The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-09-2016 10:59 AM
31 12
tools
    I have seen the recent news that HERE Maps is back for Windows 10 Mobile. I am troubled though with why this is a big deal. I understood Windows Maps licenses HERE Navigation Data so why would I want to use HERE Maps over Windows Maps?

I have used HERE Maps in the past and now am using Windows Maps. I haven't noticed anything that propels HERE Maps as any better than Windows Maps. The one big thing that I think Windows Maps has over HERE Maps is that it is one app rather than two.

What am I missing with HERE Maps?
    seventeenapg likes this.
    01-25-2016 05:59 PM
    Lol there are reasons... but if windows maps works best for you, then so be it :D
    01-25-2016 06:36 PM
    That is the whole point of this thread... to find the advantages of HERE maps. What are the reasons?
    Kevin Rush and enthuz like this.
    01-25-2016 10:42 PM
    Whilst MS Maps has alternative route options and it indicates on which side of the street the address is located, that's where the benefit ends for me. I prefer the Here products, even if they are split into two (Maps and Drive+).

MS Maps has no Drive option, ie, you have to input a destination. Sometimes I like to just see where I'm driving or what the road looks like ahead whilst getting an accurate GPS speed.

Whilst driving, the MS Maps current speed is half hidden under the road speed limit (on my L950), thus unusable.

Too much of the screen real estate is taken up with upcoming directions.

When searching for an address on MS Maps, the results does not include additional info, such as suburb. Quickly locating the correct address amongst the results is a chore and takes time, even though they are numbered. There is also no quick and easy method to click on an address and go straight to that location on the map, seems like you have to keep zooming in.

The MS Maps Live Tile has no address detail on the small tile.

"Navigating" around the app is cumbersome, I keep clicking the wrong thing whilst scrolling or trying to choose something. Example, trying to see whch route is which when there are a few to choose from. The actual map dissapears whilst giving detailed directions when all I wanted is to see which route takes which time, or it chooses that actual route, or the map disappears whilst I scroll down to view the verious alternative routes. Confusing, to me at least.

There are a couple of other small points in favour of MS Maps and Here, but these are the main ones for me. I don't use Here Commute and the underlaying maps are the same.
    Last edited by p51mustang; 01-26-2016 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Spelling!
    01-26-2016 02:12 AM
    here maps can automatically rotate according to your direction while windows maps cannot.
    DT_17, nitiniit and ven07 like this.
    01-26-2016 03:51 AM
    I actually favor Microsoft Map over HERE Map, especially it has built in navigation. I went to a trip in Turkey last year when I still use WP8.1, I downloaded offline map, and started to use HERE Map at beginning. Later on I found Microsoft Map works better to help me to navigate in cities.
    01-26-2016 07:22 AM
    The reason I use HERE maps on my PC and really need HERE maps on my Windows Phones is very simple: Windows Maps give TOTALLY WRONG directions. Giving accurate directions is sorta--you know--basic. What good is a great UI if I get sent to someone's apartment while trying to get to the train? This is despite dozens of reports and much feedback. Whaddup with that?!!
    01-26-2016 09:11 AM
    Maps vs Maps is largely a draw for me. I don't see any benefit of one over the other. They both do what I need and I haven't seen any disparity between wrong addresses and whatnot others have mentioned.

HERE Drive though, is much better turn by turn navigation imo.
    pbilk likes this.
    01-26-2016 10:01 AM
    Well,
    1. I have crap load of favorites on HERE.
    2. HERE has zoom buttons, handy in the car (save the schpeal.)
    01-26-2016 05:08 PM
    The other day HERE took me to the back side of a Cemetary, where i couldnt enter, had to get back on the freeway.

The reason I use HERE maps on my PC and really need HERE maps on my Windows Phones is very simple: Windows Maps give TOTALLY WRONG directions. Giving accurate directions is sorta--you know--basic. What good is a great UI if I get sent to someone's apartment while trying to get to the train? This is despite dozens of reports and much feedback. Whaddup with that?!!
    hippohumongous and Wadidiz like this.
    01-26-2016 05:09 PM
    I like HERE better because I find it more accurate and also the button is easier to see when you press "start" VS tiny "directions" in the MS map.
    hippohumongous likes this.
    01-26-2016 05:12 PM
    here maps can automatically rotate according to your direction while windows maps cannot.
    What do you mean, windows maps for me is always rotating so I'm driving 'Up'.

Using Windows Maps for a while now and I don't miss Here Maps except for my collections. I totally want the side of the street information which Here maps doesn't do.

I'm not sure how the speed is half hidden on a 950, my 950XL is fine.

Windows Maps gives lane information for upcoming intersections.

Last week, when here maps came alive, I couldn't find the address I needed to goto for work, but windows maps had it no problem even when I was looking for it the first time (weird same database)

Both Here maps and Windows Maps have sent me on weird routing at times.

I would like announced street names for Windows Maps like Here Drive does.

In the end, I find it a toss up really... Which one you like the look of more.
    pbilk likes this.
    01-26-2016 06:10 PM
    What do you mean, windows maps for me is always rotating so I'm driving 'Up'.

Using Windows Maps for a while now and I don't miss Here Maps except for my collections. I totally want the side of the street information which Here maps doesn't do.

I'm not sure how the speed is half hidden on a 950, my 950XL is fine.

Windows Maps gives lane information for upcoming intersections.

Last week, when here maps came alive, I couldn't find the address I needed to goto for work, but windows maps had it no problem even when I was looking for it the first time (weird same database)

Both Here maps and Windows Maps have sent me on weird routing at times.

I would like announced street names for Windows Maps like Here Drive does.

In the end, I find it a toss up really... Which one you like the look of more.
    just tried again, windows maps still can't automatically rotate according to the direction. the maps won't rotate as I rotate the phone. but for here maps, the maps rotate as I rotate the phone.
    01-26-2016 10:57 PM
    Isn't it depends on personal taste? I personally prefer Windows Map, Where my brother prefer HERE Maps. Its al about Personal taste.
    pbilk likes this.
    01-26-2016 11:00 PM
    just tried again, windows maps still can't automatically rotate according to the direction. the maps won't rotate as I rotate the phone. but for here maps, the maps rotate as I rotate the phone.
    Go check your rotate settings before complaining. Windows maps ofc does rotate automatically.
    pbilk and Player Piano like this.
    01-26-2016 11:42 PM
    Go check your rotate settings before complaining. Windows maps ofc does rotate automatically.
    would you please tell me where to find the rotate settings in windows maps? I can't make it rotate automatically.
    01-27-2016 12:10 AM
    Seems like people are confusing two things

1) Using the device in landscape mode or portrait mode and the maps rotating to fit;

2) Having the maps rotate or not to maintain track up or north up when navigating.

Would help if people made it clear which of these they were talking about.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    01-27-2016 05:34 AM
    Two things I hated about Here: once nav starts there is no way to see the direction list, and the hand-off between ms maps and here would sometimes give me a different route than I expected. I'm much happier with ms now.
    01-27-2016 06:14 AM
    Here maps pros over windows map

Support compass, it rotate the maps automatically according phone header direction..

Support live sight, just like how here city lens work

Support building map, in my country, Indonesia, there are several city mall or large building which support inside building map

Support two finger zoom and rotate

windows map pros over here maps

Natively support navigation
    01-27-2016 06:26 AM
    I could not either. Had to use WAZE while I had the XL. 1020 W/8.1
    01-27-2016 08:35 AM
    Seems like people are confusing two things

1) Using the device in landscape mode or portrait mode and the maps rotating to fit;

2) Having the maps rotate or not to maintain track up or north up when navigating.

Would help if people made it clear which of these they were talking about.
    thanks for your clarification. what I mean "windows maps can't automatically rotate according to the direction" is in the latter sense.

or, express in another way, by "rotate", I mean "rotate the phone while its screen is always facing the sky". in this case, the direction of the headphone port changes. windows maps will not rotate its content accordingly but here maps will do so. the "north" portion in here maps is always pointing to the north no matter how you rotate your phone (again, by "rotate", I mean "rotate the phone while its screen is always facing the sky").
    01-27-2016 09:06 AM
    You have to be actually moving (not just rotating / turning) for it to be able to work out which way is track up. Which is sometimes a problem if you are not sure which way is north when initially looking at the route and deciding if you need to go forward or backward from the way you are currently facing so you chance your arm and see if it recalculates or asks you to do a U-turn.
    01-27-2016 09:32 AM
    You have to be actually moving (not just rotating / turning) for it to be able to work out which way is track up.
    Indeed, I'm pretty sure my MS Maps on my L950 always has my direction of motion faving forwards.

Which is sometimes a problem if you are not sure which way is north when initially looking at the route and deciding if you need to go forward or backward from the way you are currently facing so you chance your arm and see if it recalculates or asks you to do a U-turn.
    Done that more than a few times!
    01-27-2016 09:40 AM
    Everyone replied is probably native English speaker only
    The biggest difference between Here and MS maps is the former supports almost any language for navigation guidance whilst the latter only English without even setting available for selection
    01-27-2016 10:22 AM
    You are still talking about different things, as of my understanding peter leung is talking about compass support in Here maps(not related to navigation or moving), with the app open and rotating the phone the map rotates accordingly to always maintain oriented view, sometimes it would ask to calibrate the compass before, this functionality allows you to turn around and find things nearby or using city lens
    MS maps does not support this as it seems
    When driving or walking both are maintaining "direction up" map orientation
    01-27-2016 10:39 AM
31 12