[Gapps] Is there a hint whether Google will port their apps to WM10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello,
I use GoogleMaps and several other GoogleApps daily, so it would be a nice to know whether they will be ported to WM10 or not. Do you have some serious information?

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
It's not an issue of shallowness, but relevancy. How exactly will "if universal works for the platform" convince Google to port their apps over to Windows Phone? This thread is about Gapps is it not?

Below is the screenshot of comparative apps in Windows and Google. Mostly alternatives are available on Windows.
Screenshot_2016-01-01-23-05-43.jpgwp_ss_20160101_0001.jpg

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Below is the screenshot of comparative apps in Windows and Google. Mostly alternatives are available on Windows.
View attachment 119800View attachment 119801
Well, I thought the discussion was about Google porting their apps over to Windows Phone. No one is denying that some/all of Google's services are available in some alternative/equivalent form on Windows Phone. But as someone else previously pointed out, it isn't optimal or desirable. Those developers end up chasing Google and will lag behind any changes that Google makes to their apps/services (that require a comparable change to those 3rd party apps).

I understand that many on Windows Phone have lower expectations and lower standards either because of an affinity for Microsoft or "faith" in the platform. But those sentiments won't help grow Windows Phone marketshare... which is the only true motivator to attract developers. (which is the secondary issue in this thread)

ghaikal

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
No one has new information. But you can use Google maps in gmaps app. Google email in Outlook email. Google calendar in Calendar. Google contacts in the People app etc. Youtube in many great apps. Waze exists but is quite old.

So it's not like you don't get to use Google services, it's just not as slick as on Android.

Some google services like email for businesses, where the IT blocked access for outlook.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Well, I thought the discussion was about Google porting their apps over to Windows Phone. No one is denying that some/all of Google's services are available in some alternative/equivalent form on Windows Phone. But as someone else previously pointed out, it isn't optimal or desirable. Those developers end up chasing Google and will lag behind any changes that Google makes to their apps/services (that require a comparable change to those 3rd party apps).

I understand that many on Windows Phone have lower expectations and lower standards either because of an affinity for Microsoft or "faith" in the platform. But those sentiments won't help grow Windows Phone marketshare... which is the only true motivator to attract developers. (which is the secondary issue in this thread)

I do understand the discussion and the reason why I post the screenshots, is because Google doesn't want its services on Windows Phone. Although all of us want to see Google apps on Windows Phone, it is not going to happen in the nearest or farthest future. Understanding that fact, accepting that fact and moving on with the available apps will be best way.

ghaikal

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Outlook is the best app for business / enterprise. I am surprised that the IT in your office blocks it. In our offices, IT blocks other services due to security threats.

But the IT reply they blocked it for Secuirity reasons !! Now I have to choose either an iPhone or Samsung because they have google apps on them 🙁

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
But the IT reply they blocked it for Secuirity reasons !! Now I have to choose either an iPhone or Samsung because they have google apps on them 
We block all web based email in general because of the nature of the work and sensitivity of the information.Yes we call it security but not that these sites are not secure, but the information we handle has to be protected. Who knows what links you click outside of the office or if you happen to love these stupid toolbars on your browser.
Dropbox, Gdrive, OneDrive. Box and most private storage sites are blocked by as a matter of course and I believe should be. Of course, there are those that can still get access to all of that. But the rank and file simply won't.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos