VLC beta - first impressions

vegardaleksander

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Wish they implemented Chromecast function. Have a home server running Plex for my libary of movies/TV, but sometimes it would be nice to just flick a random local mediafila to the Chromecast.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
people talk about UI here and UI there... I mean, the UI it's important but VLC shows how it can look good and be a crappy media player. no sound... I don't know why they thought it was a good thing to release it that way, it's like releasing Windows 10 beta with no way to use file explorer, and the start menu it's a place holder you can't even click.

But my point is, who cares about UI, if in the end you would play the video on fullscreen and not even see that? I think Moliplayer still is the best thing for WP, it's not like I use it too much, but waiting VLC to implement something decent in 2014 it's impossible. and that happened only because they were stubborn enough to want to port the code, instead of making it faster and start from scratch. I don't know what is on some developers minds, but sometimes it doesn't make sense.
But good luck to WP users who want to use VLC only because it's "VLC" brand. I hope VLC does something good for you. I just uninstalled and forgot about it, Win8 app is crap, WP is crap. and desktop while not crap, it's not good enough compared to potplayer, so I won't use it on desktop. it's obvious they would fix the Audio (apparently they already did) but I can't stand them it's like they love to troll Windows users.

Aashish13

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
people talk about UI here and UI there... I mean, the UI it's important but VLC shows how it can look good and be a crappy media player. no sound... I don't know why they thought it was a good thing to release it that way, it's like releasing Windows 10 beta with no way to use file explorer, and the start menu it's a place holder you can't even click.

But my point is, who cares about UI, if in the end you would play the video on fullscreen and not even see that? I think Moliplayer still is the best thing for WP, it's not like I use it too much, but waiting VLC to implement something decent in 2014 it's impossible. and that happened only because they were stubborn enough to want to port the code, instead of making it faster and start from scratch. I don't know what is on some developers minds, but sometimes it doesn't make sense.
But good luck to WP users who want to use VLC only because it's "VLC" brand. I hope VLC does something good for you. I just uninstalled and forgot about it, Win8 app is crap, WP is crap. and desktop while not crap, it's not good enough compared to potplayer, so I won't use it on desktop. it's obvious they would fix the Audio (apparently they already did) but I can't stand them it's like they love to troll Windows users.

the problem is thomas nigro the dev is the only person (student) developing wp app. its not handeld by professional devs and only one mN working on it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
i tested with 1 mp4, the xbox video and moliplayer plays 100% fine and not only did it randomly not play, when it did, it looked like it was using software rendering of the video (it's a 720p clip) so it advanced a couple of frames, skip a ton, advance a few more, skip a ton more, etc, etc...

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

They obviously didn't know that it couldn't play audio when they released it. They said they it was a technical issue with the release version that went through the store.

Also, there were 8 million lines of code. Are you trying to say that rewriting 8 million lines of code from scratch is easier than porting your current model over?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So I played a .wmv file and it seemed to play fine.

Also, word to the wise, you probably don't want to install this on an SD card yet. The performance takes too much of a nosedive. Other than that, I'm enjoying this app so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss