Looks like another Windows App Jumping Ship!

iamthestig01

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Looks like another Windows App Jumping Ship !!

I received this Email today from Geocaching HQ, to say I am disappointed does not cover it !!

"On June 6, 2016, we will end our support for the Geocaching Live app for Windows Phone. When this happens, the app will no longer function.

Parting ways with a product that we built and many of you enjoy is not an easy thing. The decision to retire this app was based on its current usage compared to the ongoing resources required to maintain it. You can continue to play the game on your Windows Phone by using one of the partner applications we support. Search for "geocaching" in the Windows App Store to find an alternative app.

To apologize for any inconvenience this may cause

Sincerely,

Geocaching HQ

Why are so many big names giving up on Windows Phone ? I know that they state its down to currant usage. I thought Microsoft were trying to attract Big names to Windows Store not lose them !!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Looks like another Windows App Jumping Ship !!

I received this Email today from Geocaching HQ, to say I am disappointed does not cover it !!

"On June 6, 2016, we will end our support for the Geocaching Live app for Windows Phone. When this happens, the app will no longer function.

Parting ways with a product that we built and many of you enjoy is not an easy thing. The decision to retire this app was based on its current usage compared to the ongoing resources required to maintain it. You can continue to play the game on your Windows Phone by using one of the partner applications we support. Search for "geocaching" in the Windows App Store to find an alternative app.

Sincerely,

Geocaching HQ

Why are so many big names giving up on Windows Phone ? I know that they state its down to currant usage. I thought Microsoft were trying to attract Big names to Windows Store not lose them !!

how big is geocaching? I've not heard of it :straight:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

how big is geocaching? I've not heard of it :straight:

It's pretty popular. It's a fun activity that you can do alone or with a group. I think it's something that only became popular in recent years.

The video is just some of my favorite YouTubers doing it, but basically it's kind of like hide and seek in a cool way. You hide a geocache, and make a clue for the next person to find it. When you find it, you add your name to the list of people who also found it. It's a great way to explore a city because you are really searching for these geocaches. Additionally, it's very possible to meet new people because you could also run into people who are also geocaching.

This is awful news! The one thing I loved about them is that they supported Windows Phone. :( I haven't had a chance to do it myself but I would love to do it.

anon(5340442)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I got the email too. It is disappointing, but there are other options. While I used Geocaching Live most of the time, I also have Geocaching Pro installed. Works well, but I liked the list view in Live.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This activity comes across my radar occasionally and it looks like fun. I may try it one day.

Sorry the official app is getting pulled though. :(

...and just signed up at geocaching.com...Quite honestly this may motivate me for more exercise. :)

Purchased Geocaching Pro App from store.

There are well over 1,000 geocaches near me right now. I foresee and afternoon walk on my agenda today.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

There are well over 1,000 geocaches near me right now. I foresee and afternoon walk on my agenda today.

There are some geocaches around where I live too. I've never done it, but one of my colleagues does. He enjoys it.

I should start doing it too. My job pretty much involves sitting at my desk. I do occasionally exercise by getting up out of my chair to refill my coffee cup. :amaze:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I think their argument against supporting the app is honest. I think we often underestimate how much resources go into making an app. Geocaching is really a mobile only experience (no reason for developing an Xbox or PC version). So you are left with a couple million (maybe 6 million in the US?) Windows Phone Users to use the app. If 1% use this app, then you get 60,000 users. If revenues per user are $1/user/year, then you make $60,000. Sounds like a lot until you pay taxes and hire a programmer to update the app all year round.

I know all those numbers are made up. If you have better numbers feel free to put them in the conversation.

On a similar note, I wonder what the number of users a mobile system has to have to make a big brand/moderate brand/small brand viable? Like Netflix seems to develop an app for every device, same with Facebook (even if they put less effort into some of them). What is the number of users it takes to make it fiscally make sense for a company like GoPro to develop for a platform?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I also signed up and I am really surprised that there are geocaches in Nairobi. I thought this would be a first world thing :grin:

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So... Another company is ending support for Windows Phone?

Like all the others, they will return in a couple of months with a Universal App no doubt!!!!

prasanna moholkar

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site

First
Here app remove support for windows 10 mobile and now this app
Looks like Microsoft strategy for UWP app getting fail.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Sincerely,

Geocaching HQ

I don't want to sound like a na?ve optimistic but it wouldn't be the first time a companu pulled its Windows Phone app only to come back with a UWP app (Bank of America for example).

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

First
Here app remove support for windows 10 mobile and now this app
Looks like Microsoft strategy for UWP app getting fail.

You must not be following how many UWP have been announced. The ratio of UWP to apps leaving WP is heavily in UWP's favor. In fact, it wouldn't shock me in the least bit if this Geocoaching app (which I hadn't heard of til now) returned as a UWP.

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site

What would be the point of a UWP though? As carcgor pointed out, this is a mobile-only service. Extra desktop users aren't going to help them justify development costs.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
This looks an interesting activity. I have heard of the company but I did not know that they had a Windows Phone app. Sorry to hear about this.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

What would be the point of a UWP though? As carcgor pointed out, this is a mobile-only service. Extra desktop users aren't going to help them justify development costs.

Well don't forget that UWP means tablets as well. Geocaching with a tablet is absolutely feasible and if they make iOS and Android versions, they could decide to go after those who have a Windows tablet.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

You must not be following how many UWP have been announced. The ratio of UWP to apps leaving WP is heavily in UWP's favor. In fact, it wouldn't shock me in the least bit if this Geocoaching app (which I hadn't heard of til now) returned as a UWP.

The number of UWP apps increasing is nice. But for the health of the mobile ecosystem the number of new apps and the number of apps improving on Windows Phone is all that matters. The success of the platform is really founded on UWP bringing new apps to mobile that previously did not exist (ala Bank of America). Having a badly written Kindle App replaced with a badly written UWP Kindle App will not help. Nor will having a well written NPR One App replaced by a well written UWP NPR One App. The growth of the platform depends on engaging the unengaged developers.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Having just started this hobby, I can say absolutely that a UWP App would be welcome.

There is updating, maintaining and reviewing to do on PC and as dlalonde mentions tablets would also be field appropriate alongside a phone. Especially with a cellular data enabled tablet.

Many players seem to be geocaching while on long roadtrips. That means they take phones and/or tablets and or laptops and/or 2-in-1 devices. That's a lot of screen choices to cover and that is the strength of a well done UWP, covering every screen.

BTW, visiting the in-laws. Made a quick grab last night. My first in a town other than my own and the first cache my wife went with me on (so new convert). Probably grab one or two more on the way back home.

Tom Westrick

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site

Well don't forget that UWP means tablets as well. Geocaching with a tablet is absolutely feasible and if they make iOS and Android versions, they could decide to go after those who have a Windows tablet.

I understand that, believe me. The question is: is it enough users for them to justify costs? We'll see if they change their mind.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire