Frustrated with map apps! What are you using?

anon(678374)

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Gmaps I tried and like, but no voice navigation is useless to me. I'm using At&t navigator until the free trial runs out. I also have mapquest, which is okay. When I had my android, I used google maps exclusively. Not sure how Waze will work, it said preparing voice, but it hasn't talked yet. I'll try again later.

Just curious what map app everyone else is using and how you like it. Not interested in ones without voice navigation.

Thanks!

thron

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
The HERE maps came bundled with my Lumia, I don't think anything else is needed with those in existence:
HERE Drive
HERE Maps
HERE Transit

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Never installed anything else as here map does it all and is cross platform so you cam pls your route at home on your pc then use same,route on your phone.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I don't have a Lumina so don't have Here Maps. I bought the Garmin App when I first got a WP and its paid for itself 10 fold since I use it for work. Love it.

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a Lumina so don't have Here Maps. I bought the Garmin App when I first got a WP and its paid for itself 10 fold since I use it for work. Love it.
if you are using 8.1 or dev preview you do not need nokia to have here maps
just go to app store and download FREE
I have HTC 8X and have it installed

Matt1971

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Hhmm depends what you want. For me in London dynamic routing based on traffic is a must. Waze against this requirement is best. Aponia is close second. Navmii only redirects if traffic above 15 mins. Sygic doesn't auto reroute for traffic but devs are planning for it. Here drive routes then adds traffic time on, but does nothing to avoid. Navigon is OK but eta times are ridiculous and is over aggressive in rerouting so sometimes takes you on a wild goose chase. Navitel never shows traffic for me, so I think is currently broken. Copilot is ok but I have never been happy with its routes. Hope that helps Matt

anon(678374)

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Hhmm depends what you want. For me in London dynamic routing based on traffic is a must. Waze against this requirement is best. Aponia is close second. Navmii only redirects if traffic above 15 mins. Sygic doesn't auto reroute but devs are planning for it. Here drive routes then adds traffic time on, but does nothing to avoid. Navigon is OK but eta times are ridiculous and is over aggressive in rerouting so sometimes takes you on a wild goose chase. Navitel never shows traffic for me, so I think is currently broken. Copilot is ok but I have never been happy with its routes. Hope that helps Matt

Thanks for the options!!!

the whole taco

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
The HERE maps came bundled with my Lumia, I don't think anything else is needed with those in existence:
HERE Drive
HERE Maps
HERE Transit

yep. same for me.
but they don't offer any alternate routes.
or ability to use a waypoint/alternate route.

usually HERE Drive and HERE Maps give me the same route. But once I noticed they gave different routes. Both pretty useless.
I also notice neither will give me a route to a street address, but pick up a nearby 'feature', like a post office.

I suspect the best app for your situation might depend on where you live?

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I depend solely on Waze. Here drive had me lost on too many occasions. Sucks google stopped support for the app.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know how to use a route plan on WP?
I have a multi-stop trip that I planned out on Microsoft Trips, bit I like to use the navigation on my phone.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 635 and I have tried both HERE Maps and the standard Maps. I think I actually prefer plain old Maps right now. I don't care about turn-by-turn directions, but I do like to check out the overall route. Maps has a button for that right at the bottom of the screen and you don't have to go into settings like with HERE. However, both of them fail routinely when selecting routes, so hire better travel/map consultants! I have worked in the business for a long time and it is critical that you incorporate local knowledge, which I realize is hard to do when you are covering large parts of the world. But, the recommended routes are so often wrong (often ridiculously wrong) where I live (NY state) that it is now a joke in the family--quick check the directions to get the scenic route!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos