Are we going to get Snapchat ever ?

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
From a technical standpoint, it's not.

The major appeal was in the sheer insignificance of what's said when you're having a "self-destructive" conversation... thing is, the security blows and the self-destructiveness is phoned in. By all means, Cyber Dust actually does what Snapchat falsely claims to do... and they support WP, iOS and Android.

Cyber Dust | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

But that's not the point... the point is that no matter how much better Cyber Dust is, you won't find all your *cool* friends using it. Snapchat's popular, it's in the spotlight, enough young' ins have bought into the scam for it to reach phenomena status... and it's something WP doesn't have.

Snapchat used to have actual deleting of pics/vids but they changed that over a year ago. One can actually rewatch an old picture, once a day. What kind of 'security' is this? Snapchat literally does not do what it should do, and I really don't get the cool factor of it. But it's actually not popular where I live, so I guess that's why the appeal escapes me. Good analysis, though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Snapchat used to have actual deleting of pics/vids but they changed that over a year ago. One can actually rewatch an old picture, once a day. What kind of 'security' is this? Snapchat literally does not do what it should do, and I really don't get the cool factor of it. But it's actually not popular where I live, so I guess that's why the appeal escapes me. Good analysis, though.

I think you have an over exaggerated idea of how many smartphone users are out there and how many might be WP users.

There was an estimated 1.69 billion smartphone users in 2014 of that, 2.8% were WP users. That means about 46 million WP users, or to put into perspective, 70% of the population of the UK.

How many of those would download and use Snapchat is questionable and is it at all significant?

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
xandros9 said:
I wouldn't hold my breath.

AFAIK, nobody here really has a crystal ball.

Don't lie, you have a crystal ball lying around somewhere. It's just made out of diamonds instead of crystals :p

As for a snapchat app, last time I check the CEO of it laughed at the idea about it so, I think not. Of course if somehow Windows 10 marketshare on the mobile market increases then maybe they'll reconsider.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As for a snapchat app, last time I check the CEO of it laughed at the idea about it so, I think not. Of course if somehow Windows 10 marketshare on the mobile market increases then maybe they'll reconsider.

I agree. While Snapchat's CEO is know to disdain WP, if the potential profit from it got high enough, I'm sure he'd rethink his position. He is, after all, CEO of a multi billion dollar company for a reason.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I can see Snapchat giving in after a while. I think the appeal of having Snapchat across Windows, Windows Phone and Xbox without much effort to customise the app for each could win them over; with Windows and Xbox added to WP, that's a phenomenal amount of potential users.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I see snapchat fading into obscurity in 12-18 month's time. They're burning their way through shed loads of investor cash and they need to find way to monetise their current success at attracting vast swathes of the hipster crowd which most likely means ads with your snap.

Does WP need Snapchat? On the face of it, yeah, any positive spin on attracting supposedly Tier 1 social media products to the platform is a good thing but at what cost and who's cost? Should Microsoft do what they did with Youtube and quietly build their own "official" client, present it to snapchat and hope they let them publish it? Remember how well that went with Google?

Quite frankly, WP has bigger problems than trying to woe a Snapchat CEO who seems single-handedly hell-bent on Microsoft's destruction for whatever reason.

Eddie Mendoza

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Although it is stupid, popularity is king. And ive had a handful of friends who loved my camera, and how quick my phone was, but because it didn't have snapchat they didn't want to switch to it. Little games and stuff too - unfortunately

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
What does maturity have to do with business decisions?

WP still sits at ~3% market share. Hasn't moved much. Why invest any money in a OS system that doesn't seem to get anywhere?
Three percent market share is still 60 million potential users. Couple this with the fact that these CEO ignore the MS ecosystem because they have a personal beef with MS. Especially when MS was going to do all their leg work and provide an app for them at no cost? THAT is immaturity.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Three percent market share is still 60 million potential users. Couple this with the fact that these CEO ignore the MS ecosystem because they have a personal beef with MS. Especially when MS was going to do all their leg work and provide an app for them at no cost? THAT is immaturity.

It's not 60 million. Did you not read my post? It's 46 million. WP is only ~2.8% of the ~1.69 billion users as of fourth quarter results 2014. The user volume decreased, it's the only platform of the top three to do so. Apple sold almost double the amount of iPhones in the fourth quarter than WP has users.

Is this sinking in yet?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It's not 60 million. Did you not read my post? It's 46 million. WP is only ~2.8% of the ~1.69 billion users as of fourth quarter results 2014. The user volume decreased, it's the only platform of the top three to do so. Apple sold almost double the amount of iPhones in the fourth quarter than WP has users.
Save it. I don't care. Target fixate on the number all you want, it doesn't make the immaturity statement any less legitimate. It doesn't matter if there are 20 million users. Microsoft was going to develop the apps and maintain it for them, at no cost, and they said no.....because they are 30-someodd-year old babies that grew up in the time when it was cool to loathe MS.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Err Telegram & BBM (the beta just recently got updated too) are still in the store, I find it amusing that people use snapchat just like they use whatsapp... and the other draw of snapchat is "Stories". Honestly anyone else can replicate what they are doing and probably do it better, once that happens - bye bye SnapChat.
I think they realize that...thats why they are trying to become a Media company.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Save it. I don't care. Target fixate on the number all you want, it doesn't make the immaturity statement any less legitimate. It doesn't matter if there are 20 million users. Microsoft was going to develop the apps and maintain it for them, at no cost, and they said no.....because they are 30-someodd-year old babies that grew up in the time when it was cool to loathe MS.
I'm just stating facts. It's business, nothing personal. If they said what you believe is immature things then that's your perception. They might just be saying things you don't like to hear.

WinampLlama

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Although it is stupid, popularity is king. And ive had a handful of friends who loved my camera, and how quick my phone was, but because it didn't have snapchat they didn't want to switch to it. Little games and stuff too - unfortunately

Yeah, it's really too bad. A lot of people are like: oh cool phone, I heard there's aren't that many apps, any big ones missing? Snapchat is usually the deal breaker :/

KeegdnaB42

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm just stating facts. It's business, nothing personal. If they said what you believe is immature things then that's your perception. They might just be saying things you don't like to hear.
You state "it's a business decision" as if a 23 year old frat boy is the greatest businessman to ever live and not some ******* kid who lucked out and made an app that got popular. Snapchat doesn't make money, they just take billions from investors on the promise that it might someday. Yes, this has absolutely everything to do with the CEO being a huge ********* who hates Microsoft. He would never be a CEO at any company that wasn't his personal plaything, and if I were Microsoft and in a particularly spiteful mood, I'd buy them out even if it meant overpaying by 10 times what its worth just so I could throw his *** on the street. As you can see, I'm equally as qualified to run a company as he is.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You state "it's a business decision" as if a 23 year old frat boy is the greatest businessman to ever live and not some ******* kid who lucked out and made an app that got popular. Snapchat doesn't make money, they just take billions from investors on the promise that it might someday. Yes, this has absolutely everything to do with the CEO being a huge ********* who hates Microsoft. He would never be a CEO at any company that wasn't his personal plaything, and if I were Microsoft and in a particularly spiteful mood, I'd buy them out even if it meant overpaying by 10 times what its worth just so I could throw his *** on the street. As you can see, I'm equally as qualified to run a company as he is.

He's no different than any other CEO. If you believe differently then you're living under a rock. All CEO's are assholes. It's part of the job and if you can't deal with that then you shouldn't be a CEO. There's no such thing as Mr. Nice Guy in CEO land. If MS were to shut down tomorrow the CEOs will all have other jobs, it would be the other employees who might struggle. That's reality. To the CEO, it's just another job.

IF WP had the market share this wouldn't be an issue with any app. They'd all be bending over backwards to get an app out like they do for iPhone or Android but even there not all apps are on all ecosystems. So it's not as black and white as most people make it.

If you want to be angry at anyone you should be angry at the app developers who circumvented the Snapchat policies. You cannot blame the makers of Snapchat for wanting to ensure the app works as described. You also cannot blame them for not wanting to make an app for such a small ecosystem of less than 3%. Of which maybe 50% or less would use the app.

Unfortunately WP is in that situation. It's not up to me or you to fix that.

The good news is that WP will probably still be around when Snapchat tanks sometime soon. Think of it like that. There's a happy thought for you.

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
The raison d'?tre for Snapchat is long gone there's no point in supporting this bullcrap, regardless of whether there was a good app for WP or not. This company should be left crash and burn.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Snapchat will probably never come which gives a good opportunity for someone to program a similar app like Snapchat for Windows phone/Windows 10 and other mobile devices.

Whoever does it first gets to enjoy to benefit of helping the community having an app that's considered trivial at best as to why it exists. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12