HERE MAPS vs Windows Maps

Jordan Rieck

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I have seen the recent news that HERE Maps is back for Windows 10 Mobile. I am troubled though with why this is a big deal. I understood Windows Maps licenses HERE Navigation Data so why would I want to use HERE Maps over Windows Maps?

I have used HERE Maps in the past and now am using Windows Maps. I haven't noticed anything that propels HERE Maps as any better than Windows Maps. The one big thing that I think Windows Maps has over HERE Maps is that it is one app rather than two.

What am I missing with HERE Maps?

p51mustang

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Whilst MS Maps has alternative route options and it indicates on which side of the street the address is located, that's where the benefit ends for me. I prefer the Here products, even if they are split into two (Maps and Drive+).

MS Maps has no Drive option, ie, you have to input a destination. Sometimes I like to just see where I'm driving or what the road looks like ahead whilst getting an accurate GPS speed.

Whilst driving, the MS Maps current speed is half hidden under the road speed limit (on my L950), thus unusable.

Too much of the screen real estate is taken up with upcoming directions.

When searching for an address on MS Maps, the results does not include additional info, such as suburb. Quickly locating the correct address amongst the results is a chore and takes time, even though they are numbered. There is also no quick and easy method to click on an address and go straight to that location on the map, seems like you have to keep zooming in.

The MS Maps Live Tile has no address detail on the small tile.

"Navigating" around the app is cumbersome, I keep clicking the wrong thing whilst scrolling or trying to choose something. Example, trying to see whch route is which when there are a few to choose from. The actual map dissapears whilst giving detailed directions when all I wanted is to see which route takes which time, or it chooses that actual route, or the map disappears whilst I scroll down to view the verious alternative routes. Confusing, to me at least.

There are a couple of other small points in favour of MS Maps and Here, but these are the main ones for me. I don't use Here Commute and the underlaying maps are the same.

Last edited:

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually favor Microsoft Map over HERE Map, especially it has built in navigation. I went to a trip in Turkey last year when I still use WP8.1, I downloaded offline map, and started to use HERE Map at beginning. Later on I found Microsoft Map works better to help me to navigate in cities.

Wadidiz

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The reason I use HERE maps on my PC and really need HERE maps on my Windows Phones is very simple: Windows Maps give TOTALLY WRONG directions. Giving accurate directions is sorta--you know--basic. What good is a great UI if I get sent to someone's apartment while trying to get to the train? This is despite dozens of reports and much feedback. Whaddup with that?!!

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Maps vs Maps is largely a draw for me. I don't see any benefit of one over the other. They both do what I need and I haven't seen any disparity between wrong addresses and whatnot others have mentioned.

HERE Drive though, is much better turn by turn navigation imo.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The other day HERE took me to the back side of a Cemetary, where i couldnt enter, had to get back on the freeway.

The reason I use HERE maps on my PC and really need HERE maps on my Windows Phones is very simple: Windows Maps give TOTALLY WRONG directions. Giving accurate directions is sorta--you know--basic. What good is a great UI if I get sent to someone's apartment while trying to get to the train? This is despite dozens of reports and much feedback. Whaddup with that?!!

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I like HERE better because I find it more accurate and also the button is easier to see when you press "start" VS tiny "directions" in the MS map.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
here maps can automatically rotate according to your direction while windows maps cannot.

What do you mean, windows maps for me is always rotating so I'm driving 'Up'.

Using Windows Maps for a while now and I don't miss Here Maps except for my collections. I totally want the side of the street information which Here maps doesn't do.

I'm not sure how the speed is half hidden on a 950, my 950XL is fine.

Windows Maps gives lane information for upcoming intersections.

Last week, when here maps came alive, I couldn't find the address I needed to goto for work, but windows maps had it no problem even when I was looking for it the first time (weird same database)

Both Here maps and Windows Maps have sent me on weird routing at times.

I would like announced street names for Windows Maps like Here Drive does.

In the end, I find it a toss up really... Which one you like the look of more.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean, windows maps for me is always rotating so I'm driving 'Up'.

Using Windows Maps for a while now and I don't miss Here Maps except for my collections. I totally want the side of the street information which Here maps doesn't do.

I'm not sure how the speed is half hidden on a 950, my 950XL is fine.

Windows Maps gives lane information for upcoming intersections.

Last week, when here maps came alive, I couldn't find the address I needed to goto for work, but windows maps had it no problem even when I was looking for it the first time (weird same database)

Both Here maps and Windows Maps have sent me on weird routing at times.

I would like announced street names for Windows Maps like Here Drive does.

In the end, I find it a toss up really... Which one you like the look of more.
just tried again, windows maps still can't automatically rotate according to the direction. the maps won't rotate as I rotate the phone. but for here maps, the maps rotate as I rotate the phone.

DT_17

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Isn't it depends on personal taste? I personally prefer Windows Map, Where my brother prefer HERE Maps. Its al about Personal taste.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Seems like people are confusing two things

1) Using the device in landscape mode or portrait mode and the maps rotating to fit;

2) Having the maps rotate or not to maintain track up or north up when navigating.

Would help if people made it clear which of these they were talking about.

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Two things I hated about Here: once nav starts there is no way to see the direction list, and the hand-off between ms maps and here would sometimes give me a different route than I expected. I'm much happier with ms now.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
Here maps pros over windows map

Support compass, it rotate the maps automatically according phone header direction..

Support live sight, just like how here city lens work

Support building map, in my country, Indonesia, there are several city mall or large building which support inside building map

Support two finger zoom and rotate

windows map pros over here maps

Natively support navigation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire