don't think he would say ignore it without a good reason. There's 2 ways I see this going. First is that Rudy is in contact with Snapchat, and since he is the only 3rd party app I have ever seen that actually follows the Snapchat rules, they may allow it (not publicly of course). The other way I see it, Rudy may have reverse engineered the official to make 6snap appear to be official.

Personally I'm going to keep using 6snap, and if they ban my account, so be it cause I'm not leaving Windows Phone for an app.

Deanig_12

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Idk, Rudy is a smart and honest guy, I don't think he would say ignore it without a good reason. There's 2 ways I see this going. First is that Rudy is in contact with Snapchat, and since he is the only 3rd party app I have ever seen that actually follows the Snapchat rules, they may allow it (not publicly of course). The other way I see it, Rudy may have reverse engineered the official to make 6snap appear to be official.

Personally I'm going to keep using 6snap, and if they ban my account, so be it cause I'm not leaving Windows Phone for an app.

Ikr!! Fingers croosed us windows users can still use it

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
You sure? I didn't get the mail from them although I'm using 6 snap.

Pretty sure. I got the lock email myself. Not taking too many chances for now, and I'm going to avoid using it for the near future. Hopefully the snapchat team either caves or slaps out an app for us. How hard could it be?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss