05-13-2016 11:16 AM
29 12
tools
    I don't code the things so I'll have to defer to a dev that does.

From what I've read though, you are viewing it as more complicated than it is. I agree there is some effort, but not the herculean task that you make it to be of coding over and over again for each device inside a form factor.
    05-09-2016 06:10 PM
    I don't code the things so I'll have to defer to a dev that does.

From what I've read though, you are viewing it as more complicated than it is. I agree there is some effort, but not the herculean task that you make it to be of coding over and over again for each device inside a form factor.
    I think you misunderstand my point. I don't think it is a herculean task to code for different devices. I am not even looking at it from the coding aspect. I'm actually just thinking about it from the design aspect. The more devices you have to code for, the more difficult it is to ensure the same experience. I'm also not not saying it's impossible or won't help at all. Just that having a reasonable expectation would make more sense. I think I'm a bit jaded by Joe Belfiore talking about how Windows 8.1 was going to fix the app problem because it would be so easy to share code between pc and phone. I do know there are some differences, but it all sounds too similar to me.
    05-09-2016 10:18 PM
    If the app appears as a UWP, that means it has access to 90% of the computer-owning world. I'd say that's a healthy user base to cull.
    Currently Windows 10 and Windows 8 are less than 1/4 of the global desktop OS share.

As Windows 10 grows, the potential of UWP becomes even stronger.

But we need to take into account how many users of Windows 10 have the habit of using apps?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-11-2016 11:01 AM
    Currently Windows 10 and Windows 8 are less than 1/4 of the global desktop OS share.

As Windows 10 grows, the potential of UWP becomes even stronger.

But we need to take into account how many users of Windows 10 have the habit of using apps?
    Actually 10 and UWP are winning me over to Apps on desktop way more than 8/8.1 ever did.

A good example is the puzzle game Prune. I like picking it up where I left off on PC, Tablet, Phone. Works across W10, W10M, RT 8.1, WP8.1... Another pair (and probably my entry point into converting to App on Desktop) is Skype and OneNote. News is good, Health Vault, Maps, etc. The core Apps are pushing me in this direction and 3rd party Apps like Knock Knock, Bamboo and ISeeVM just cement the deal.

Back to Geocaching though. I recently updated both my handsets to 10586.318. The 1520 is on Official at that version and my 640 has it through Insider Release Ring. After the update I switched over to driving my 640 again for the fun of it. While Geocaching Pro has no issues on 1520, the same OS build on 640 leaves it unable to sign in or view cache details. Either of those screens just go all black and become useless. Was not able to solve it through Soft Reset, uninstall/reinstall and other tricks.

Testing out maaloo now on the 640.

I also note that there is a Geocaching Pro 2016 App for PC from the same publisher as Geocaching Pro on phone and it is not UWP. Maybe it will become a UWP App soon?
    05-13-2016 11:16 AM
29 12