[Gapps] Is there a hint whether Google will port their apps to WM10?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hello,
I use GoogleMaps and several other GoogleApps daily, so it would be a nice to know whether they will be ported to WM10 or not. Do you have some serious information?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No one has new information. But you can use Google maps in gmaps app. Google email in Outlook email. Google calendar in Calendar. Google contacts in the People app etc. Youtube in many great apps. Waze exists but is quite old.

So it's not like you don't get to use Google services, it's just not as slick as on Android.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it will ever happen - they compete on the office stuff, so why should they? I think the only reason they released Drive/Docs etc for the iOS was because of the market share of iOS.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Almost everything google has, MS has done a great job replacing so i doubt we will see any google app in the near future, youtube replaced by many superior third party apps

Of course this is meaningless when everyone you collaborate with uses google - luckily i can use my SP3 and firefox to use google docs, and ok, so there are third party YouTube apps, but they are at the mercy of google changing the backend API - one day they work, then the next day they can break.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Of course this is meaningless when everyone you collaborate with uses google - luckily i can use my SP3 and firefox to use google docs, and ok, so there are third party YouTube apps, but they are at the mercy of google changing the backend API - one day they work, then the next day they can break.
Yeah but great third-party applications like Perfect Tube get updates constantly to keep up with Google. I've never had issues with Perfect Tube not working.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I suppose anything is possible especially in light of how Microsoft's new "Universal" strategy appears to be making waves.

True, but waves Google would rather not have to deal with. If anything, Google's apps and services being ported is becoming even more unlikely.

Technically achieving the ability to compete better + diminishing market share = even fewer reasons for Google to support anything Windows.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I suppose anything is possible especially in light of how Microsoft's new "Universal" strategy appears to be making waves.
Microsoft's "Universal" strategy is about Microsoft taking their software to other OS platforms... not about getting software from those platforms to Microsoft's OSes.

Apple is a hardware company who delves into the "necessary evil" of software to sell the hardware. As the hardware has become more popular, they have passed off the software piece to 3rd parties. The only Apple software available for Windows these days are in direct support of Apple's hardware. That is why Safari for Windows has been discontinued.

Google dominates (in shear number of units sold) the mobile space. They gain nothing by bringing their software to Windows Phone... and potentially help a struggling competitor (in the mobile space) gain marketshare. Microsoft needs Google, I don't see how Google needs Microsoft.

True, but waves Google would rather not have to deal with. If anything, Google's apps and services being ported is becoming even more unlikely.

Technically achieving the ability to compete better + diminishing market share = even less reasons for Google to support anything Windows.
The only reason why I'm not currently using a Windows Phone device (even though I believe that the OS and hardware are terrific) is the lack of Google's apps. I'm sure that I'm not alone.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft's "Universal" strategy is about Microsoft taking their software to other OS platforms... not about getting software from those platforms to Microsoft's OSes.

That's not true, while Microsoft put their apps on all platforms, the very idea of "Universal apps" is an app that works on any version of Windows 10, desktop and tablet, phone, xbox, Hololens. That's exactly what it means when you see "Universal" on an app in the Windows Store.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I thought I smelled feet. The point is, if universal works for the platform, it will attract the attention of those that develop software. OMG, how do you get this shallow?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Technically achieving the ability to compete better + diminishing market share = even less reasons for Google to support anything Windows.

Hard to discount the fact that the majority of how google stacks paper is on the desktop. They can run....

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That's not true, while Microsoft put their apps on all platforms, the very idea of "Universal apps" is an app that works on any version of Windows 10, desktop and tablet, phone, xbox, Hololens. That's exactly what it means when you see "Universal" on an app in the Windows Store.
Yes, I understand that but in the context of the discussion at hand (Google bringing apps to Windows Phone) it is not relevant.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I thought I smelled feet. The point is, if universal works for the platform, it will attract the attention of those that develop software. OMG, how do you get this shallow?
It's not an issue of shallowness, but relevancy. How exactly will "if universal works for the platform" convince Google to port their apps over to Windows Phone? This thread is about Gapps is it not?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss