Looking to switch banks, looking for one with a good supported Windows app, any suggestions?

Tichshew

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
First of all I live in the States. Been with my small local bank since I got my first job and I really need to switch. There's a few Bank of Americas by me and a couple Key Banks. I would like to be able to finally use an app to manage my accounts and pay my bills like everyone else I know does. I don't really care which bank I use. Anyone out there who uses the Bank of America app or another major bank's app that can provide some feedback on how well it performs?

Santos lil elpair

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Choosing a bank based on the availability of an app is a pretty bad idea. Things you SHOULD look at are the FEES and BENEFITS. Credit Unions are probably the best if you are just getting started in life as they have lower fees and lower interest rates, not to mention you can generally go to any credit union and use their atm for free. Outside of that, it really depends where you live and if you have income. Most actual banks vs credit unions will require you to have direct deposit to avoid a monthly fee on your account. Personally I didn't like having a BofA account and ditched it once I left my employer that was using them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Choosing a bank based on the availability of an app is a pretty bad idea.

I thought the same thing when I read the title, before even opening the thread.

To answer your question, there are often local or regional banks that are better to deal with than a national bank. This of course depends on where you live and your local options. Look for a bank or credit union that fulfills your needs, and also fees are something to consider. Also look for things like lobby/drive through hours and branch locations. Start here, and if your choice has a WP app that would be a bonus. Right here is the downside to a local bank:Capture.JPG

I personally use a local bank. There are probably 8 branches within 10 miles of my house (I live in a rural community, but very heavily populated for rural). The personal one on one service is a definite bonus. I do put up with a bit on the app side of it. They have an Android app, but it's missing one important feature: mobile deposits. I can't do that with my phone. I don't know if their iPhone app does deposits or not. I could switch to a major bank and get mobile deposits, but it's not worth it to me.

Tichshew

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't need a bank for anything other than somewhere to deposit my checks every Thursday, that's it. I already have a savings and I write one check a month to my landlord. So no it doesn't matter to me what benefits they offer or any of that, I just need a checking account and a debit card and a bank that's easily accessible both in person and over my phone.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Choosing a bank based on the availability of an app is a pretty bad idea..

I also agree, BUT...

I have BoA. It is free Checking. I like to run my banking self-service. Couple it with a Savings and implement "Keep the Change." Now every Debit Card purchase gets rounded up and the extra goes into Savings. It's like putting money in the bank. Pun intended. Easy Peasy way to save up some cash.

LOVE the BoA App on Windows Phone. Deposit checks all the time via App. Get alerts to my phone for conditions I dictate.

I never go to my bank, don't need to and don't miss traveling there even though it is only 2 miles away.

​LOVE living in the 21st century.

Tichshew

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Fellow Windows users, I know how banks work, that wasn't the question. Bank of America and Key Bank are both near my apartment, and I just need a checking account to deposit my checks and maybe pay bills. If you have used the apps, how was your experience?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Like I said above... LOVE the App for Bank of America

It's full flavor. Mobile deposit. Xfer funds. Alerts. Multiple user (I have my wife's log-in stored beside mine.) Secure. No hassle. Easy to set up. Easy to navigate. Fast. Efficient. Looks slimming. Smells nice. Saves fuel (seriously - you almost never have to drive to the bank unless you want to.)

trainplane

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
With most banks you can still do everything you need to do from their mobile site if it doesn't have an app. Citibank doesn't have an app but I don't have a problem using their mobile site.

The main thing I use an app for is to deposit checks via the camera. BofA has this and I do use it. They do have a limit to how much you can deposit from the camera per month but that's understandable for security reasons. I agree with others that BofA has an excellent and easy to use app. Whoever developed it should be commended.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
People in here are saying not to choose a bank because of apps. But yet now that the Chase app is gone, I'm severely handicapped. I need to be able to deposit checks. I never have time to visit the actual bank and the actual amount of atm's that can do deposits are very few. I have not been to an actual bank in a few years.

I came in here to see how the other banks are that still have apps. I heard that Citi claims to continue support. Any thoughts?

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
The Citi app is only for credit card accounts and does not support bank accounts. I think your only options that meet your requirements, app wise, are Ally Bank or Wells Fargo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes