VLC beta - first impressions

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded the update and good to hear sound now working on my 1020!

Look forward to seeing the speed and UI of the app cleaned up in the next few updates.

Haven't had any crashes so far, speed/performance is the only issue.

maggotbeer

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
is the lack of gapless playback an os limitation? I haven't found any apps that have this functionality yet. If yes, it's unbelievable that a tech giant like Microsoft with its own music subscription service has not added that thing in 4 years!

Regarding VLC it's still unusable, mainly due to the lack of background audio and it needs some speed improvements and UI tweaks but I'm fine with that since it's a beta. One thing that I would like to see is the option to change the default startup page, I hope they add it in a future update.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
is the lack of gapless playback an os limitation? I haven't found any apps that have this functionality yet.

Yesterday I came across an app that claimed to have gapless playback. Can't remember what it was. I wasn't really looking for a music player so I didn't pay much attention to it.

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I came across an app that claimed to have gapless playback. Can't remember what it was. I wasn't really looking for a music player so I didn't pay much attention to it.

If I remember correctly, "Music Surge" claims to have gapless playback. It's a perfectly lovely app, very nicely done and all, but I don't think whoever wrote that description has a good grasp on what "gapless playback" is.

There are apps that get really close to gapless playback - but the catch is that none of them can access the shared Music library, so they're all a little awkward to use. (Basically, I think the deal is that you can only play content from the Music library through the standard music-playing APIs, meaning no gapless and that annoying scratchy sound between tracks; you're free to roll your own better music-playing code, but you can't touch the Library with it.)

In my experience, Spotify (with a Premium subscription) does a pretty good job with gapless playback - often the gaps are unnoticeable, and when they're noticeable they're WAY smaller than with the standard built-in playback code (a tenth of a second gap is noticeable but tolerable, at least to me, while the half-second-or-more that I get from the standard players irks me way more than something so trivial ought to).

FLAC Player SD also does a good job, but you have to jump through hoops to get there - it'll play FLAC files easily, like its name implies, and gaplessly - but it will only play MP3s if you rename them to a different extension (related to the Library restrictions alluded to above), and that's just a pain.

Subsonic Music Streamer will stream music gaplessly from a server that you create and maintain. It's a good solution if you have a lot of digital music AND a spare internet-facing computer to put it on AND if configuring a server doesn't scare you - but I think that's a small audience.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
If I remember correctly, "Music Surge" claims to have gapless playback. It's a perfectly lovely app, very nicely done and all, but I don't think whoever wrote that description has a good grasp on what "gapless playback" is.

Yep. That was the one.

Nam Long

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
yeah . latest update makes the app smoother but still no background support . There is also this new bar that takes up more display space which i think make the app more messy than 3 dots option.
And has anyone else had albums issues ? many of my albums aren't showing up. Some shows up without cover ( everything are fine in Xbox Music and OneMusic ). Is it only me or app bug ?

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
yeah . latest update makes the app smoother but still no background support . There is also this new bar that takes up more display space which i think make the app more messy than 3 dots option.
And has anyone else had albums issues ? many of my albums aren't showing up. Some shows up without cover ( everything are fine in Xbox Music and OneMusic ). Is it only me or app bug ?

I have the album issue too.

Nam Long

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
i don't know if there are anything else but i saw some different things like :
- new navigation bar with multiple icons
- Auto getting album cover which is hilarious ( it got the wrong cover to replace my own existing one and every songs in it are unknown now )
- Music page displays 3 columns and 3 sort settings
- still no bcakground sound and laggy
I wish there is a feedback button right in the app *sigh*

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
For me it's a crash after a crash after another crash 💥, it happens when I swipe to see my music, it tries to load the art for the albums and then it crashes.

Newguru

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
All my music is trough the Xbox music subscription. I think the VLC app has amazing potential, but till now, I can't get it to play any of that music. It recognizes it - the albums, artists, songs and art are all spot on - but won't play it (no background audio and all the songs are 0.00 in length when I choose them). I suspect VLC can't play Xbox music content, can it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss