04-25-2015 07:00 AM
82 1234
tools
    Give it 20 years, then still no. Maybe we'll get back Bank of America before then.
    Maybe Nationwide Bank will release an app, or even a full Instagram update? Lol!
    Blu3V3nom07 likes this.
    03-30-2015 03:28 PM
    I am not saying they, "have" to as in it is mandatory, but if W10 for Phones gains significant market share then ignoring WP will be detrimental to business and no logical person would alienate a large percentage of the market.
    Wondering how it would be "detrimental to business". They get no revenue from WP users now, if the userbase increases the situation stays the same but its not exactly detrimental. And so far they seem to have no trouble getting funding so unless some investors threaten to withhold future funding due to ignoring Windows I don't see how its detrimental to them in that situation either.
    03-30-2015 03:39 PM
    The collective maturity of the CEO's at SnapChat, Pebble, and others like them are low. It is unlikely it will come until the market share is too much to ignore.
    xandros9 and Daniel Olsen like this.
    03-30-2015 04:16 PM
    I'm not seeing it anytime soon. While I doubt an app is the easiest thing to make, surely a company valued at over 10 billion can crap something out for us? I still send em a tweet every so often. #SnapchatonWP
    03-30-2015 06:02 PM
    Personally, I simply do not get the appeal of this app. Why is it such a big deal?
    From a technical standpoint, it's not.

The major appeal was in the sheer insignificance of what's said when you're having a "self-destructive" conversation... thing is, the security blows and the self-destructiveness is phoned in. By all means, Cyber Dust actually does what Snapchat falsely claims to do... and they support WP, iOS and Android.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...c-ec38be85d471

But that's not the point... the point is that no matter how much better Cyber Dust is, you won't find all your *cool* friends using it. Snapchat's popular, it's in the spotlight, enough young' ins have bought into the scam for it to reach phenomena status... and it's something WP doesn't have.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-30-2015 08:33 PM
    95% of the people who use Snapchat could care less about its "security". People use it cause its fun and another way to be an attention wh0re.
    TLRtheory and N_LaRUE like this.
    03-30-2015 09:07 PM
    I really think Microsoft should allow android apps to work on windows 10. I don't see it as them "giving up" but quite the opposite actually. For example, would you rather have an Xbox or an Xbox that plays both Xbox games and Playstation games? I see it as a feature that would make windows phone more superior, supporting more types of code and not limiting developers. Android developers could still develop windows design language focused apps that were in the same code language they are used to, not having to learn new types of code trying how to recreate their apps for a new platform.
    03-30-2015 09:14 PM
    There are other disappearing message apps, such as Telegram, BBM.
    But You are not the cool kid if you don't have Snapchat.
    Err Telegram & BBM (the beta just recently got updated too) are still in the store, I find it amusing that people use snapchat just like they use whatsapp... and the other draw of snapchat is "Stories". Honestly anyone else can replicate what they are doing and probably do it better, once that happens - bye bye SnapChat.
    03-31-2015 05:24 AM
    Err Telegram & BBM (the beta just recently got updated too) are still in the store, I find it amusing that people use snapchat just like they use whatsapp... and the other draw of snapchat is "Stories". Honestly anyone else can replicate what they are doing and probably do it better, once that happens - bye bye SnapChat.
    When he said "disappearing message apps", he meant that the message disappears (Not that the app disappears from store).
    03-31-2015 06:30 AM
    This is why\where the developers are going, follow the money....App Store revenue likely to double by 2018, generating $20B ? IDC/App Annie | 9to5Mac
    03-31-2015 06:46 AM
    Maybe Nationwide Bank will release an app, or even a full Instagram update? Lol!
    Received today from Nationwide:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I understand that Windows users are keen to have the functionality already offered in our app for IOS and Android. We're looking closely into this and hope to be able to provide a Windows app in the future. You can keep updated with our progress via our website and we will make you aware when this becomes available.

So there is hope.
    Jazmac likes this.
    03-31-2015 07:01 AM
    The collective maturity of the CEO's at SnapChat, Pebble, and others like them are low. It is unlikely it will come until the market share is too much to ignore.
    What does maturity have to do with business decisions?

WP still sits at ~3% market share. Hasn't moved much. Why invest any money in a OS system that doesn't seem to get anywhere?

Look at it from this point of view, it's called ROI. Those companies you mention, have to:
    1. get a developer
    2. have them develop
    3. quality check
    4. pay for uploading to the store
    5. get feedback on the app
    6. do updates
    7. deal with new updates from the OS maker
    8. add new features

Now that's a lot for an app. Think about the money involved with that. Is a 3% market share worth that? I probably missed a couple of things but you get my point.

Maybe it's my age but I don't get why people are not understanding that there's a cost associated with making an app? Especially once you become popular.
    03-31-2015 07:02 AM
    So there is hope.
    Whilst it was nice of them to take the time to reply to you, that's a generic cut and paste response that, I'd wager, never even made it past 1st line customer support. Which is probably overseas.
    It hasn't come from anyone who can actually make that happen.
    03-31-2015 07:08 AM
    Why invest any money in a OS system that doesn't seem to get anywhere?
    Exactly this. A lot of the Snapchat generation seem to think that companies exist to sell product and make money. In the post-teen world, companies have a business plan. Predominantly it's an exit strategy, which is how they were able to get start-up investment in the first place. If Snapchat's business plan is to get x-million users on any platform and then sell up shop at an enormous profit, then that's their plan. After all, who'd have thought there was money in teen t1tties? And if they can do that without setting up a Windows app, then they'll probably not bother.
    03-31-2015 07:12 AM
    WP still sits at ~3% market share. Hasn't moved much. Why invest any money in a OS system that doesn't seem to get anywhere?
    It' not 3% of 100 people. Even this three percent is quite literally tens of millions of people... Software has been made for lesser people, and it did just fine. Over half WP users would download it in an instant would it become available considering how eagerly people are waiting for it, and that's not a small number of people.
    TLRtheory and Jazmac like this.
    03-31-2015 07:16 AM
    From a technical standpoint, it's not.

The major appeal was in the sheer insignificance of what's said when you're having a "self-destructive" conversation... thing is, the security blows and the self-destructiveness is phoned in. By all means, Cyber Dust actually does what Snapchat falsely claims to do... and they support WP, iOS and Android.

Cyber Dust | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

But that's not the point... the point is that no matter how much better Cyber Dust is, you won't find all your *cool* friends using it. Snapchat's popular, it's in the spotlight, enough young' ins have bought into the scam for it to reach phenomena status... and it's something WP doesn't have.
    Snapchat used to have actual deleting of pics/vids but they changed that over a year ago. One can actually rewatch an old picture, once a day. What kind of 'security' is this? Snapchat literally does not do what it should do, and I really don't get the cool factor of it. But it's actually not popular where I live, so I guess that's why the appeal escapes me. Good analysis, though.
    03-31-2015 07:19 AM
    I'm not sure that "over half of WP users would download it".
    I've never met anyone that uses it.
    theefman likes this.
    03-31-2015 07:34 AM
    Snapchat used to have actual deleting of pics/vids but they changed that over a year ago. One can actually rewatch an old picture, once a day. What kind of 'security' is this? Snapchat literally does not do what it should do, and I really don't get the cool factor of it. But it's actually not popular where I live, so I guess that's why the appeal escapes me. Good analysis, though.
    I think you have an over exaggerated idea of how many smartphone users are out there and how many might be WP users.

There was an estimated 1.69 billion smartphone users in 2014 of that, 2.8% were WP users. That means about 46 million WP users, or to put into perspective, 70% of the population of the UK.

How many of those would download and use Snapchat is questionable and is it at all significant?
    03-31-2015 07:50 AM
    I wouldn't hold my breath.

AFAIK, nobody here really has a crystal ball.
    Don't lie, you have a crystal ball lying around somewhere. It's just made out of diamonds instead of crystals :P

As for a snapchat app, last time I check the CEO of it laughed at the idea about it so, I think not. Of course if somehow Windows 10 marketshare on the mobile market increases then maybe they'll reconsider.
    tgp likes this.
    03-31-2015 07:51 AM
    As for a snapchat app, last time I check the CEO of it laughed at the idea about it so, I think not. Of course if somehow Windows 10 marketshare on the mobile market increases then maybe they'll reconsider.
    I agree. While Snapchat's CEO is know to disdain WP, if the potential profit from it got high enough, I'm sure he'd rethink his position. He is, after all, CEO of a multi billion dollar company for a reason.
    03-31-2015 08:22 AM
    I can see Snapchat giving in after a while. I think the appeal of having Snapchat across Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox without much effort to customise the app for each could win them over; with Windows and Xbox added to WP, that's a phenomenal amount of potential users.
    03-31-2015 08:42 AM
    Try Barclays or NatWest. Full and native WP support there.
    03-31-2015 09:01 AM
    I see snapchat fading into obscurity in 12-18 month's time. They're burning their way through shed loads of investor cash and they need to find way to monetise their current success at attracting vast swathes of the hipster crowd which most likely means ads with your snap.

Does WP need Snapchat? On the face of it, yeah, any positive spin on attracting supposedly Tier 1 social media products to the platform is a good thing but at what cost and who's cost? Should Microsoft do what they did with Youtube and quietly build their own "official" client, present it to snapchat and hope they let them publish it? Remember how well that went with Google?

Quite frankly, WP has bigger problems than trying to woe a Snapchat CEO who seems single-handedly hell-bent on Microsoft's destruction for whatever reason.
    Andrew Gordon likes this.
    03-31-2015 09:54 AM
    Although it is stupid, popularity is king. And ive had a handful of friends who loved my camera, and how quick my phone was, but because it didn't have snapchat they didn't want to switch to it. Little games and stuff too - unfortunately
    03-31-2015 12:03 PM
    What does maturity have to do with business decisions?

Three percent market share is still 60 million potential users. Couple this with the fact that these CEO ignore the MS ecosystem because they have a personal beef with MS. Especially when MS was going to do all their leg work and provide an app for them at no cost? THAT is immaturity.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-31-2015 12:08 PM
82 1234