How come no call recorder yet in the store ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasoumi

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Its really annoying how we dont have a call recording app in wp store , For some people's daily life its so helpful , Hope we get a handy one anytime soon ........

P.S. How come non thought of it annoying before lol !

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
re:

Wel its easy.
MS doesnt allow it.
When you recieve a phonecall, the ( recording) mic automaticly shuts down.
There whas one in WP7, but doesnt work anymore in wp8x
The reason behind it is that it is not in every coutry alowed to record phonecalls ( privacy issues ).
So to avoid any hassle they desided not to allow any cal recorder.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Apps don't have that degree of permission, so its not currently possible nor do I expect it to be soon.
2. Its illegal in many places, but that's a secondary concern.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Its really annoying how we dont have a call recording app in wp store , For some people's daily life its so helpful , Hope we get a handy one anytime soon ........

P.S. How come non thought of it annoying before lol !

There are a ton of threads about this... How come none of the people asking about it have tried a site search.

Nothing good ever comes of recording conversations unless you are a business and it is a call center environment.

There is a reason it is disabled on these personal devices.

Hasoumi

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback , Though it doesnt make sense to be illegal , An app like callers ID would make sense .

unfortunately in my work its effective to have an app like that , Cause it would cause trouble if i got fake information or not accurate , So it could help me to free myself , Also in my country many judicial decisions and people were accused in criminal cases based on calls recorded , MS making it hard to struggle with WP :/

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Re:

The reason behind it is that it is not in every coutry alowed to record phonecalls ( privacy issues
Not so much that it is illegal to record the call but it is illegal to use the recording for other than as a private aide memoire without the consent of the other party.

odklizec

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
It's the same in iOS and I guess by default also in Android? It may be possible with rooted/jailbreaked systems. It's simply not allowed in non-hacked OS and the purpose is to protect people privacy. If it's so important to you, then you can use a 3rd party device attached to your phone to record your calls.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I my country it's also illegal, except if you inform the person on the other side that you are going to do it. So if you really want it put the call on speaker and record it with another device.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes...

Be sure to announce each and every time that the call is being recorded (just like the call centers do) or you could face problems. This way if someone does not want you recording them they can disconnect.

Again, I think it goes to these being personal communications devices. There are huge issues with recording personal conversations.

​Call recording has not ever been baked into a mobile OS, so far as I know. This has always been a 3rd party area.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Best way to do the record is with a "pass-through" device, where you plug the recording device where the headset plugs in, then plug the headset into the recording device, which will pass the call through and allow you to on the phone while you record it.

Such a device can be built at home with a few parts from Radio Shack and a personal digital voice recorder. Yeah, I know exactly how to do it. Perhaps at some point I'll put together a tutorial for it, but currently too busy with my children to think about it. Perhaps after school starts back I can consider it.

About the legality of the recording... Yes, many places in the world it is illegal to do so in many countries, and some allow you to do it at will. It really gets tricky when you cross country lines, or when you cross state lines in the USA. In the USA, each state has their own set of laws about allowing/disallowing recording of calls.

There are laws that require 1 party consent, 2 party consent, etc. With one party consent, at least one party in the conversation needs to approve of the call being recorded. I happen to live in a one party consent state. With 2 party consent, you need 2 parties to agree, even if on a conference call with 20 people. There are also "all party consent" places, where everyone being part of the conversation must agree.

If you live in a one party consent state and call a 2 party consent state, you must inform the person you are calling that you are recording the call and get their permission. Get the permission on the recording, or it isn't legal. If permission is denied, you must turn off the recorder.

Because of the complexities of the laws, and because of frivolous law suits such as a woman suing McDonald's for the coffee being too hot when she tried to put the cup in her lap and remove the lid to add sugar and creamer, burning herself in the process, and she won a million dollar law suit, well, these types of things will make a company not want to take the chance on it coming back on them.

Also, by forcing an apps access to the microphone to be denied when a phone call is in progress, it prevents malicious apps from recording calls and sending them to another location on the internet without the owner's permission. It's called protection of privacy, which Android simply does not offer like this.

Personally, I'd rather have the assurance of privacy, and use an external tool to record the calls.

These topics about call recording seem to come up pretty often, as no one actually does a search before making a new post. If you do, you'll find it answered many, many times already. I'm definitely going to need to put up a tutorial about how to make such a device after school starts back. Perhaps I'll even build a few and offer to sell them to those who are not inclined to electronics work.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
No sense in doing a pass-through device. Seems there are several options in the market already that do just this. Google it, and you should find a nice hardware solution, which is quite superior to the software solution.

I have read reviews about the call recording on Android, and how it is rather unreliable at times. Mission critical calls that you need to make sure are recorded should be done with a hardware device. It will also give you a better quality recording.

There are options that will plug into your headset plug at the top of your Lumia, and there are options that work via Bluetooth. Some say for iPhone, but can be made to work with any smart phone.

Good luck finding a good solution. If the recording is rather important, then it is important to do it right. Get the hardware for it. I'll be looking for something that will allow me to record directly to my 8.1 laptop, which is my preferred method, since I wouldn't have to purchase a separate digital recorder.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You know... I'm pretty sure that anyone who needs this for a job can and has seen the hardware solution.

My impression of those who bombard the site with requests for call recording is that they really want to use it for personal reasons that have nothing to do with professionalism. No matter what motive they put in the post. Just a gut feeling.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the only times I ever feel that I need it is when I have to call someone to straighten out a bill, and I want to make sure it is done properly and there is a record of the attempt.

For example, I got a bill in the mail yesterday from the Hospital for a month long stay my daughter had back in September to October. Only problem is, she was never in the hospital, never sick this past year. I'm wondering why they are trying to bill us for something that never happened, but in the meantime, our insurance has already paid over $500 of the bill, now we are getting billed for the rest. Not only am I not going to pay, but I want to make sure the insurance company knows it needs to get a refund from the hospital, because we never had this hospital stay. Those are calls that it would be convenient to record, let them know it is being recorded, so that they are on best behavior to get the situation straightened out. Luckily my daughter was attending school during that time, and never had a sick day during that time, so there is "government proof" so to speak that there was no month long admission to the hospital.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yikes, rhapdog... You should make sure to follow up. There might be someone using her SS# or possible other identity theft concerns.

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I did follow up. Turns out it was a simple "keyed in the wrong account number issue" by the clerk. The correct account was located and everything was fixed. We're good on that now. Thanks for the concern, though.

Hasoumi

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the infos , Gonna check for that solution @ RS , Gonna be kinda hard to walk around with hardware on while working , since i get many phone calls and the point that none knows im recording , reason could be kinda clearer down there .

@ rumored , No drama but you really seem to be into people problem , And i got no problem with that , if you think i needed it for personal issue , I see nothing wrong with that .

So if you curious about reason , Im a freshly graduated lawyer who got a lifetime ( at least for me ) chance to work at a big company's legal department , As one of its mangers liked my work in a case submitted against his company concerning group of workers , So he decided to give me a try and im still in my very first 5 months appointed , And living in the lawyers nest wasnt really that easy , I wasnt any welcome by my collegues at all , being young and they believe that their friends worthy more for such job , So my direct manger started with giving me extra work and failed , Then giving me side work like signing treaties which took all my time those last 3 months , But somehow i manged to handle it took me much effort that i lost weight though , Finally since they want me out of my place he accused me of delay of my main work against the adminstration , Which i did due the load of the side work which is much important to do well , Lucky he wasnt smart enough to deploy me to attend a conference before he accuse me , Also i've certificate of appreciation from the committees i did , So i got a chance to finish my main work , SO if i had a call recorder i could have proved his bad faith , Which was gonna improve my position .

Hope you changed your theory about being an inspector for reasons , And find out why i cant walk around with hardware connected , Cause it would be handy to record if they knew :)

Sorry for the mistakes cant correct what i've wrote .

rhapdog

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
@Hasoumi: You might try a particular piece of hardware that is fairly discrete, and won't have a bunch of wires, and can activate by voice over the phone so it would automatically record calls as they are placed/received.
http://www.amazon.com/Recorder-Conv...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2921839
Found a coupon, use coupon code "esonic10" to get $10 off.

Don't know exactly how it works, because I haven't done much research on it, but it does seem to be the most discrete hardware solution I have seen. Also not sure how it will work with your phone, but it should, according to the description as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05