05-13-2016 11:16 AM
29 12
tools
    I received this Email today from Geocaching HQ, to say I am disappointed does not cover it !!

"On June 6, 2016, we will end our support for the Geocaching Live app for Windows Phone. When this happens, the app will no longer function.

Parting ways with a product that we built and many of you enjoy is not an easy thing. The decision to retire this app was based on its current usage compared to the ongoing resources required to maintain it. You can continue to play the game on your Windows Phone by using one of the partner applications we support. Search for "geocaching" in the Windows App Store to find an alternative app.

To apologize for any inconvenience this may cause

Sincerely,

Geocaching HQ

Why are so many big names giving up on Windows Phone ? I know that they state its down to currant usage. I thought Microsoft were trying to attract Big names to Windows Store not lose them !!
    05-06-2016 05:58 AM
    I received this Email today from Geocaching HQ, to say I am disappointed does not cover it !!

"On June 6, 2016, we will end our support for the Geocaching Live app for Windows Phone. When this happens, the app will no longer function.

Parting ways with a product that we built and many of you enjoy is not an easy thing. The decision to retire this app was based on its current usage compared to the ongoing resources required to maintain it. You can continue to play the game on your Windows Phone by using one of the partner applications we support. Search for "geocaching" in the Windows App Store to find an alternative app.

Sincerely,

Geocaching HQ

Why are so many big names giving up on Windows Phone ? I know that they state its down to currant usage. I thought Microsoft were trying to attract Big names to Windows Store not lose them !!
    how big is geocaching? I've not heard of it
    associatedpress likes this.
    05-06-2016 07:03 AM
    how big is geocaching? I've not heard of it
    It's pretty popular. It's a fun activity that you can do alone or with a group. I think it's something that only became popular in recent years.

The video is just some of my favorite YouTubers doing it, but basically it's kind of like hide and seek in a cool way. You hide a geocache, and make a clue for the next person to find it. When you find it, you add your name to the list of people who also found it. It's a great way to explore a city because you are really searching for these geocaches. Additionally, it's very possible to meet new people because you could also run into people who are also geocaching.

This is awful news! The one thing I loved about them is that they supported Windows Phone. :( I haven't had a chance to do it myself but I would love to do it.
    05-06-2016 07:41 AM
    I got the email too. It is disappointing, but there are other options. While I used Geocaching Live most of the time, I also have Geocaching Pro installed. Works well, but I liked the list view in Live.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-06-2016 08:16 AM
    This activity comes across my radar occasionally and it looks like fun. I may try it one day.

Sorry the official app is getting pulled though. :(

...and just signed up at geocaching.com...Quite honestly this may motivate me for more exercise. :)

Purchased Geocaching Pro App from store.

There are well over 1,000 geocaches near me right now. I foresee and afternoon walk on my agenda today.
    libra89, tgp, Laura Knotek and 2 others like this.
    05-06-2016 11:54 AM
    There are well over 1,000 geocaches near me right now. I foresee and afternoon walk on my agenda today.
    There are some geocaches around where I live too. I've never done it, but one of my colleagues does. He enjoys it.

I should start doing it too. My job pretty much involves sitting at my desk. I do occasionally exercise by getting up out of my chair to refill my coffee cup.
    05-06-2016 01:51 PM
    I think their argument against supporting the app is honest. I think we often underestimate how much resources go into making an app. Geocaching is really a mobile only experience (no reason for developing an Xbox or PC version). So you are left with a couple million (maybe 6 million in the US?) Windows Phone Users to use the app. If 1% use this app, then you get 60,000 users. If revenues per user are $1/user/year, then you make $60,000. Sounds like a lot until you pay taxes and hire a programmer to update the app all year round.

I know all those numbers are made up. If you have better numbers feel free to put them in the conversation.

On a similar note, I wonder what the number of users a mobile system has to have to make a big brand/moderate brand/small brand viable? Like Netflix seems to develop an app for every device, same with Facebook (even if they put less effort into some of them). What is the number of users it takes to make it fiscally make sense for a company like GoPro to develop for a platform?
    iamthestig01, a5cent, tgp and 2 others like this.
    05-06-2016 02:00 PM
    Went out this afternoon and walked my neighborhood. Found 2 out of the 3 Geocaches I had set my sites on.

05-06-2016 11:12 PM
    I also signed up and I am really surprised that there are geocaches in Nairobi. I thought this would be a first world thing
    05-07-2016 12:28 AM
    So... Another company is ending support for Windows Phone?

Like all the others, they will return in a couple of months with a Universal App no doubt!!!!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-07-2016 09:04 AM
    05-07-2016 10:56 AM
    First
    Here app remove support for windows 10 mobile and now this app
    Looks like Microsoft strategy for UWP app getting fail.
    05-07-2016 11:02 AM

Sincerely,

Geocaching HQ

I don't want to sound like a nave optimistic but it wouldn't be the first time a companu pulled its Windows Phone app only to come back with a UWP app (Bank of America for example).
    Geddeeee and RumoredNow like this.
    05-07-2016 12:18 PM
    First
    Here app remove support for windows 10 mobile and now this app
    Looks like Microsoft strategy for UWP app getting fail.
    You must not be following how many UWP have been announced. The ratio of UWP to apps leaving WP is heavily in UWP's favor. In fact, it wouldn't shock me in the least bit if this Geocoaching app (which I hadn't heard of til now) returned as a UWP.
    05-08-2016 12:02 AM
    What would be the point of a UWP though? As carcgor pointed out, this is a mobile-only service. Extra desktop users aren't going to help them justify development costs.
    libra89 likes this.
    05-08-2016 12:45 AM
    This looks an interesting activity. I have heard of the company but I did not know that they had a Windows Phone app. Sorry to hear about this.
    05-08-2016 02:24 AM
    What would be the point of a UWP though? As carcgor pointed out, this is a mobile-only service. Extra desktop users aren't going to help them justify development costs.
    Well don't forget that UWP means tablets as well. Geocaching with a tablet is absolutely feasible and if they make iOS and Android versions, they could decide to go after those who have a Windows tablet.
    Laura Knotek and RumoredNow like this.
    05-08-2016 07:54 AM
    You must not be following how many UWP have been announced. The ratio of UWP to apps leaving WP is heavily in UWP's favor. In fact, it wouldn't shock me in the least bit if this Geocoaching app (which I hadn't heard of til now) returned as a UWP.
    The number of UWP apps increasing is nice. But for the health of the mobile ecosystem the number of new apps and the number of apps improving on Windows Phone is all that matters. The success of the platform is really founded on UWP bringing new apps to mobile that previously did not exist (ala Bank of America). Having a badly written Kindle App replaced with a badly written UWP Kindle App will not help. Nor will having a well written NPR One App replaced by a well written UWP NPR One App. The growth of the platform depends on engaging the unengaged developers.
    05-08-2016 09:19 AM
    Having just started this hobby, I can say absolutely that a UWP App would be welcome.

There is updating, maintaining and reviewing to do on PC and as dlalonde mentions tablets would also be field appropriate alongside a phone. Especially with a cellular data enabled tablet.

Many players seem to be geocaching while on long roadtrips. That means they take phones and/or tablets and or laptops and/or 2-in-1 devices. That's a lot of screen choices to cover and that is the strength of a well done UWP, covering every screen.

BTW, visiting the in-laws. Made a quick grab last night. My first in a town other than my own and the first cache my wife went with me on (so new convert). Probably grab one or two more on the way back home.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    05-08-2016 10:42 AM
    Well don't forget that UWP means tablets as well. Geocaching with a tablet is absolutely feasible and if they make iOS and Android versions, they could decide to go after those who have a Windows tablet.
    I understand that, believe me. The question is: is it enough users for them to justify costs? We'll see if they change their mind.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    05-08-2016 12:06 PM
    I understand that, believe me. The question is: is it enough users for them to justify costs? We'll see if they change their mind.

If the app appears as a UWP, that means it has access to 90% of the computer-owning world. I'd say that's a healthy user base to cull.
    05-08-2016 12:30 PM

And then you have to code the software for many different types of hardware. Like my surface is a tablet, but has no cellular data or gps. If I had a tablet with cellular data, but no gps that would be something that would give worse coordinates. Like would you want to use Waze on cellular signal? I would bet not. Imagine all the bad reviews of an app you would have to deal with just because the hardware doesn't work right.

That is really why Apple has the developers in their pockets. Developers on that platform may not have a universal app, but they also only have to design for the iphone and the ipad. That seems like a much easier task to me than one piece of software that will scale and work with my 40" gaming desktop with a trackball, my Wacom Cintiq touch screen desktop with pen input, my surface pro, my ultrabook with a small trackpad and no touchscreen, my small tablet, my phone, my watch, my xbox, and my hololens.

Each of those devices has a different input method, a different size screen, a different screen resolution, a different viewing distance, different sensors, different types of internet connectivity. I'm not saying it is impossible or that UWP doesn't help. I'm just saying that if you want to have a really nice app, you still have to make it look right on all of the different platforms and behave in a way that will work for each.

If in 2016 it is difficult to write a webpage that displays correctly in every browser, I don't know how you can make an app that will display optimally on every device. The key is device optimization. To me this is different from just making it work on different devices. That was partly what made Windows 8 apps fail. Someone would install an app on their computer, it went full screen and then they couldn't navigate easily with a mouse and keyboard since the app was for touchscreens.

I think there is still the same problem for developers. Is it worth the energy to make an app for several different platforms? UWP definitely reduces the work. But it still requires more work, money, and resources than not making the app. If that equals more than the cost to develop an app or port it to another platform, it is not worth it.

90% of the world's desktop computers probably add less than you think. How many of those are sitting in hospitals and office buildings and are just being updated from WXP to W7? None of those computers are ever going to have Facebook, SnapChat, or Twitter. Even assuming 90% of the computers in the world all were going to be able to install the app, how many of those computers have the ability to take a picture, geocach, detect motion, detect acceleration, etc?
    05-08-2016 10:15 PM
    maaloo geocaching app has always been better than the official app anyway. Did you also realise that WindowsPhone was the only platform for which the official app was free?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    05-09-2016 02:29 AM
    I think there is still the same problem for developers. Is it worth the energy to make an app for several different platforms? UWP definitely reduces the work. But it still requires more work, money, and resources than not making the app. If that equals more than the cost to develop an app or port it to another platform, it is not worth it.
    Microsoft has built tools to streamline and automate much of the scaling and UI code. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/win...or=-2147217396
    05-09-2016 10:46 AM
    Microsoft has built tools to streamline and automate much of the scaling and UI code. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/win...or=-2147217396
    I'm not disagreeing that it is easier to code for multiple platforms with UWP. Even if it takes 1-2 days to optimize the code for a second or third device (instead of writing ground up). It still takes more than 0 seconds. The upkeep for the project is also more than 0 seconds.

To me it is just the economics. Will it cost more to develop the app (even if it takes a paltry 24 hours of time annually to create and maintain an app) than the app will produce in revenue? Are there other things a developer could do that would be more profitable than developing across the UWP spectrum? Even excluding questions of the longterm plans of Microsoft. If they cannot make a profit, they will not develop. If they can make a better profit doing something else, they will not develop. This is just my opinion of why developers leave a platform.

The confusing part of the UWP app Hail Mary is while it works for some types of apps, it does not work for all because of the wide variability to design for. Not all apps make sense on all devices because of hardware limitations.

Even if you wanted to develop for every Apple Tablet, Phone and iPod Touch you would have 12 tablets, 13 phones, and 6 iPods to develop for. If you wanted to develop for every Windows Mobile 10 device listed on Wikipedia, you'd have to develop for 26 devices. Imagine coding for every Windows Phone every (since 2007)...or just coding for all 37 Lumia phones since November 2011.
    05-09-2016 03:05 PM
29 12