Are we going to get Snapchat ever ?

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Man all my friends are in Snapchat, they did used to have the app: 6Snap right? What happened to that.

6Snap relied on an API that is provided by Snapchat for third-party vendors to use. However, due to security issues regarding the API which lead to a massive security breach, they pulled it out and told all those using third party apps to stop using it, instead, they told them to use the official app. Rudy received an email from Snapchat to shut down his app when he continued to support it... So yeah. That's what happened to 6Snap

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
There are other disappearing message apps, such as Telegram, BBM.
But You are not the cool kid if you don't have Snapchat.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Evan Spiegel (Snapchat CEO) is a level 149 *********. He doesn't give a f*** about WP. He even seems to hate Microsoft, because for him it's an "uncool" company...

With a CEO like that, I doubt we will ever get Snapchat. Except if Facebook buys them, because yeah, Mark Zuckerberg is a minimum mature... He knows the responsibilities of being CEO, and that you can't act like a 12 year old (even though some 12 year olds are surely more mature than Spiegel).

Anyway, I bet you anything that in two years time, everyone will have forgotten about Snapchat. We've missed that train, let's just not try and miss any other big ones...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I am not saying they, "have" to as in it is mandatory, but if W10 for Phones gains significant market share then ignoring WP will be detrimental to business and no logical person would alienate a large percentage of the market.

Wondering how it would be "detrimental to business". They get no revenue from WP users now, if the userbase increases the situation stays the same but its not exactly detrimental. And so far they seem to have no trouble getting funding so unless some investors threaten to withhold future funding due to ignoring Windows I don't see how its detrimental to them in that situation either.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
The collective maturity of the CEO's at SnapChat, Pebble, and others like them are low. It is unlikely it will come until the market share is too much to ignore.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm not seeing it anytime soon. While I doubt an app is the easiest thing to make, surely a company valued at over 10 billion can crap something out for us? I still send em a tweet every so often. #SnapchatonWP

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I simply do not get the appeal of this app. Why is it such a big deal?
From a technical standpoint, it's not.

The major appeal was in the sheer insignificance of what's said when you're having a "self-destructive" conversation... thing is, the security blows and the self-destructiveness is phoned in. By all means, Cyber Dust actually does what Snapchat falsely claims to do... and they support WP, iOS and Android.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/cyber-dust/7f4e2e74-1134-474e-943c-ec38be85d471

But that's not the point... the point is that no matter how much better Cyber Dust is, you won't find all your *cool* friends using it. Snapchat's popular, it's in the spotlight, enough young' ins have bought into the scam for it to reach phenomena status... and it's something WP doesn't have.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
95% of the people who use Snapchat could care less about its "security". People use it cause its fun and another way to be an attention wh0re.

Daniel Olsen

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I really think Microsoft should allow android apps to work on windows 10. I don't see it as them "giving up" but quite the opposite actually. For example, would you rather have an Xbox or an Xbox that plays both Xbox games and Playstation games? I see it as a feature that would make windows phone more superior, supporting more types of code and not limiting developers. Android developers could still develop windows design language focused apps that were in the same code language they are used to, not having to learn new types of code trying how to recreate their apps for a new platform.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
There are other disappearing message apps, such as Telegram, BBM.
But You are not the cool kid if you don't have Snapchat.

Err Telegram & BBM (the beta just recently got updated too) are still in the store, I find it amusing that people use snapchat just like they use whatsapp... and the other draw of snapchat is "Stories". Honestly anyone else can replicate what they are doing and probably do it better, once that happens - bye bye SnapChat.

kishorekumar_a

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Err Telegram & BBM (the beta just recently got updated too) are still in the store, I find it amusing that people use snapchat just like they use whatsapp... and the other draw of snapchat is "Stories". Honestly anyone else can replicate what they are doing and probably do it better, once that happens - bye bye SnapChat.

When he said "disappearing message apps", he meant that the message disappears (Not that the app disappears from store).

EBUK

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Maybe Nationwide Bank will release an app, or even a full Instagram update? Lol!

Received today from Nationwide:

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

I understand that Windows users are keen to have the functionality already offered in our app for IOS and Android. We're looking closely into this and hope to be able to provide a Windows app in the future. You can keep updated with our progress via our website and we will make you aware when this becomes available.

So there is hope.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The collective maturity of the CEO's at SnapChat, Pebble, and others like them are low. It is unlikely it will come until the market share is too much to ignore.

What does maturity have to do with business decisions?

WP still sits at ~3% market share. Hasn't moved much. Why invest any money in a OS system that doesn't seem to get anywhere?

Look at it from this point of view, it's called ROI. Those companies you mention, have to:
1. get a developer
2. have them develop
3. quality check
4. pay for uploading to the store
5. get feedback on the app
6. do updates
7. deal with new updates from the OS maker
8. add new features

Now that's a lot for an app. Think about the money involved with that. Is a 3% market share worth that? I probably missed a couple of things but you get my point.

Maybe it's my age but I don't get why people are not understanding that there's a cost associated with making an app? Especially once you become popular.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So there is hope.
Whilst it was nice of them to take the time to reply to you, that's a generic cut and paste response that, I'd wager, never even made it past 1st line customer support. Which is probably overseas.
It hasn't come from anyone who can actually make that happen.

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Why invest any money in a OS system that doesn't seem to get anywhere?
Exactly this. A lot of the Snapchat generation seem to think that companies exist to sell product and make money. In the post-teen world, companies have a business plan. Predominantly it's an exit strategy, which is how they were able to get start-up investment in the first place. If Snapchat's business plan is to get x-million users on any platform and then sell up shop at an enormous profit, then that's their plan. After all, who'd have thought there was money in teen t1tties? And if they can do that without setting up a Windows app, then they'll probably not bother.

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
WP still sits at ~3% market share. Hasn't moved much. Why invest any money in a OS system that doesn't seem to get anywhere?

It' not 3% of 100 people. Even this three percent is quite literally tens of millions of people... Software has been made for lesser people, and it did just fine. Over half WP users would download it in an instant would it become available considering how eagerly people are waiting for it, and that's not a small number of people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077