The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-20-2015 10:03 PM
51 123
tools
    Why Microsoft developing the app that should be developed by Facebook?
    07-07-2015 02:28 AM
    You misunderstand the term "official". This is the official FB app. The official app is made by whomever FB endorses to make it, in this case MS.
    I'm guessing the main reason is money. It's not a cheap app to build and support/evolve, and in some places it integrates directly with the OS (contacts, in earlier builds also messaging, etc). Why not let MS make it?
    07-07-2015 03:23 AM
    Its good that Microsoft provided it but I was thinking that why fb itself not providing it, although they develop it for desktop version.
    07-07-2015 04:46 AM
    Way back in the mists of time, Facebook contacts were integrated into the People hub more closely than it is now. I guess that in order to help that happen, the Facebook app needed to use private API methods, which were better used by the Microsoft app development team.

I don't know this for sure, but it seems a reasonable theory to me.

So Microsoft got the rights to create Facebook app on Windows Phone. At the same time, Microsoft embedded Bing into Facebook (Facebook searches (and probably a few internals) are powered by Bing).

This collaboration also resulted in the Facebook 'f' logo and contact placeholder icons being baked into the People app (regardless of whether people use Facebook or not).
    07-07-2015 05:42 AM
    There is no such thing as a desktop facebook app. It's web application that runs on every browser and is OS agnostic
    Like I said, the answer is OS integration (which MS wants or at least once wanted, but FB can't do as easily nor has much reason to) and development costs, although I'm just guessing about the later.
    Pete and gpobernardo like this.
    07-07-2015 05:42 AM
    Way back in the mists of time, Facebook contacts were integrated into the People hub more closely than it is now. I guess that in order to help that happen, the Facebook app needed to use private API methods, which were better used by the Microsoft app development team.

I don't know this for sure, but it seems a reasonable theory to me.

So Microsoft got the rights to create Facebook app on Windows Phone. At the same time, Microsoft embedded Bing into Facebook (Facebook searches (and probably a few internals) are powered by Bing).

This collaboration also resulted in the Facebook 'f' logo and contact placeholder icons being baked into the People app (regardless of whether people use Facebook or not).
    Tbh, Microsoft shouldn't be developing the app anymore. Twitter can access the people hub too. Why aren't Microsoft giving the tools to Facebook instead. If they did thin the beginning, we wouldn't be missing out on features such as Facebook trends, news articles, apps linking to the Facebook app for game invites, searching for topics, smart search (search for people by city, address, place of work etc). At least we managed to get picture comments (in late 2014). With Windows 10, the APIs give all the developers the same tools Microsoft are allowed to use which means access to parts of the OS like the people hub, phone, calendar, Cortana interests, Xbox, accounts, emails etc. Just look at the ratings and reviews in the store. Microsoft shouldn't develop the app anymore. Facebook should.
    07-07-2015 06:13 AM
    From what i gathered (chatting with Lumia phone support) FB is only published by MS and is not developed by them. It also had to be one of the most badly or poorly made apps (even though i cannot code). Months and months and months of silly updates that still dont fix fundamental things is ridiculous, not to mention the ignorance of emails, and MS's slow action in doing what they need to.
    colinkiama likes this.
    07-07-2015 06:29 AM
    I think the reference to the desktop app is referring to the Windows 8.1 store app. It's really supposed to be a tablet app but will run on a desktop computer, and in Windows 10 it will run in windowed mode, similar to a desktop app. It supports a variety of notifications but does not have the same integration to your contacts in the People hub and calendar the Windows Phone version does. Microsoft used to integrate these with your Microsoft/Hotmail account instead which allowed the integration to work in Windows 8, Windows Phone 8.0, and the web (outlook.com). This integration is no longer functional as of about 4 weeks ago due to Facebook API changes. Windows Phone 8.1 uses Social Extensibility Framework from the Facebook app for the integration to work. This is something that Facebook themselves likely don't want to be involved with at this time. Although Facebook does not currently publish the Windows Phone app, they have assisted Microsoft with some of its development and they recognize it as an official app.
    colinkiama likes this.
    07-07-2015 06:36 AM
    Yes WP facebook is really bad I keep getting the same post or ones from yesterday over and over again. Its getting really old
    07-07-2015 07:10 AM
    Notifications opening in browser,pages not working well,it is a very bad app
    MikeSo and colinkiama like this.
    07-07-2015 07:21 AM
    No untag option
    07-07-2015 11:07 AM
    From what i gathered (chatting with Lumia phone support) FB is only published by MS and is not developed by them. It also had to be one of the most badly or poorly made apps (even though i cannot code). Months and months and months of silly updates that still dont fix fundamental things is ridiculous, not to mention the ignorance of emails, and MS's slow action in doing what they need to.
    That probably explains why even the old s40 phones have more features in their Facebook app than ours.
    Last edited by colinkiama; 07-08-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    trivishal and Singhonline like this.
    07-07-2015 11:20 AM
    Well........i like it, and that's all i care
    neo158 likes this.
    07-07-2015 11:29 AM
    That probably explains why even the old s40 phones have more features in their Facebook app then ours.
    S40 fb has more options than this.
    colinkiama likes this.
    07-07-2015 09:48 PM
    I'm still not sure why they don't port the Android and iOS Facebook apps to WP. I thought that was one of the big things you can do the new developer tools or whatever it was MS talked about recently. I guess again we're waiting for Windows 10 to save us.
    07-08-2015 05:49 AM
    I'm not sure why you guys call the apps were bad or something. I think they run pretty good. Facebook gave me notification in real time (which sometime annoy me) same goes with twitter.

Yes they both lack of feature but reliable and run well.

Don't know about yours but I'm happy with mine
    neo158 likes this.
    07-08-2015 06:35 AM
    Here we go again.
    07-08-2015 09:53 AM
    I'm still not sure why they don't port the Android and iOS Facebook apps to WP. I thought that was one of the big things you can do the new developer tools or whatever it was MS talked about recently. I guess again we're waiting for Windows 10 to save us.
    PProbably because its not available yet.
    07-08-2015 11:05 AM
    Here we go again.
    Could you elaborate?
    gpobernardo likes this.
    07-08-2015 11:06 AM
    I'm not sure why you guys call the apps were bad or something. I think they run pretty good. Facebook gave me notification in real time (which sometime annoy me) same goes with twitter.

Yes they both lack of feature but reliable and run well.

Don't know about yours but I'm happy with mine
    Notifications can be offed, head to settings and tinker around and yes i know what you mean, things like the find more friends message or do you know so and so message...
    colinkiama likes this.
    07-08-2015 11:07 AM
    Could you elaborate?
    Just search the forums and you'll see that this topic has cropped up multiple times before with the same answers each time. OP should really have searched the forum first before posting.
    07-08-2015 12:34 PM
    I would just like to end this thread by saying, Facebook is one of the apps that need to be ported from android and iOS using the new tools with Windows 10. The Facebook experience on WP is lacking compared to the others.
    07-08-2015 12:57 PM
    Moved to appropriate forum...

As per this advice: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask...ion-forum.html WC members are free to post in all areas of the board. Please use Ask a Question only for time critical help issues that affect the immediate functionality of your device.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-08-2015 01:43 PM
    I would just like to end this thread by saying, Facebook is one of the apps that need to be ported from android and iOS using the new tools with Windows 10. The Facebook experience on WP is lacking compared to the others.
    Maybe you should tell us all what the Facebook app is lacking because as far as I can tell it has ALL the same features of the Android and iOS versions?
    Jazmac likes this.
    07-08-2015 02:42 PM
    Maybe you should tell us all what the Facebook app is lacking because as far as I can tell it has ALL the same features of the Android and iOS versions?
    i would like to list out some issues:
    1. Not available to reply to a particular comment.
    2. Click on birthday notification takes to blank event page
    3. Image uploaded from facebook app in groups is not visible to other members of group
    4. Notification are not reliable
    chmun77 and vsmh96 like this.
    07-08-2015 11:04 PM
51 123