Guys, Quit Being Jerks

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
No, it's not exclusive to Windows Phone. But as someone who uses Windows Central and AndroidCentral a lot (also iMore and CrackBerry, but much less), I've always said that this one is far worse. Users here are much more harsh to opposing opinions, and also much more critical of the other platforms. I think VideoLAN's response is valid.

The OP is quite correct. You, on the other hand are not. Anyone who could claim this place is the worst, and actually mentions having spent time in the Crackberry forums, has a truly unique perspective regarding appropriate behavior and politeness. I am sorry but obnoxiousness is the nature of most forums and these aren't even in the top ten....

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Im sorry but am i the only one here who thinks the second commenter is right, you see people do that EVERYWHERE, why are we supposed to be surprised?
I should stress that i'm not on anyone's side right now but you know the internet has 12 year trolls absolutely everywhere and i mean EVERYWHERE.
I know it really s*cks when you are trying to make something for people and there are 2 or 3 people that will be there to talk sh*t, but that happens in everywhere in the internet man come on.
Why is he flipping his table because someone typed that?
Again, not picking sides, just stating my opinion.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't comment like that on marketplace.Actually, I don't even care about using VLC on my phone (Even though I donated to their kickstarter project cause I wanted to support developers). But wasn't that reviewer right?
I'm sorry but slow is slow. They're the ones who asked for donation to develop VLC for Windows 8 (and WP8 as they stated). And the last time I check, the fund reaches over ?47k (their designated goal was ?40k)
And now they quote a single negative review in marketplace to blame a whole community? I'm sorry but that just seem like they're finding another reason to excuse and delay the app again IMO.

Edit: after reading the tweets again, they even threaten WP community to pull the app out? After all promises that they gave and money that they got? Now that's just unacceptable! If they don't want to make an app for WP then don't state it in their fund finding video. WP users are not beggar that begged them for their app without paying.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I think it's as bad as stereotyping a race. Butthurt much.

Donations are donations but threatening to pull out the app after a puny comment is just as childish as that troll who commented.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't comment like that on marketplace.Actually, I don't even care about using VLC on my phone (Even though I donated to their kickstarter project cause I wanted to support developers). But wasn't that reviewer right?
I'm sorry but slow is slow. They're the ones who asked for donation to develop VLC for Windows 8 (and WP8 as they stated). And the last time I check, the fund reaches over ?47k (their designated goal was ?40k)
And now they quote a single negative review in marketplace to blame a whole community? I'm sorry but that just seem like they're finding another reason to excuse and delay the app again IMO.

Edit: after reading the tweets again, they even threaten WP community to pull the app out? After all promises that they gave and money that they got? Now that's just unacceptable! If they don't want to make an app for WP then don't state it in their fund finding video. WP users are not beggar that begged them for their app without paying.

What Dratwister said.

I can respect dealing with the poster who called out a member of their team on Twitter if that is what they want. Seems a little thin skinned, but fine. No sweat. Your right. Go team.

But using that one comment to call out an entire community that showed their "rudeness" like no other community to the tune of $70,000???

If the kick starter cash wasn't the beat-all end-all sign of respect for their company, than I am going to need the example of what is the beat-all end-all sign of respect for their company that Android or iOS provided.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The OP is quite correct. You, on the other hand are not. Anyone who could claim this place is the worst, and actually mentions having spent time in the Crackberry forums, has a truly unique perspective regarding appropriate behavior and politeness. I am sorry but obnoxiousness is the nature of most forums and these aren't even in the top ten....

I meant this one is far worse comparing it only to AndroidCentral. I apologize for not making it clear. I know that BB fans are quite passionate, and I did not mean to include their forum.

Either way, let's not compare ourselves to others who are just as bad. Others who act like we do is no justification for us! As I said, VLC does have a valid point.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to side with the "vlc team is overreacting" train of thought.
1) How many hundreds, if not thousands, of reviews are there on the Android and ios versions? They're telling me they read every single one and there wasn't some sort of mild criticism?
2) Speaking of mild criticism, I came to this thread expecting death threats or, you know, an insult. What I got was the VLC PR team throwing a temper tantrum because someone didn't get instant gratification on the internet. REALLY? The developer handled it just fine. The VLC account, and the existence of this very thread, are ridiculous.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
On the flip side, Windows Phone users are very good to many devs who are dedicated to the platform. I've seen it go both ways. Calling out a specific dev at a company in the reviews of an app is uncalled for, but this VLC company overreacted a wee bit to a negative review. To call it out is one thing, but to suggest that this is how all WP users are or that it is a reason to leave WP is a little much.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that, in general, Windows Phone users are tired of waiting. The platform in it's Live Tile UI has been around for years, the user base is growing, WP8.1 is pretty much on par with ios and android in that it has the notification center, the ability to sync with health devices, the inflow of OEMs wanting to produce the phones. A lot of Windows Phone users' feelings stem from the fact that most are basically tired of being considered an afterthought by most companies and that's the reason you see this temperament.

But, like I said, it goes both ways. Look how long it took Fitbit to come to WP after giving iphone and android feature after feature, and not even having an app, period, in WP. Now they do and they are really showing Windows Phone some love by constantly improving the app and even coming out with features like the barcode scanner BEFORE they put it into the android app. WP users were ready to jump from Fitbit because of their lack of support, but now I read comments saying that people are considering buying more Fitbit devices because of how great they have been treating WP.

Regardless of what VLC says, there are reviewers like this one they called out using androids, using iphones, using Windows Phones, using BlackBerries, using payphones, using cans and string, etc etc etc. To say this is a Windows Phone user issue is just not totally accurate; this is a humanity issue. You're going to find jerks everywhere. If they are improving the product in a timely manner, you just ignore the review as misinformed. If you are putting Windows Phone to the back burner, you take the review as a sign that someone noticed. But to call out all Windows Phone users as jerks is just as wrong as the reviewer who called out the dev by name.

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
VLC is 100% free so it is hard to complain about something that is 100% free or having some kind of requirements. The VLC team is doing great job trying to port VLC to WP.

This in stark contrast to Microsoft which is the richest software company in the world that has big problems with WP. I think we have the right to complain and whine towards Microsoft all we want.

fl_x

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, just look at some other reviews in the Windows Store. One might get the impression, the WP community is populated exclusively by morons and idiots. Sad but true.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, just look at some other reviews in the Windows Store. One might get the impression, the WP community is populated exclusively by morons and idiots. Sad but true.

I'm sure that a lot of the outbursts come from frustration, and I totally understand. If I was 100% reliant on WP I would feel the same way. That doesn't necessarily justify the reactions, but it at least explains them.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
BTW, if any developer was really suggesting they would pull an app because some people are obnoxious, they were obviously already planning to do so for other reasons. The alternative is the developer must still be in high school. Leaving aside the fact that the real world of adults is often not very nice, anyone who has spent any length of time dealing with any aspect of IT understands the tech world is also full of self described geniuses or troglodytes who make messes and throw tantrums. This is even more the case when operating remotely. The lack of face to face interaction brings out the worst in people. Quite frankly, if the virtual world said half the stuff uttered on the web to actual persons the planet might not have a population problem for very long. Seriously, leaving aside the crudeness of the comments, if the developer is really suggesting they may pull out, this is grasping for excuses to justify an already contemplated decision....

Last edited:

fl_x

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure that a lot of the outbursts come from frustration, and I totally understand. If I was 100% reliant on WP I would feel the same way. That doesn't necessarily justify the reactions, but it at least explains them.

Thats certainly a factor as well. Owning a WP Device sure means joining the "waiting & frustrating" game.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't get it... Or I guess I do.

App Gap. "But they have VLC on Android and iOS." Big whoopty flipping doodah. I spent plenty of time on Android and never once thought about downloading VLC. Honestly. There is about 15,000 dump trucks worth of media players on Google Play. I might have heard about it, but never bothered with it. I had solutions that worked flawlessly for me.

Windows Phone doesn't have so many Media Players, granted. Still though, I have solutions and they work flawlessly for me.

Quite frankly, over the last several months, I've grown exceeding weary of hearing about VLC. It's all over the forums; people wringing their hands, rending their clothes, wailing to the heavens how they "need" VLC or they will just shrivel up, writhe on the ground and moan horribly for all the world to pity.

The community set this drama up. If you elevate some App and its developers so high up on a pedestal, you better not blaspheme against them.

Personally, I won't ever try VLC. I never planned to. I'm disgusted by all this hype. As ye have sown, so shall ye reap.

Enjoy all the VLC baby mama drama.

I'm out.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it... Or I guess I do.

App Gap. "But they have VLC on Android and iOS." Big whoopty flipping doodah. I spent plenty of time on Android and never once thought about downloading VLC. Honestly. There is about 15,000 dump trucks worth of media players on Google Play. I might have heard about it, but never bothered with it. I had solutions that worked flawlessly for me.

Windows Phone doesn't have so many Media Players, granted. Still though, I have solutions and they work flawlessly for me.

Quite frankly, over the last several months, I've grown exceeding weary of hearing about VLC. It's all over the forums; people wringing their hands, rending their clothes, wailing to the heavens how they "need" VLC or they will just shrivel up, writhe on the ground and moan horribly for all the world to pity.

The community set this drama up. If you elevate some App and its developers so high up on a pedestal, you better not blaspheme against them.

Personally, I won't ever try VLC. I never planned to. I'm disgusted by all this hype. As ye have sown, so shall ye reap.

Enjoy all the VLC baby mama drama.

I'm out.

I don't even use it on Windows lol. I don't get why all these people use an app that is memory intensive, yet laggy at the same time. While we have so many alternatives available.

So far, haven't encountered anything that I need vlc to accomplish. But on WP, it's another story. Since many video formats are not supported natively,WP users are forced to look for other third party apps if they wish to play natively unsupported formats. Moliplayer is one of the good alternative to vlc btw.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
It feels like the WP-community has turned very immature and bad during the last 6 months. There's almost a thread daily that people prefer buggy and speedy releases instead of consistent quality-releases... Which I can't understand. I guess we've had an influx of Android-users lately that aren't used to wait three months for perfect instead of get trash monthly.

fl_x

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
It feels like the WP-community has turned very immature and bad during the last 6 months. There's almost a thread daily that people prefer buggy and speedy releases instead of consistent quality-releases... Which I can't understand. I guess we've had an influx of Android-users lately that aren't used to wait three months for perfect instead of get trash monthly.

Errrm, thats one of the problems. The releases are (mostly) slow AND buggy nevertheless.

I'm game lol have been since WP7

So have I.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo