Guys, Quit Being Jerks

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I know this isn't everyone, but please for those of you that do this, please STOP.
Look at this: https://twitter.com/ThomasNigro/status/552192092953657345
Last edited:

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Always said this was Whiners Phone Central (now without the Phone of course)......

Yes, that is almost all the comment section and forums are here. Whining and more whining. No doubt the guy who left that review whines on the articles here too. "wheres snapchat? this beta is buggy! im leaving to iphone!"

And sorry, I think this is the first time I've had to rant, but these fools are embarrassing us. We were called out by VideoLan themselves!

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure dumb poorly thought out comments aren't a Windows Phone exclusive.

VideoLan said they never seen reviews like that on the other platforms. They're talking about how the review specifically insults Thomas. That is unacceptable.

Edit: And I know that. I'm simply saying that we as Windows Phone users should support the developers that come to us without all of this nonsense. This is a pretty common thing you see when reading the comments on Windows Central articles. Just a ton of whining about apps that aren't here yet, apps that didn't live up to people's expectations, and apps that JUST arrived in beta not fully functional yet. Some of these Windows Phone users here are the RUDEST I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
When did we start taking twitter seriously?

I'm pretty sure Twitter has always been taken seriously. Especially when it's the app developers themselves calling out the users.

Edit: Here's more:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I just wrote a long reply to this on Reddit, but it's just as applicable here (and to be honest, a thread about it here telling people to stop being jerks is probably pretty pointless as I doubt it's anyone who would be on this site who would post a review like that):

The maintainer of the VideoLAN twitter account is upset that someone called out Thomas Nigro by name.

I partially understand VideoLAN's stance here. Thomas has put in inordinate amounts of work to get this up and running, and the reviewer is being rude in response to that.

That being said, VideoLAN's communication has been absolutely terrible ever since the Kickstarter (which had unrealistic timelines in the first place). Thomas has had a habit on Twitter of promising release dates that never came, so of course people are feeling like the app has been slow in coming.

And they say that they haven't had responses like this on other platforms, but they also didn't take $70,000 of people's money before releasing on other platforms. Now I fully realize myself that Kickstarter money is really just a donation and nobody should expect anything more from it (anything else is just a nice bonus), but there are a lot of people who (ignorantly, of course) don't see it that way. All of the optimism in the VLC news updates there did nothing to discourage that.

And to be honest, the developer was called slow, it's not like someone swore at him. I mean, like I said, it's rude to be called slow when you've spent a ton of time working on something, but I bet even Thomas Nigro himself would agree that the project has taken far longer than even he would have liked.

TL:DR- people suck, but the kneejerk reaction from VLC is just as sucky.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I just wrote a long reply to this on Reddit, but it's just as applicable here (and to be honest, a thread about it here telling people to stop being jerks is probably pretty pointless as I doubt it's anyone who would be on this site who would post a review like that):

I'd actually be certain that it's either someone who uses this site, or someone from WMPoweruser who wrote that review. Most regular people wouldn't know the name of one of the developers, and the mentioned sites are the two biggest havens for whiners.

Edit: Also, I like your reply, it's reasonable/logical. Thanks.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Nothing like being up late trying to solve a seemingly simple problem in code for a programming class to bring some perspective to things.

Admittedly, they probably haven't seen it on other platforms since Windows Phone is an awkward third and it already popped up quite some time ago on the others and those people probably didn't have a solid point-of-reference.
Naturally, someone is going to think through whatever logic they use that the dev has GOT to be some lazy person since it just didn't magically materialize.

I often sense a conflict at times between:
I NEED (insert app or update of choice here) NOW NOW NOW STOP BEING SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL GO (some other phone platform of choice)
and
(ditto) IS HALF BAKED RUSHED TOO BUGGY!!!!!! (developer or company of choice) SUCK

But oh well, I need my perfect, flawless, polished Windows 11 on my Treo yesterday or I'm going Symbian. (slight exaggeration of course)
I did see "Windows Phone Wait.1" on reddit yesterday, made me chuckle, but meh.

If anything, I'd like VLC to put out a PSA on the app to not be a dip, so hopefully mr. too slow here can see it, where one may not on twitter.

bijak_riyandi

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I realize now that I am not the most impatient person in the world...

I really think this happens because some Windows Phone users out there are converts, and probably forced-converts, from other platform(s). They have (very) high expectations to this alien platform due to their experience with the other platform(s).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean xandros9. I would rather have it done right than rush it to the store not ready for prime time. Its almost here. Its closer than its ever been and I have to say, it looks TIGHT as hell. Not a lot of developers have put this kind of effort into a product for this device as VideoLan did for Windows Phone IMHO. This app really looks sweet. So Thomas Nigro, nix the haters. Don't release it until you believe its ready.

Whiners gonna whine, whine, whine, whine, whine, whine. -Taylor Swift

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure dumb poorly thought out comments aren't a Windows Phone exclusive.

No, it's not exclusive to Windows Phone. But as someone who uses Windows Central and AndroidCentral a lot (also iMore and CrackBerry, but much less), I've always said that this one is far worse. Users here are much more harsh to opposing opinions, and also much more critical of the other platforms. I think VideoLAN's response is valid.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
No, it's not exclusive to Windows Phone. But as someone who uses Windows Central and AndroidCentral a lot (also iMore and CrackBerry, but much less), I've always said that this one is far worse. Users here are much more harsh to opposing opinions, and also much more critical of the other platforms. I think VideoLAN's response is valid.

Yeah, it's like someone giving you a gift/present, and you said you hate it openly in front of them/social media.

The devs ain't even doing it for money. They don't need publicity as they are already popular and famous. If these whiners paid for it, it might still be more logical to urge the dev to polish the app quickly, albeit in more civilised manner. But if it's free, you don't do that. You don't do that, ever.

But yeah, I agree with what you said on people here being very critical of other platforms, and always go saying WP is always the best platform. However, it does not really occur when I joined 1 year+ ago. That's why I feel tired to visit the forums and reply to a thread. Because, any statement you have supporting or even giving mere credit to other platforms will have you bashed and your comment will be ignored.

And W. Central-ers, THIS TWEET IS A TRULY A WHINE. Don't go around calling EVERY SINGLE THING a whine when it's actually not. This is just plain annoying. Why can't one raise one's opinion? Forums are meant for discussion/sharing of information. Some (many, actually) of the forumers here will ask you to "move to iOS or Android" or "leave WP" or even "goodbye" when you share something good, or even, comment on probable improvement in WP. That is PLAIN ANNOYING.

Sorry for the long post xP

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Is the app generally available yet? It makes me want to download it and give it a good review.

Also, has anyone flagged that jerk yet? That's gotta be a breach of some community guideline.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To the OP... Some people practice at it. For others it comes naturally.

Remember what the bumper sticker says: You Can't Fix Stupid.

Issue> smi20.gif < OP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss