Where is VLC media player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neglekted

May 20, 2014
Visit site
VideoLAN is a not for profit organisation with volunteers, mainly students, as developers. I agree that their communication could be better but most of them are at the start of careers and trying to manage the expectations of thousands of people is probably a big learning experience for them.

Hear, hear. This app is being developed by volunteers who probably get compensated either a tiny amount of money or nothing at all, so stop complaining already.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hear, hear. This app is being developed by volunteers who probably get compensated either a tiny amount of money or nothing at all, so stop complaining already.

They asked for money on Kickstarter for this, people have every right to complain that it is far later than they said it would be.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
They asked for money on Kickstarter for a Windows 8 version, which was delivered a long time ago. They were pretty clear from the start that ARM devices would need a ton of additional work and be a subsequent release.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
They asked for money on Kickstarter for a Windows 8 version, which was delivered a long time ago. They were pretty clear from the start that ARM devices would need a ton of additional work and be a subsequent release.

Nope, by making the ARM version a stretch goal they were asking for money for it as well.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Nope, by making the ARM version a stretch goal they were asking for money for it as well.

And where exactly did they do that? The Kickstarter post and description: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061646928/vlc-for-the-new-windows-8-user-experience-metro

The closest they did was say that money would 'speed up' the port to WP8. But the lack of an ARM toolchain for what they were doing was always the huge problem in this, and it was always clear it would be a ton of work.

I mean, I get it. People are frustrated because they feel like they donated for something that hasn't been delivered, but no promises were ever actually made with regards to Windows Phone. On top of that, if you donate for a Kickstarter without being fully aware of the risks that are involved (ie, there are a TON of funded Kickstarters that never delivered anything at all, with companies that went bankrupt due to poor planning), then that's just silly in itself. Delays are more frequent than projects being delivered 'on time'.

I mean, let's put it into perspective... I want VLC to be available as well, but seriously, for the two years people have been complaining about the lack of VLC, buying Moliplayer Pro would have cost less than 13 cents a month.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
And where exactly did they do that? The Kickstarter post and description: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061646928/vlc-for-the-new-windows-8-user-experience-metro

The closest they did was say that money would 'speed up' the port to WP8. But the lack of an ARM toolchain for what they were doing was always the huge problem in this, and it was always clear it would be a ton of work.

I mean, I get it. People are frustrated because they feel like they donated for something that hasn't been delivered, but no promises were ever actually made with regards to Windows Phone. On top of that, if you donate for a Kickstarter without being fully aware of the risks that are involvedly (ie, there are a TON of funded Kickstarters that never delivered anything at all, with companies that went bankrupt due to poor planning), then that's just silly in itself. Delays are more frequent than projects being delivered 'on time'.

I mean, let's put it into perspective... I want VLC to be available as well, but seriously, for the two years people have been complaining about the lack of VLC, buying Moliplayer Pro would have cost less than 13 cents a month.

Actually, reading the Kickstarter information, the phone one was intended all along as a part of the Windows 8 release. They even put in one of the updates that the extra money is helping them contract more developed. So, yes, they were paid for this. Don't act like they're doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. Read their first update.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Uh, what? There is absolutely nothing in the Kickstarter information that even mentions Windows Phone. In fact, they explicitly state (emphasis mine):

The initial release of VLC for Windows 8 will run on x86-based devices. Support for the ARM architecture will be added in a subsequent release, since this will involve further development work. The amount of work needed to tackle this subproject can hardly be estimated at this point.

Further updates only point out that they are hopeful to follow the Windows RT ARM version (which hasn't been completed yet) with a Windows Phone version:
While the roadmap is about Windows 8 for Intel followed by a version for Windows RT, it appears to be feasible to publish another version with a specific interface for Windows Phone shortly after, since the WP8 APIs are way more similar to Windows 8 than WP7 ones.
Therefore, this fundraiser will help developping a version of VLC for Windows Phone 8.

It's been a hard time working on this port, with many more technical issues than expected. Therefore, we've been slower than expected.

Sure, they hoped that it would be helpful to have the ARM / Windows RT version's code available to help in getting the Windows Phone version out. However, they've said all along that ARM would happen at a later date, and the rest was just optimism. At no point did they guarantee any timeline or make any promises about Windows Phone other than they hoped the more money they raised, the faster they could get it out. And as far as them being paid for this, of course. Except the only thing donators were promised as a definite is the reward tier that they chose: some hoodies, mugs, a banner in the app whenever it is released, etc. And as Kickstarter says themselves in their blog, they are not a store. You are not purchasing a specific product. You are supporting a group/company in making a product. Sometimes, those products don't get released at all:

It's not uncommon for things to take longer than expected. Sometimes the execution of the project proves more difficult than the creator had anticipated.
Kickstarter is full of ambitious, innovative, and imaginative ideas. Many of the projects you see on Kickstarter are in earlier stages of development and are looking for a community to bring them to life. The fact that Kickstarter allows creators to take risks and attempt to create something new is a feature, not a bug.

Again, I get that people donated money and want VLC to happen already. I want VLC to be released as well (and actually donated a few bucks as well). But Kickstarter support doesn't guarantee a product will actually be released, and it definitely doesn't guarantee it's timely. Feel free to be impatient about the VLC release, and feel free to keep waiting for it. It sounds like they're finally very close to a beta release. That being said, if you do wait, you only hurt yourself. Moliplayer Pro and CCplayer are both very good (and inexpensive) in the meantime, and with those you don't have to hold up your own enjoyment of your device for something that isn't ready yet. I couldn't imagine waiting two years for a function I need when there is a good alternative for $3.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Can we all wait until tomorrow for Microsoft and Videolan to figure out the problem? Then we can continue arguing. It may come tomorrow for all we know.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Uh, what? There is absolutely nothing in the Kickstarter information that even mentions Windows Phone. In fact, they explicitly state (emphasis mine):

Further updates only point out that they are hopeful to follow the Windows RT ARM version (which hasn't been completed yet) with a Windows Phone version:

Sure, they hoped that it would be helpful to have the ARM / Windows RT version's code available to help in getting the Windows Phone version out. However, they've said all along that ARM would happen at a later date, and the rest was just optimism. At no point did they guarantee any timeline or make any promises about Windows Phone other than they hoped the more money they raised, the faster they could get it out. And as far as them being paid for this, of course. Except the only thing donators were promised as a definite is the reward tier that they chose: some hoodies, mugs, a banner in the app whenever it is released, etc. And as Kickstarter says themselves in their blog, they are not a store. You are not purchasing a specific product. You are supporting a group/company in making a product. Sometimes, those products don't get released at all:

Again, I get that people donated money and want VLC to happen already. I want VLC to be released as well (and actually donated a few bucks as well). But Kickstarter support doesn't guarantee a product will actually be released, and it definitely doesn't guarantee it's timely. Feel free to be impatient about the VLC release, and feel free to keep waiting for it. It sounds like they're finally very close to a beta release. That being said, if you do wait, you only hurt yourself. Moliplayer Pro and CCplayer are both very good (and inexpensive) in the meantime, and with those you don't have to hold up your own enjoyment of your device for something that isn't ready yet. I couldn't imagine waiting two years for a function I need when there is a good alternative for $3.

I'm telling you it was a stretch goal.

http://www.neowin.net/news/vlc-for-windows-8-funding-exceeds-kickstarter-goal
http://windowsphonedaily.com/2012/1...-8-reaches-kickstarter-goal.html#.VHuz6djna9s
http://www.neowin.net/news/vlc-windows-8-kickstarter-push-will-also-fund-windows-phone-8-version
http://smartphonehere.blogspot.com/2012/12/vlc-kickstarter-for-wp8w8-in-last-24.html?m=1

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The only official place for that info is the Kickstarter page. If other sources didn't parse that information correctly, it's not really VLC's fault.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I have nothing to do whatsoever with VLC. People have had unrealistic expectations all along thinking this was going to be a quick port, something I personally mentioned from the beginning to be honest. On top of that, funded Kickstarter projects have a very low percentage of success (something few realize), only compounding the issue. And there's a ton of incorrect information just like what you were linking to. The only thing regarding Windows Phone that was ever announced (again, read all the Kickstarter update posts) is that they were hopeful that more funding on the Windows RT version would speed up development of a Windows Phone version (due to much of the code being compatible).

Like I said, I get it that people paid money and feel cheated (despite never being promised anything). It's just the whining just keeps growing exponentially. If it's that important to people, there are alternatives for very cheap. It's simply not worth wasting your time over waiting if it's that important to you (and frankly, if it's that important I'd question why you even waited this long in the first place).

Feel free to keep being upset at VLC, but I'm sure they want it out just as badly as you do.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I have nothing to do whatsoever with VLC. People have had unrealistic expectations all along thinking this was going to be a quick port, something I personally mentioned from the beginning to be honest. On top of that, funded Kickstarter projects have a very low percentage of success (something few realize), only compounding the issue. And there's a ton of incorrect information just like what you were linking to. The only thing regarding Windows Phone that was ever announced (again, read all the Kickstarter update posts) is that they were hopeful that more funding on the Windows RT version would speed up development of a Windows Phone version (due to much of the code being compatible).

Like I said, I get it that people paid money and feel cheated (despite never being promised anything). It's just the whining just keeps growing exponentially. If it's that important to people, there are alternatives for very cheap. It's simply not worth wasting your time over waiting if it's that important to you (and frankly, if it's that important I'd question why you even waited this long in the first place).

Feel free to keep being upset at VLC, but I'm sure they want it out just as badly as you do.

With Jean Baptiste-Kempf insulting Windows RT (and by extension WPRT) I'm not so sure.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
VLC thinks MS will update store instantly but in real I guess it will take lot of time than they think.... So instead of waiting like we used to wait for several months they should release the local appx package 📦

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
VLC thinks MS will update store instantly but in real I guess it will take lot of time than they think.... So instead of waiting like we used to wait for several months they should release the local appx package 📦

Asked videolan the same question if they can release .appx instead. Let's see what they have to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99