New music app TEH Jukebox - Is it any good?

Cask

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Would it be possible to add the following please Alister?

Artwork & track info when the phone is on lock screen. The ability to swipe right or left to skip track forward and back would be awesome.

I noticed you have implemented some options when pressing and holding on a track from the library view (this is great). Would it be possible to add to that list - "Info/Tags" (allows you to view track info and edit tags) and "Delete" (the option to delete the track from your device, not the playlist)?

Something like the below library view would be awesome.... sometimes we want to listen to music per genre, album, artist (you've got this one covered already:), recently added etc.

View attachment 101436

I'd be happy to donate if you could fix all of the above.

Attachments

• 9097bf65ed.jpg
    9097bf65ed.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Alister Wp8

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Cask and thanks for your support! I'm glad you took the time to send some ideas through - I'll post on each one if that's ok.

1) Unfortunately I am unable to add the artwork or track names to the lock screen as Microsoft have locked off that functionality going from Windows Phone 8.0 to Windows Phone 8.1 RT apps - which is a shame because I needed to make the app using the 8.1 framework so that playback of other file types were possible..
Until Microsoft restore that functionality, all I can suggest is to hit the lock screen button to bring the lock screen up and then hit volume up/down once (it won't change the volume on only one press) and then a bar will come from the top telling you what track it is.
Not ideal obviously but there's nothing more I can do on that one I'm sorry!

2) I have also thought about having some basic track tag editing functionality, along with the ability to delete files - I might do that for a future update. I'm just concerned if something goes wrong with the tags editing with the app I'd be ruining someone else's library and that concerns me!

3) Yeah the library idea is great and something I've been thinking of the best way to do.
Teh Jukebox isn't a library based player yet (just a file/folder one) but I could extend it with library functionality soon - just need to think about the best way to do so without slowing the app down too much!

I'll let you know about updates as I do them. I'm posting them in the thread I've made here:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/app-spotlight/344460-teh-jukebox-powerful-multi-file-format-music-player-%5Bofficial-thread%5D.html

Thanks again Cask!

Cask

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi Cask and thanks for your support! I'm glad you took the time to send some ideas through - I'll post on each one if that's ok.

1) Unfortunately I am unable to add the artwork or track names to the lock screen as Microsoft have locked off that functionality going from Windows Phone 8.0 to Windows Phone 8.1 RT apps - which is a shame because I needed to make the app using the 8.1 framework so that playback of other file types were possible..
Until Microsoft restore that functionality, all I can suggest is to hit the lock screen button to bring the lock screen up and then hit volume up/down once (it won't change the volume on only one press) and then a bar will come from the top telling you what track it is.
Not ideal obviously but there's nothing more I can do on that one I'm sorry!

2) I have also thought about having some basic track tag editing functionality, along with the ability to delete files - I might do that for a future update. I'm just concerned if something goes wrong with the tags editing with the app I'd be ruining someone else's library and that concerns me!

3) Yeah the library idea is great and something I've been thinking of the best way to do.
Teh Jukebox isn't a library based player yet (just a file/folder one) but I could extend it with library functionality soon - just need to think about the best way to do so without slowing the app down too much!

Thanks again Cask!

Thanks for the response Alister.

Ok... Point 1 & 2 are not deal breakers (I will not return to using dbpoweramp on my htc one as my music player:).

The library feature on the other hand is a very sought after feature for users who will be spending money on a decent music player. I hope you get the time and support to sort this out. Like I said, I would be happy to donate towards this as a promised feature :)

Looking forward to future updates!

Thanks and keep up the good work :)

Alister Wp8

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Streifenleopard, nice to hear from you again :)
Playlists are just simple m3u files - you can put them in any folder in your sd card.
If you don't use sd cards you can put them in any folder in your music library.

Songs can be listed as a full path to the song for example with an sd card it would be something like:
D:\Music\Song.flac
Or they can be relative to the folder the playlist is in eg for a playlist stored in D:\Music\Playlists\ you could enter:
..\Song.flac
But you can save the playlists you create in Teh Jukebox within the app to a folder of your choice and then load them later.

With scrobbling, it doesn't work with Scrobbleme as that is locked to only work with Xbox Music. Teh Jukebox doesn't have any native scrobbling ability at the moment, but it's a good idea I can look into!

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
first for the Scrobble-thing:
I don't know how difficult it is to implement but you'll most likely please each and everyone that has purchased your app as it is prominent among audio fetishists who also go after anything that says 'gapless'.
So I purchased your app and every playlist I try to open says 'no valid songs could be found...' The syntax of my playlists is this:
\Music\Led Zeppelin_1969_Led Zeppelin II\05_Heartbreaker.mp3
(created by MusicBee)
I can see that TEH Jukebox thinks the SD-card (where all my music is) is D:/, can I change this somewhere? In TEH Jukebox, I also have a folder under D: called Music where all my music appears again?
thanks for your reply!

Alister Wp8

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Leopard,
Ok then the easiest way to make your playlist work with Teh Jukebox is to open the playlist in a text editor (like notepad) and find replace \Music with D:\Music (as long as the files are on the sd card in that folder!) Then Teh Jukebox will be able to find the songs properly.

Please let me know how you go!

With Scrobbing, there is a public api for android and ios but not Windows Phone.
I'll do some more looking into it to see what I can find however!

Best,
-Alister

Yazterfari Majnoon

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Does TEH Jukebox work on the lumia 930. In settings it does not show "Music Library" so I can't set where the app needs to go look for my music files. I even uninstalled the app and re-installed and still the same

e-Sildur

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Can your app recognize and play .ogg folder without a problem?

This might seem a trivial question, but I've tried a few WP8.1 players that claimed to support .ogg, but skipped them when building media list or failed to recognize .ogg as media files at all (so folders with ogg files wasn't even show on music folder list). VLC is only player I've found so far to recognize them without a problem, but it is unable to play them in background and playback stops as soon as screen fades :/

I'm using Lumia 730.

Alister Wp8

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Does TEH Jukebox work on the lumia 930. In settings it does not show "Music Library" so I can't set where the app needs to go look for my music files. I even uninstalled the app and re-installed and still the same

Ho Yazterfari, I'm sorry for the late reply - I normally get notifications when someone posts on this thread but didn't after you posted.
If your phone has no SD card slot then your music must be stored in the Music folder in your phone's internal memory. You cant use any other folder. This is a system limitation from Microsoft.
I hope that helps!

Alister Wp8

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Can your app recognize and play .ogg folder without a problem?

This might seem a trivial question, but I've tried a few WP8.1 players that claimed to support .ogg, but skipped them when building media list or failed to recognize .ogg as media files at all (so folders with ogg files wasn't even show on music folder list). VLC is only player I've found so far to recognize them without a problem, but it is unable to play them in background and playback stops as soon as screen fades :/

I'm using Lumia 730.

Hi e-Sildur,
Yes it can and most of my library is OGG :) Teh Jukebox will continue to play when the screen goes black and will remember when you last left off if you stop playing and come back to the app later.
I hope that helps!

e-Sildur

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I did buy it and, indeed, app does work on my mobile as promised :)
It also allows me to delete unwanted tracks from my SD directly from the app level, which is another handy feature often missing in another apps.

PS. I registered specifically to ask for this app, so this is just my 2nd post. I know it might look suspicious so I want to clarify that I'm in no way linked to Alister or app team (if there's any besides of him).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6