04-25-2015 07:00 AM
82 ... 234
tools
    IF Microsoft were to do these things, then yes, it is possible that it could take away some of the SnapChat user base. I honestly don't think it would make a very large dent, however, because Skype is a fee based service, whereas SnapChat is free. Let's face it, the vast majority of SnapChat users are teenagers that don't have an income. How in the world SnapChat ever intends to monetize it is beyond me. They will have to figure out something, though, because investors won't wait much longer for cash to start rolling in before they jump to the next big thing, then SnapChat will be history. The user base matters not. If they can't monetize it, it will collapse under its own weight.
    Snapchat will most probably try to sell their company to a bigger company. This is the exact same strategy pursued by Instagram, they did not have any income stream when Facebook bought them over.

Facebook was willing to pay billions of dollars for the service. It's the same thing snapchat will be looking to accomplish.
    Laura Knotek and rhapdog like this.
    04-13-2015 09:45 PM
    Snapchat will most probably try to sell their company to a bigger company. This is the exact same strategy pursued by Instagram, they did not have any income stream when Facebook bought them over.

Facebook was willing to pay billions of dollars for the service. It's the same thing snapchat will be looking to accomplish.
    Interesting. That may very well be SnapChat's plan. However, Facebook's Messenger has a user base that makes SnapChat look like a minnow in a sea full of Blue Whales. If Facebook or Skype either one integrated "SnapChat-like" features, which would not be very difficult to do without buying SnapChat, then it would be a very real danger to SnapChat very quickly. If both integrated the features, it would be the death knell of SnapChat, and suddenly the usage would reach the adult world. Facebook could take SnapChat's user base away from them quite easily if they really wanted to. They probably already have the entire user base, they would just kill SnapChat in implementing it. Facebook doesn't need to buy it. It would literally only cost a few thousand dollars to develop it and they would save billions while killing off a competing messaging platform.

The only value SnapChat has is the user base. However, the user base, unlike Instagram, is mostly people too young to target for advertising in a legal manner. Instagram has a large adult user base. SnapChat has a small percentage of adult users. It doesn't make the same attractive buy-out situation.

Google's been known to throw money at silly notions and abject failures, perhaps they will buy it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-14-2015 07:56 AM
    Interesting. That may very well be SnapChat's plan. However, Facebook's Messenger has a user base that makes SnapChat look like a minnow in a sea full of Blue Whales. If Facebook or Skype either one integrated "SnapChat-like" features, which would not be very difficult to do without buying SnapChat, then it would be a very real danger to SnapChat very quickly. If both integrated the features, it would be the death knell of SnapChat, and suddenly the usage would reach the adult world. Facebook could take SnapChat's user base away from them quite easily if they really wanted to. They probably already have the entire user base, they would just kill SnapChat in implementing it. Facebook doesn't need to buy it. It would literally only cost a few thousand dollars to develop it and they would save billions while killing off a competing messaging platform.

The only value SnapChat has is the user base. However, the user base, unlike Instagram, is mostly people too young to target for advertising in a legal manner. Instagram has a large adult user base. SnapChat has a small percentage of adult users. It doesn't make the same attractive buy-out situation.

Google's been known to throw money at silly notions and abject failures, perhaps they will buy it.
    This is all true, except I don't think you understand the teenager's mindset when it comes to snapchat. The reason every teenager has a snapchat is not because they can send self destructing images, they have a snapchat because everyone else has a snapchat. It's a trend. So offering another app that does the same thing would not work 99/100 times you try. Cool teens have a snapchat, and every teen wants to be cool and follow the crowd.
    04-24-2015 12:45 AM

They already have much of the functionality in Messenger already (drawing, capturing and sending photos right in the app)
    Maybe if they add a tactical self destruct/cleanup feature or mode (with the same ol' screenshot alert) and captions on the photo, they'll be in good shape. (as well as something to rival stories)

This is all true, except I don't think you understand the teenager's mindset when it comes to snapchat. The reason every teenager has a snapchat is not because they can send self destructing images, they have a snapchat because everyone else has a snapchat. It's a trend. So offering another app that does the same thing would not work 99/100 times you try. Cool teens have a snapchat, and every teen wants to be cool and follow the crowd.
    Am teen.
    Can only semi-confirm. As of now the ease-of-use, featureset and "cleanliness" is unrivaled my any player with enough inertia to unseat the incumbent.
    Self-destructing has an appeal. (not many want to save or clog up phones with pictures of random dogs and food, but doesn't mean one doesn't want to see what others are up to/share what theyre up to)
    Its just another communication channel that many don't want to miss out on, maybe because its "cool" and we're sheep but not necessarily.
    tgp, Laura Knotek and rhapdog like this.
    04-24-2015 02:43 PM
    Cool teens have a snapchat, and every teen wants to be cool and follow the crowd.
    Following the crowd doesn't make you cool. It just makes you a lemming, or a sheep. Lemmings have been known to follow each other off cliffs.

Cool is being the one that leads and introduces new things that are good for everyone.

If, when I was in High School, I had "followed the crowd" and done exactly what everyone else did, then I wouldn't have had multiple dates every Friday and Saturday night, and girls waiting in line asking when I'd take them out.

Of course, my version of SnapChat back then was to include a chisel and hammer tied to the stone the note was chiseled on, with the instructions to chip the rock into small unrecognizable pieces when they were done reading the pic art on the stones. Yeah, it's been that long since High School. Maybe the girls just liked me because I was one of the few guys that wasn't a complete Neanderthal. Maybe it was because I bathed regularly, and the Neanderthals didn't. Maybe it was because my grunts were cute.

Later, young'uns.
    xandros9, Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    04-24-2015 06:23 PM
    Following the crowd doesn't make you cool. It just makes you a lemming, or a sheep. Lemmings have been known to follow each other off cliffs.

Cool is being the one that leads and introduces new things that are good for everyone.

If, when I was in High School, I had "followed the crowd" and done exactly what everyone else did, then I wouldn't have had multiple dates every Friday and Saturday night, and girls waiting in line asking when I'd take them out.

Of course, my version of SnapChat back then was to include a chisel and hammer tied to the stone the note was chiseled on, with the instructions to chip the rock into small unrecognizable pieces when they were done reading the pic art on the stones. Yeah, it's been that long since High School. Maybe the girls just liked me because I was one of the few guys that wasn't a complete Neanderthal. Maybe it was because I bathed regularly, and the Neanderthals didn't. Maybe it was because my grunts were cute.

Later, young'uns.
    Haha yes this is all true. I wasn't telling you my personal opinion or what I think is cool, I was simply explaining to you the average teenager's perception, or what society would label as 'cool'.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    04-25-2015 12:37 AM

Later, young'uns.
    Alright, Travolta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Daniel Olsen likes this.
    04-25-2015 07:00 AM
82 ... 234