The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-07-2016 01:19 AM
28 12
tools
    Hello,
    I use GoogleMaps and several other GoogleApps daily, so it would be a nice to know whether they will be ported to WM10 or not. Do you have some serious information?
    12-29-2015 10:09 AM
    No one has new information. But you can use Google maps in gmaps app. Google email in Outlook email. Google calendar in Calendar. Google contacts in the People app etc. Youtube in many great apps. Waze exists but is quite old.

So it's not like you don't get to use Google services, it's just not as slick as on Android.
    libra89, xandros9, ven07 and 3 others like this.
    12-29-2015 10:14 AM
    I doubt it will ever happen - they compete on the office stuff, so why should they? I think the only reason they released Drive/Docs etc for the iOS was because of the market share of iOS.
    12-29-2015 11:13 AM
    Almost everything google has, MS has done a great job replacing so i doubt we will see any google app in the near future, youtube replaced by many superior third party apps
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    12-29-2015 12:46 PM
    Almost everything google has, MS has done a great job replacing so i doubt we will see any google app in the near future, youtube replaced by many superior third party apps
    Wish there was something as cost effective as the Hangouts Dialer, by far the cheapest VoIP on the market.?!
    12-29-2015 01:19 PM
    Of course this is meaningless when everyone you collaborate with uses google - luckily i can use my SP3 and firefox to use google docs, and ok, so there are third party YouTube apps, but they are at the mercy of google changing the backend API - one day they work, then the next day they can break.
    12-29-2015 03:07 PM
    Of course this is meaningless when everyone you collaborate with uses google - luckily i can use my SP3 and firefox to use google docs, and ok, so there are third party YouTube apps, but they are at the mercy of google changing the backend API - one day they work, then the next day they can break.
    Yeah but great third-party applications like Perfect Tube get updates constantly to keep up with Google. I've never had issues with Perfect Tube not working.
    12-30-2015 10:13 PM
    I suppose anything is possible especially in light of how Microsoft's new "Universal" strategy appears to be making waves.
    Laura Knotek and gcyoung like this.
    12-31-2015 01:22 AM
    I suppose anything is possible especially in light of how Microsoft's new "Universal" strategy appears to be making waves.
    True, but waves Google would rather not have to deal with. If anything, Google's apps and services being ported is becoming even more unlikely.

Technically achieving the ability to compete better + diminishing market share = even fewer reasons for Google to support anything Windows.
    Last edited by a5cent; 01-02-2016 at 01:32 AM. Reason: grammar
    jmshub likes this.
    12-31-2015 04:10 AM
    In an ideal world for Google, Windows Phone devices are blocked from using their services altogether. Don't expect any official support.
    12-31-2015 09:21 AM
    Microsoft's "Universal" strategy is about Microsoft taking their software to other OS platforms... not about getting software from those platforms to Microsoft's OSes.

Apple is a hardware company who delves into the "necessary evil" of software to sell the hardware. As the hardware has become more popular, they have passed off the software piece to 3rd parties. The only Apple software available for Windows these days are in direct support of Apple's hardware. That is why Safari for Windows has been discontinued.

Google dominates (in shear number of units sold) the mobile space. They gain nothing by bringing their software to Windows Phone... and potentially help a struggling competitor (in the mobile space) gain marketshare. Microsoft needs Google, I don't see how Google needs Microsoft.

True, but waves Google would rather not have to deal with. If anything, Google's apps and services being ported is becoming even more unlikely.

Technically achieving the ability to compete better + diminishing market share = even less reasons for Google to support anything Windows.
    The only reason why I'm not currently using a Windows Phone device (even though I believe that the OS and hardware are terrific) is the lack of Google's apps. I'm sure that I'm not alone.
    12-31-2015 09:30 AM
    Microsoft's "Universal" strategy is about Microsoft taking their software to other OS platforms... not about getting software from those platforms to Microsoft's OSes.
    That's not true, while Microsoft put their apps on all platforms, the very idea of "Universal apps" is an app that works on any version of Windows 10, desktop and tablet, phone, xbox, Hololens. That's exactly what it means when you see "Universal" on an app in the Windows Store.
    Jazmac, a5cent and gcyoung like this.
    12-31-2015 10:13 AM

I thought I smelled feet. The point is, if universal works for the platform, it will attract the attention of those that develop software. OMG, how do you get this shallow?
    12-31-2015 02:38 PM

Technically achieving the ability to compete better + diminishing market share = even less reasons for Google to support anything Windows.
    Hard to discount the fact that the majority of how google stacks paper is on the desktop. They can run....
    12-31-2015 02:43 PM
    Hard to discount the fact that the majority of how google stacks paper is on the desktop. They can run....
    Sorry Jazmac. This is where my ability to correctly interpret foreign language analogies breaks down. Not sure what you are telling me 😓
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-31-2015 09:38 PM
    Sorry Jazmac. This is where my ability to correctly interpret foreign language analogies breaks down. Not sure what you are telling me 
    I don't understand this one either.
    12-31-2015 09:43 PM
    Oh, sorry. Sometimes my urban gets by me. Stacking paper. Means making money. :).
    Laura Knotek, a5cent and tgp like this.
    12-31-2015 10:07 PM
    Sorry Jazmac. This is where my ability to correctly interpret foreign language analogies breaks down. Not sure what you are telling me 😓
    Nothing wrong with your English. It is my native language, and yet...

I don't understand this one either.
    a5cent, Jazmac and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-31-2015 10:09 PM
    That's not true, while Microsoft put their apps on all platforms, the very idea of "Universal apps" is an app that works on any version of Windows 10, desktop and tablet, phone, xbox, Hololens. That's exactly what it means when you see "Universal" on an app in the Windows Store.
    Yes, I understand that but in the context of the discussion at hand (Google bringing apps to Windows Phone) it is not relevant.
    01-01-2016 08:35 AM
    I thought I smelled feet. The point is, if universal works for the platform, it will attract the attention of those that develop software. OMG, how do you get this shallow?
    It's not an issue of shallowness, but relevancy. How exactly will "if universal works for the platform" convince Google to port their apps over to Windows Phone? This thread is about Gapps is it not?
    01-01-2016 08:37 AM
    It's not an issue of shallowness, but relevancy. How exactly will "if universal works for the platform" convince Google to port their apps over to Windows Phone? This thread is about Gapps is it not?
    Below is the screenshot of comparative apps in Windows and Google. Mostly alternatives are available on Windows.
    screenshot_2016-01-01-23-05-43.jpgwp_ss_20160101_0001.jpg
    01-01-2016 09:23 AM
    Below is the screenshot of comparative apps in Windows and Google. Mostly alternatives are available on Windows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-01-01-23-05-43.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	119800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20160101_0001.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	119801
    Well, I thought the discussion was about Google porting their apps over to Windows Phone. No one is denying that some/all of Google's services are available in some alternative/equivalent form on Windows Phone. But as someone else previously pointed out, it isn't optimal or desirable. Those developers end up chasing Google and will lag behind any changes that Google makes to their apps/services (that require a comparable change to those 3rd party apps).

I understand that many on Windows Phone have lower expectations and lower standards either because of an affinity for Microsoft or "faith" in the platform. But those sentiments won't help grow Windows Phone marketshare... which is the only true motivator to attract developers. (which is the secondary issue in this thread)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-01-2016 11:07 AM
    No one has new information. But you can use Google maps in gmaps app. Google email in Outlook email. Google calendar in Calendar. Google contacts in the People app etc. Youtube in many great apps. Waze exists but is quite old.

So it's not like you don't get to use Google services, it's just not as slick as on Android.
    Some google services like email for businesses, where the IT blocked access for outlook.
    01-01-2016 03:01 PM
    Well, I thought the discussion was about Google porting their apps over to Windows Phone. No one is denying that some/all of Google's services are available in some alternative/equivalent form on Windows Phone. But as someone else previously pointed out, it isn't optimal or desirable. Those developers end up chasing Google and will lag behind any changes that Google makes to their apps/services (that require a comparable change to those 3rd party apps).

I understand that many on Windows Phone have lower expectations and lower standards either because of an affinity for Microsoft or "faith" in the platform. But those sentiments won't help grow Windows Phone marketshare... which is the only true motivator to attract developers. (which is the secondary issue in this thread)
    I do understand the discussion and the reason why I post the screenshots, is because Google doesn't want its services on Windows Phone. Although all of us want to see Google apps on Windows Phone, it is not going to happen in the nearest or farthest future. Understanding that fact, accepting that fact and moving on with the available apps will be best way.
    Zeem Frostmaw likes this.
    01-01-2016 04:43 PM
    Some google services like email for businesses, where the IT blocked access for outlook.
    Outlook is the best app for business / enterprise. I am surprised that the IT in your office blocks it. In our offices, IT blocks other services due to security threats.
    Allen Rhodes likes this.
    01-01-2016 04:45 PM
28 12