Great app UI(s) on Windows Mobile

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Lots of discussion has been sparked regarding MS's UI decisions for Windows 10 mobile apps. Many like it, others don't.
Here's a list of a few apps that have done it right with and without the hamburger, in my opinion. Share yours if you have any!

First off is the Readit app. The update brought in this pleasant surprise. Notice the hamburger menu being moved to the bottom - accessible to users with big phones, and the scrolling from article to the comment.

Readit Menu.png Readit Home.png Readit Article scrolling.png

Then, the freecharge, 6tag and the UC Browser apps. The menus can easily be accessed with one hand, and the UI, in a general sense is compact. Not too much noise, but enough horsepower to drive you through the app.

Freecharge:
Freecharge1.png Freecharge2.png Freecharge3.png

6TAG: (notice how the three most used buttons (camera, search and refresh don't need extra taps). To post, all you do is open the app and tap on the camera. Even the viewfinder needs bottom of the screen taps. Easy to perform, no?
6tag.png 6tag viewfinder.png

UC Browser: Another compact UI. Major settings can be found under the three dots, slide down to set a password, swipe to navigate, home in a single tap.
UC1.png UC2.png UC3.png

Let's see some more, or see your thoughts. I think these have hassle free UIs. Let's hope other app makers take some cues from these. guys.

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn here. I want great UI, but MS has been pushy with developers in WP, from forcing them to do live tiles to using certain dev tools (when all of them work). I think at this point it might be best to use the Surface approach and build some with awesome UI to show folks what they can do, then let cut prices for submitting to the store and for using the dev tools. Yes, some of these things they already do, but I don't have a better solution. To know some devs are frustrated with working with Microsoft at this point in the game is frustrating. Perhaps MS should be sending flowers to everyone, getting them on board, and not sticking to old traditions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes