Guys, Quit Being Jerks

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't even use it on Windows lol. I don't get why all these people use an app that is memory intensive, yet laggy at the same time. While we have so many alternatives available.

I do! In fact, VLC is the ONLY media player I use on Windows. I don't like Windows' offerings, or any others compared to VLC. Another nice thing about VLC is that it's one of the best (free) options for DVD playback on W8/8.1.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The developer is flipping out over one comment like that....THAT is unacceptable. Should he threaten the whole WP community over that one comment that was tame compared to others I've read from other apps? Hell no. Seems like he just wants a reason to delay development. Not to mention he got donations. It's one thing to have a comment being vulgar, disrespectful, and downright mean, but to overreact to such a comment is childish and unprofessional in my opinion. Just how I feel about this situation. RumoredNow made a very good point here:

...Quite frankly, over the last several months, I've grown exceeding weary of hearing about VLC. It's all over the forums; people wringing their hands, rending their clothes, wailing to the heavens how they "need" VLC or they will just shrivel up, writhe on the ground and moan horribly for all the world to pity.

The community set this drama up. If you elevate some App and its developers so high up on a pedestal, you better not blaspheme against them...

Sad that such a soft comment can make a developer threaten a whole community.

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
It happens on any platform. I have seen it on Android a lot.
By ios I have seen other things, there came a negative comment on some software and he was right but all the fanboys became mad on him. It was just a comment that was right.
This comment about VLC is just a flamer that needs something to cry about and probably he has other problems ells he would have left wp already.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Negative reviews happen everywhere. Sure it might kick you in the feels and make you all butthurt but in order to improve the product you ignore the haters and really only look for/listen to the ones that give constructive criticism. Don't get caught up in the troll/hater venom spewing. Those ones should be ignored.

They never seen it on android? Probably cuz that version is in a better condition or they just completely ignore all the useless reviews and look for the constructive criticism because theres way more that they wont bother weeding through all of them.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure dumb poorly thought out comments aren't a Windows Phone exclusive.

On Android there's a different trend: sarcastic comments. Things like 1 star and then "OMG, this app just saved my life. I was near an abyss and by installing this app, the Lord our Saviour made His light shine upon me".

I mean, they're hilarious, but still, equally useless.

Here's some hilarious examples out of the reviews for that REALLY useful app called "Yo" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.justyo&hl=en

5 Stars - "Life changer I couldn't move on after breaking up with my ex. I missed her a lot. But I got this app and yo, after just a day of yoing her she called the police and got me a restraint order. Now I will finally be able to move on, I'm being forced to."

5 Stars - "Excellent use for a drab app!! I found a use for Yo!!! I now get the alerts about the missles going into Israel. As soon as I added REDALERTISRAEL to my contacts, I received two alerts! Nice!"

5 Stars - "How did I ever communicate before this. Idk"

5 Stars - "Absolute game changer I was standing on a corner at midnight trying to get my courage up. There was a long lovely dancer at a little club downtown, I loved to watch her do her stuff. Through those long lonely nights she filled my sleep, her body softly swaying to that smokey beat, so I yo'ed her. Let me tell you, she was interested, but I don't kiss and tell so enough with that. Yo is a life saver. Could Yo have saved Abraham Lincoln? That's for history to decide. I just accidentally sold my first born child using Yo. I Yo you."

And from VLC - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc.betav7neon&hl=en

1 Star - "Im new for this application Thanks"

1 Star - "Stop development Utter crap app"

2 Stars - "Hey"

2 Stars - "Nice"

Well...at least the guy in the WP store was complaining for a somewhat valid reason (VLC took forever between taking people's money and releasing a simple Beta).

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
WP is ideal for whiners!! It so buttery smooth that every whine ... is more whinier... and of course... seems faster

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've read the comments. Some have merit, others are thoughtless diatribe. Whatever side of this argument you're on there's one undeniable fact. If you're getting an app for free and you don't like it, uninstall the mofo. There's no excuse for hammering some poor schmuck who's probably not the best developer and needs real constructive feedback. Was the app not optimized for low RAM devices and the complainer had a 520? Just saying an app sucks does nothing to improve it. Whatever, I'm sick of people complaining and doing nothing to help the cause. Grab a shovel or STFU.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I've read the comments. Some have merit, others are thoughtless diatribe. Whatever side of this argument you're on there's one undeniable fact. If you're getting an app for free and you don't like it, uninstall the mofo. There's no excuse for hammering some poor schmuck who's probably not the best developer and needs real constructive feedback. Was the app not optimized for low RAM devices and the complainer had a 520? Just saying an app sucks does nothing to improve it. Whatever, I'm sick of people complaining and doing nothing to help the cause. Grab a shovel or STFU.

Wow pretty strong stuff there but its true though iIwas with you till the 520 part. I have a 520 and yes the app doesn't fully work. But that's to be expected. VLC hasn't been officially released. It was some guy who had the private beta put the link up on a site and it got seeded from there. The best thing to do is to file bug reports and wait. But yes people stop bashing it. Its not an official BETA its a leaked private beta which is alot more unstable then a public beta hence its called a private beta to save on embarrassment fir the company so that when the official public release comes out the kinks would have been long worked out.

Sent using my Nokia Lumia 520 via the Windows central app

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
All I know is that VLC has been flawless for me on my 1520. I love it so far. Been on the beta since day one. The first release was buggy, but ever since the first updates I've had no problems.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a 520 and yes the app doesn't fully work.

I wasn't trying to bash the 520, I just wanted to cite a possible scenario and the 520 was the first 512 RAM device that came to mind. I don't even know what the problem with the app is, I just feel for the guy who's trying to do something most of us can't and some entitled little crust of a man did him wrong like that.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't trying to bash the 520, I just wanted to cite a possible scenario and the 520 was the first 512 RAM device that came to mind. I don't even know what the problem with the app is, I just feel for the guy who's trying to do something most of us can't and some entitled little crust of a man did him wrong like that.

I know you weren't bashing the 520 lol. If it wasn't compatible it would say in the store.
Your so right though. Some of the comments made me sick to read. We all should be thankful VideoLabs are making a player for our platform.
Some people scream "windows phone os has no apps" and when a huge media player such as VLC are being developed and tested they are complaining. Its people like them that will make devs just stop making apps for our OS.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
On Android there's a different trend: sarcastic comments. Things like 1 star and then "OMG, this app just saved my life. I was near an abyss and by installing this app, the Lord our Saviour made His light shine upon me".

I mean, they're hilarious, but still, equally useless.

Here's some hilarious examples out of the reviews for that REALLY useful app called "Yo" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.justyo&hl=en

5 Stars - "Life changer I couldn't move on after breaking up with my ex. I missed her a lot. But I got this app and yo, after just a day of yoing her she called the police and got me a restraint order. Now I will finally be able to move on, I'm being forced to."

5 Stars - "Excellent use for a drab app!! I found a use for Yo!!! I now get the alerts about the missles going into Israel. As soon as I added REDALERTISRAEL to my contacts, I received two alerts! Nice!"

5 Stars - "How did I ever communicate before this. Idk"

5 Stars - "Absolute game changer I was standing on a corner at midnight trying to get my courage up. There was a long lovely dancer at a little club downtown, I loved to watch her do her stuff. Through those long lonely nights she filled my sleep, her body softly swaying to that smokey beat, so I yo'ed her. Let me tell you, she was interested, but I don't kiss and tell so enough with that. Yo is a life saver. Could Yo have saved Abraham Lincoln? That's for history to decide. I just accidentally sold my first born child using Yo. I Yo you."

And from VLC - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc.betav7neon&hl=en

1 Star - "Im new for this application Thanks"

1 Star - "Stop development Utter crap app"

2 Stars - "Hey"

2 Stars - "Nice"

Well...at least the guy in the WP store was complaining for a somewhat valid reason (VLC took forever between taking people's money and releasing a simple Beta).

You should take a look at Samsung push service lol. Those are even more hilarious

dovlab

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Generalization of behavior of Android or WP users makes no sense to me. I used to have an Android device for 2 years before switching to WP, but I didn't change personality because of it. The mentioned comment on VLC app is stupid and ignorant, and doesn't deserve this much fuss...

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Interesting to me that I became part of a "community", of "jerks" no less, because I bought a new phone.

Had I known that I was getting married to all other WP users when I bought my phone, I might have dated first, or at least checked their references.

A lot more went into my platform switch than I realized. I thought I was just doing it because it integrated better with my Surface Pro, my work applications, and I like the look and feel.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I am not a developer but one thing I know that VLC team done some mistake.

VLC is one of most anticipated app and what team was doing for last two years that they keep spreading rumor or whatever info that we are developing VLC app, " it's coming soon" or whatever. Many users are patiently waiting for it and what they develop after two years is an alpha app.

So, understand this VLC team was the first one who are being jerks making users wait this long for an unfinished app.
If they silently developed app their wouldn't be a problem.

Look at Opera team.
They simply developed app Opera Mini.
It's nothing better but still their are no problem for them.

I am not saying that those users are right but VLC Team getting response for what they were doing for past 2 years.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I am not a developer but one thing I know that VLC team done some mistake.

VLC is one of most anticipated app and what team was doing for last two years that they keep spreading rumor or whatever info that we are developing VLC app, " it's coming soon" or whatever. Many users are patiently waiting for it and what they develop after two years is an alpha app.

So, understand this VLC team was the first one who are being jerks making users wait this long for an unfinished app.
If they silently developed app their wouldn't be a problem.

Look at Opera team.
They simply developed app Opera Mini.
It's nothing better but still their are no problem for them.

I am not saying that those users are right but VLC Team getting response for what they were doing for past 2 years.

So you're saying they're jerks because after 2 years all they give you is an alpha. Well did you reach out to them to offer assistance since they obviously don't know what they're doing? How many other developers have released an equivalent or are working on one? How's that working out? Here's a tip: neither you or anybody else is entitled to anything. Either you wait for someone to do it for you and graciously accept their efforts OR you roll up your sleeves and do it yourself.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
So you're saying they're jerks because after 2 years all they give you is an alpha. Well did you reach out to them to offer assistance since they obviously don't know what they're doing? How many other developers have released an equivalent or are working on one? How's that working out? Here's a tip: neither you or anybody else is entitled to anything. Either you wait for someone to do it for you and graciously accept their efforts OR you roll up your sleeves and do it yourself.
THey are getting what what they deserve.(what users think they deserve) It's a response for VLC team drama that they were doing for last two years.

It's not like users have some kind of grude against them.
They have done some mistake that is why they are getting this type of response.
Have you ever give a thought that
Why not users talk bad about Moli Player? Why VLC?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
THey are getting what what they deserve.(what users think they deserve) It's a response for VLC team drama that they were doing for last two years.

It's not like users have some kind of grude against them.
They have done some mistake that is why they are getting this type of response.
Have you ever give a thought that
Why not users talk bad about Moli Player? Why VLC?

Dude, everybody makes mistakes. I make so many everyday it hurts sometimes. But that's how I've reached the level of success I have. What you call drama, an entrepreneur calls confidence. When you're pushing to be the best you sometimes make statements that are borne of chutzpah and can land some serious egg on your face. I applaud those who don't settle for the safe side of the street, we all should. Those of us who are fans of WP have to wake up to the fact that we're in third place and very far from 2nd with the 4th place guy nipping at our heels. Want to whine and complain? Don't go crying when all the devs leave.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05