01-23-2015 04:17 AM
46 12
tools
    It's clear to everyone that WP has less apps. But the question is do they have the apps I need? Yes and No? For my windows phone experience there are only 2 apps that I miss from my iphone and Android experience.
    Those are my banking app and my credit card swiper, meaning paypal, square or quicken. That said I have a 8 inch Samsung tablet that I do my banking on and all credit card purchases from my clients . Do I wish they were on my windows phones....YES! But do I run around all over the internet shouting like a drama queen about the lack of them, hell NO. If there is app you have to have buy a $69 Android device and shut up.
    Windows phone development is gonna be a ride that's slower than some of these drama queens can bare. I would suggest they get off now and leave it to us that appreciate the platform. I gave up a top of the line Android and a iphone to get to the windows platform and I love it. Android and iphone are great devices but the moment I realized that they were no longer the device for me, i didn't sit around in the Apple or Android forum bellyaching about it. If windows phone does not satisfy you, please move on to some platform with a bunch of apps that you can be happy with. Do us all a favor please.
    Happy Holidays!
    raycpl, fdalbor, dKp1977 and 5 others like this.
    12-26-2014 10:53 AM
    Well said!
    12-26-2014 11:08 AM
    I lol'd at that article. One is a phone OS and the other is a desktop OS. That's completely apples to oranges. You don't do the same thing on both, how is that article even valid? I can appreciate the sentiment towards Windows Phone but that lack of apps on a desktop OS don't really matter as nearly all online services are accessed via the web browser. I'm typically platform agnostic liking both Microsoft and Apple products, but this article seems like a waste of bandwidth served to defend Windows Phone's lack of popular apps. That's the real problem, not the platforms lack of apps, those are there. The problem is lack of popular apps e.g. Snapchat.
    12-26-2014 11:51 AM
    There is app gap, but a very small today.
    Just few apps I currently miss.
    The biggest problem is the quality gap.
    EBUK likes this.
    12-26-2014 01:51 PM
    Something everyone is forgetting is that Macs do not have the millions and millions of legacy apps that Windows does and so the store on the Mac is actually much more representative of the entire software domain available to run on a Mac. (Not everything for sure, but a large chunk of it).

Therefore to compare the Mac App Store with the Windows (or Windows Phone) App store is not that unreasonable. He's pointing out that no one questions a Mac's software portfolio despite it being lacking (in number) compared to Windows (phone) and yet Windows gets the hard sell all the time, not a Mac. Personally I agree with that premise.
    The point doesn't change. There is legacy software Macs might not be able to use, but as one who isn't a Mac user, I can't really say what. The important thing is that the missing stuff is mostly legacy software. If a member of the general public bought a Mac today, that person would likely be able to will any wants and needs just from current software. Lacking support for years-old accounting or data entry software isn't the same to the masses as it is to a business. However, if someone goes an buys a Windows Phone or Windows 8.1 device today, that person will be met with current and future compromises. NBA GameTime isn't there. All Snapchat functionality was just ripped from users' hands, basically (and an official app isn't proven to be coming soon). Despite app developers' saying for months and years, "Windows Phone versions are in the works," we're still missing legitimate apps on the platform (even if they're things I don't use).

The point the author made is simply moronic though. He's talking about the OSX App Store as if it's the only real source of OSX software, and it's not even the MAJORITY source. Windows Phone misses out on basic applications and features of its competition, while on a mass-market scale, OSX suffers on the legacy gaming front more than anything else, and that's partially because Microsoft is so willing to help out opposing companies to gain marketshare, even if it hurts Microsoft's overall position with mobile.
    12-26-2014 01:59 PM
    I lol'd at that article. One is a phone OS and the other is a desktop OS. That's completely apples to oranges. You don't do the same thing on both, how is that article even valid? I can appreciate the sentiment towards Windows Phone but that lack of apps on a desktop OS don't really matter as nearly all online services are accessed via the web browser. I'm typically platform agnostic liking both Microsoft and Apple products, but this article seems like a waste of bandwidth served to defend Windows Phone's lack of popular apps. That's the real problem, not the platforms lack of apps, those are there. The problem is lack of popular apps e.g. Snapchat.
    Well in a way they AREN'T Apples and Oranges.

If you compare Windows 8.1 to Mac - two desktop OS, we have 170k apps for Windows 8.1 plus all the legacy software vs what do we have for Apple? 23k?

Now, if you wait for this article to come around after 8-10 months, you have Windows 10 (a desktop and mobile OS) to compare with Mac or whatever OS. That Windows will have 700k apps on both desktop and mobile. What will Apple have on desktop? or mobile? or combined?
    12-26-2014 03:11 PM
    Well in a way they AREN'T Apples and Oranges.

If you compare Windows 8.1 to Mac - two desktop OS, we have 170k apps for Windows 8.1 plus all the legacy software vs what do we have for Apple? 23k?

Now, if you wait for this article to come around after 8-10 months, you have Windows 10 (a desktop and mobile OS) to compare with Mac or whatever OS. That Windows will have 700k apps on both desktop and mobile. What will Apple have on desktop? or mobile? or combined?
    The article mentioned Windows Phone directly. Even with these "700k" apps for Windows 10 not all will be optimized for mobile, devs are still gonna have to tweak a few things here and there to optimize code for specific screen sizes. Not all devs are willing to do that for Windows Phone look at all the dead apps how long has Instagram been in beta? It's not hard to admit that that app was just a placeholder to get people to shut up. That's pretty sad. Oh and btw iOS alone has over 1.3 million apps in the app store.

Edit: I forgot to mention, 8-10 months time is an ample amount of time for people to further give up on Windows Phone and the degradation of its market share.
    12-26-2014 03:24 PM
    The article mentioned Windows Phone directly. Even with these "700k" apps for Windows 10 not all will be optimized for mobile, devs are still gonna have to tweak a few things here and there to optimize code for specific screen sizes. Not all devs are willing to do that for Windows Phone look at all the dead apps how long has Instagram been in beta? It's not hard to admit that that app was just a placeholder to get people to shut up. That's pretty sad. Oh and btw iOS alone has over 1.3 million apps in the app store.

Edit: I forgot to mention, 8-10 months time is an ample amount of time for people to further give up on Windows Phone and the degradation of its market share.
    So lets take this further. 10 months and WP does poorly. We get no new apps. Still, 700k apps on WP and desktop. Lets say only 50% are going to be compatible aka universal apps. Still 350k apps that run on phone, tablet, laptop and desktop. Do those 1.3 million run on all four form factors on iOS? I bet that encourages people to buy iOS because who needs app on desktop that doesn't even support touch screens right?
    12-26-2014 09:27 PM
    So lets take this further. 10 months and WP does poorly. We get no new apps. Still, 700k apps on WP and desktop. Lets say only 50% are going to be compatible aka universal apps. Still 350k apps that run on phone, tablet, laptop and desktop. Do those 1.3 million run on all four form factors on iOS? I bet that encourages people to buy iOS because who needs app on desktop that doesn't even support touch screens right?
    What you say here is logical. By all counts, a universal app store should help WP take off. But will this be the holy grail? We've been hearing since like forever "after this update or after we get Instagram..." I've come to the conclusion that I'll believe it when I see it. Nothing has worked so far. WP sales remain stagnant. Sales last quarter were flat, which means it actually lost market share due to higher sales overall. This might work, but then again, it might not.
    12-26-2014 09:41 PM
    I'm satisfied except, no Cisco VPN
    12-26-2014 10:04 PM
    I'm satisfied except, no Cisco VPN
    Cisco is a hater because of Skype busting up their Telepresence thing.
    12-26-2014 10:08 PM
    Cisco is a hater because of Skype busting up their Telepresence thing.
    Skype and Lync!
    12-26-2014 10:10 PM
    What you say here is logical. By all counts, a universal app store should help WP take off. But will this be the holy grail? We've been hearing since like forever "after this update or after we get Instagram..." I've come to the conclusion that I'll believe it when I see it. Nothing has worked so far. WP sales remain stagnant. Sales last quarter were flat, which means it actually lost market share due to higher sales overall. This might work, but then again, it might not.
    if Microsoft release their new apps with quality, I'm sure the third party devs will follow.
    12-26-2014 10:19 PM
    I think the store certainly has "enough" apps. Every once in awhile I get frustrated that something I need isn't there but most of the time it's adequate.
    12-27-2014 05:03 AM
    I think the store certainly has "enough" apps. Every once in awhile I get frustrated that something I need isn't there but most of the time it's adequate.
    "enough" low quality apps :)
    12-27-2014 07:00 AM
    Maybe windows phone needs an intense social media campaign to get it some attention
    12-27-2014 09:49 AM
    Maybe windows phone needs an intense social media campaign to get it some attention
    No, throwing fits on Twitter hasn't worked in the past.
    12-27-2014 10:46 AM
    I liked the article. If anything it points out blatant and biased fanboyism.

Yeah, I understand a Mac doesn't need apps because it can install programs. But going back to the number comparisons which is what opponents like to do, exactly how many programs are available for Mac? Windows has close to 5 million? Does that mean Mac is garbage because they don't have as many programs? No. That is a point the author is making.

And yeah, Apple products just work and work well with each other, but is it that terribly difficult to get it to work well when you only care about having it work with your own ecosystem? How many Apple services / products exist on Android and WP compared to Windows services/products on other platforms? Precisely. It's reasons like this why Apple is non-existent in the enterprise environment. Our windows products have to work with several different platforms, and work with everything from our dosimeter badges to our company's GOES satellite. Not only does Apple not have the software but they do not allow administrators to tweak the OS to fit our needs. Windows does. It is the work horse OS on this planet.

I do agree that some MS products work better on competing platforms that WP it's completely aggravating. It's frustrating as hell. But I understand. Look, MS is going back to their roots as a SOFTWARE company first. They are focusing on where the market share is ($$$). I don't believe this means MS doesn't have faith in their phone platform, I just think it's good business sense to focus on the other 95% of your market to solidify your grasp before competing software/services gets a foothold. It doesn't feel like the right thing to do but it is the right thing to do.

With all this said, I think about WP now compared to a year ago. EVERYTHING in the WP ecosystem and arsenal is better now, and it does everything that I want it to do and more.
    hidayat225, Al4video and jojoe42 like this.
    12-29-2014 07:58 AM
    Thanks Pocketnow - I tried the Mac and have not looked back. You are right, people frustrated with the windows app store should all try a Mac - they won't regret it! Nice to have a real app store instead of the M$ joke.
    01-17-2015 12:57 PM
    Comparing windows phone and mac? Who wrote that?...
    01-17-2015 01:45 PM
    I liked the article. If anything it points out blatant and biased fanboyism.

Yeah, I understand a Mac doesn't need apps because it can install programs. But going back to the number comparisons which is what opponents like to do, exactly how many programs are available for Mac? Windows has close to 5 million? Does that mean Mac is garbage because they don't have as many programs? No. That is a point the author is making.
    I totally agree with you!
    Lovely to read all the comments here, obvious from people who really don't understand what the article is all about.
    01-23-2015 04:17 AM
46 12