Camera app recommendations?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks. The MS camera app for W10 does not have great functionality. They have finally put in a reliable rich capture function (you turn it on and it now comes on, instead of simply 'considering your application' for an HDR photo as it did previously) I am told (not for me yet) but there is no 4K vid support and no 5.1 vid sound. That means the new MS camera app can only use a quarter of the resolution and a third of the audio channels available for video recording. So, a bit of a duffer of an app really. Since the Lumia Camera version has been blocked from W10 (I know, right? Actually blocked with a big MS sign saying something along the lines of 'Bog off, sonny Jim!' if you try to install it), could you recommend a good 3rd party camera app from the load available in the store? It must support 4K res and 5.1 sound in vids and must have proper rich capture capabilities. Living Image support would also be a boon. Let me know your favourites below. Ta chums!

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What phone do you have?

I'm using 1520...

Anyhow, I like Camera360 Sight for fast, reliable, auto-everything High Res jpg. Quick launch and quick shot to shot rapid fire even at 16:9 and 16MP.

I like ProShot for super fine manual control. The HDR mode isn't a filter. It's real merge on the phone HDR and you have fine control over the +/- ev. Choose 2 or 3 shots in the bracket. 2 custom modes can be preset and saved in the App. Flesh out a programed mode and pin it to start. Takes High Res jpg.

For what you want in Video, I'm afraid I don't know the answer as I've not used video much. Neither of my photography recommends has Video capture.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Originally posted by RumoredNow
What phone do you have?

I'm using 1520...

Anyhow, I like Camera360 Sight for fast, reliable, auto-everything High Res jpg. Quick launch and quick shot to shot rapid fire even at 16:9 and 16MP.

I like ProShot for super fine manual control. The HDR mode isn't a filter. It's real merge on the phone HDR and you have fine control over the +/- ev. Choose 2 or 3 shots in the bracket. 2 custom modes can be preset and saved in the App. Flesh out a programed mode and pin it to start. Takes High Res jpg.

For what you want in Video, I'm afraid I don't know the answer as I've not used video much. Neither of my photography recommends has Video capture.

Using a 930 (came back from the shop on the day W10 was released for it, with mics all fixed as they failed on me at exactly the right moment, St Clive Sinclair must have been watching over me). I would have used my 820 for W10 which doesn't have the need to support a more advanced feature set so suits the in-development nature of W10 best and kept my 930 on 8.1 but it looks like MS thinks I should use W10 on my 930 whilst they fanny around with it. Seems the wrong way round to me, but that's the only realistic way I can run both OSs without buying another phone.

Ah, well thanks for the recommendations. The video was kind of my focus here as, once the HDR update comes through, the Windows app does still photos OK for me as I have a decent compact super zoom camera for stills that I use for anything other than quick snaps. The video side is so basic though, giving me a fraction of the audio and video detail the Nokia app could access due to MS 'improvements'. I do use that a fair bit and want to get 5.1 audio back before I use it on my fast moving little nephews where surround sound is pretty nice. I would not mind a separate 3rd party video app (so long as it is fully functional) leaving photos to the basic MS app. Any community hints on the best to choose that supports Lumia features fully (5.1 audio & 4K video) would be grand. Picking imaging software is so time consuming, with all the comparing, it really helps to tap the community experience.

Thanks for the input, it is all good to know. I may investigate photo improvements next.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Using a 930

I had a feeling it was either 1520 or 930...

I'm on 10 official, so 10586.164. My Camera App is 2016.128.141.0. I can't seem to get today's update.

My settings give me Video 3840x2160p/30 fps. I have the "Turtle" option. I have no audio options in Camera.

I'm sorry I'm not in a position ATM to test the audio capture right now.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Ha! Yes, the extra resolutions are now showing. When I first tested it, the box was not scrolling further upwards. Mind you, it could be that the selection box was just not scrolling properly, now I think about it, as I was looking through the options rather than using it straight after install. This was after the initial upgrade install, before the factory reset. I was trying to compare it to the already installed Lumia app before the reset, but I now realise the foolishness of my thinking. I'm still not getting surround sound options even now, and all my mics tested as 100% working with the Lumia test utility on the PC upon return from the MS phone pixies. I see almost no reference to L930 sound recording in Bing other than mic issues so no-one else seems to be missing the 5.1 audio but I rather liked it. Hope I can find an alternative, or could it be that another hard reset is in order to get the option to show? Or perhaps the MS phone pixies are playing a bit of a game with me, and their rears will be needing a visit from Mr Boot?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)