HERE MAPS vs Windows Maps

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Seems like people are confusing two things

1) Using the device in landscape mode or portrait mode and the maps rotating to fit;

2) Having the maps rotate or not to maintain track up or north up when navigating.

Would help if people made it clear which of these they were talking about.
thanks for your clarification. what I mean "windows maps can't automatically rotate according to the direction" is in the latter sense.

or, express in another way, by "rotate", I mean "rotate the phone while its screen is always facing the sky". in this case, the direction of the headphone port changes. windows maps will not rotate its content accordingly but here maps will do so. the "north" portion in here maps is always pointing to the north no matter how you rotate your phone (again, by "rotate", I mean "rotate the phone while its screen is always facing the sky").

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
You have to be actually moving (not just rotating / turning) for it to be able to work out which way is track up. Which is sometimes a problem if you are not sure which way is north when initially looking at the route and deciding if you need to go forward or backward from the way you are currently facing so you chance your arm and see if it recalculates or asks you to do a U-turn.

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
You have to be actually moving (not just rotating / turning) for it to be able to work out which way is track up.
Indeed, I'm pretty sure my MS Maps on my L950 always has my direction of motion faving forwards.

Which is sometimes a problem if you are not sure which way is north when initially looking at the route and deciding if you need to go forward or backward from the way you are currently facing so you chance your arm and see if it recalculates or asks you to do a U-turn.

Done that more than a few times! :smile:

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Everyone replied is probably native English speaker only
The biggest difference between Here and MS maps is the former supports almost any language for navigation guidance whilst the latter only English without even setting available for selection

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
You are still talking about different things, as of my understanding peter leung is talking about compass support in Here maps(not related to navigation or moving), with the app open and rotating the phone the map rotates accordingly to always maintain oriented view, sometimes it would ask to calibrate the compass before, this functionality allows you to turn around and find things nearby or using city lens
MS maps does not support this as it seems
When driving or walking both are maintaining "direction up" map orientation

SemperfiV12

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I loved HERE maps, and still do. But so far seems like Windows runs better power-wise. My battery life is improved (even when I have not even downloaded offline maps on Windows and use voice on loud, and on HERE offline maps were downloaded and voice muted!)

But the comment about language is understandable.

Also LOVE the fact that I can pull down for list view, something HERE Drive really needs.

There HERE family included transit, even though Windows Maps has the option I have not used it... so all I can say is I am more familiar with HERE transit.

But if this is a purely Drive vs Maps... I can say that I am using Maps and haven't felt the need to download Drive.

davidsunsbk

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Two big reasons that I like Here apps over Windows Maps:
For Here Drive, the button and UI are big enough so that I don't have trouble operating the app while driving. It feels like on a navigation and the instructions are clear. Windows maps doesn't provide such layout and the text fonts are so small. The instructions are sometimes confusing when it shows two parallel front-facing arrows and the right arrow is highlighted which actually means u need to go to the right lane and take the exit instead of staying on the same lane.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So I know now what others have mentioned about compass. The maps never shows what direction your facing which helps in deciding how to get to your route. It will help when the phone knows which direction your facing in order to start the directions going the way you're facing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss