What is the difference between the Maps app and the Here Map app?

anon(9304652)

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Clarification over mapping apps

Hi guys. I'm relatively new to Windows Phone and wanted some answers about the mapping software on the device. My Nokia 930 comes shipped with an app simply called "Maps" and Nokia's HERE map app. I was wondering what the differences are between the two and which app Windows Phone users believe is the best. I've noticed that most apps, including Cortana, default to the "Maps" app when a location component is involved. Is there any way to change to default mapping app should I want to use HERE instead? I've also downloaded offline maps for both the UK and Switzerland and have noticed that both apps seem to be making use of the same data. Are the apps running from the same engine or is the data contained in the offline maps able to be interpreted by both apps.

Thanks!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Clarification over mapping apps

Hi guys. I'm relatively new to Windows Phone and wanted some answers about the mapping software on the device. My Nokia 930 comes shipped with an app simply called "Maps" and Nokia's HERE map app. I was wondering what the differences are between the two and which app Windows Phone users believe is the best. I've noticed that most apps, including Cortana, default to the "Maps" app when a location component is involved. Is there any way to change to default mapping app should I want to use HERE instead? I've also downloaded offline maps for both the UK and Switzerland and have noticed that both apps seem to be making use of the same data. Are the apps running from the same engine or is the data contained in the offline maps able to be interpreted by both apps.

Thanks!

Both of these apps use map data provided by Bing.

Majority of the differences are only in the points of interests and a bit of graphics options (e.g. the icon that shows your current location looks different) - the rest are the same.

For general map usage, I think you would benefit more from the native Maps app, since (as you mentioned) Cortana is able to interact with this app more. Also, the favorite places you indicate in the native Maps app are the same ones the gets logged into Cortana's "Notebook", where you can set location-based reminders, traffic reminders, etc. - these features are currently not available with Here Maps, nor can your POIs in Here Maps be synchronized with Bing.

As for the default navigation app that gets launched by other apps, you can always change this in Settings > swipe to Applications > Set default voice navigation app.

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
rather than start a new thread I thought I would pop this in here:

my preinstalled Maps can never find a street address, eg 12 High Rd, it always wants me to select a nearby 'feature' like a Post Office.
whereas Here Maps finds a street address fine.

I have looked in Settings etc but can't find anything that influences this behaviour

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
The differences is that they are made by different maker, Maps by MSFT and HERE by HERE Europe. Your favorite places will be synced with MS account (which will be available to Cortana and other MS services) on Maps and to HERE account on HERE Maps. Currently there is no way to change default app in WP except camera and VoIP app. Both app, and any other maps app, can access the offline maps available by Windows Phone, that's unique WP feature, and can add their own layer, POI or feature to it, which is what HERE does by changing the interface, providing more POI, navigation, car park position, etc. If I'm not mistaken, I remember reading somewhere that MSFT bought the map data (Bing Maps) from HERE, so basically offline map is the HERE map, they might change it in the future.

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
I can find exact street addresses in Maps (UK, US)

seems sensible
so, how come not in Australia (Perth)?
I was thinking there must be a setting somewhere that is causing it, but cant see it.

whenever I enter a street address in MAPS and search I get a screen like this pop up asking me for a nearby 'landmark':

MAPS choose location.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3