Windows Phone Facebook messenger Not Syncing/Downloading new messages

Gecinyuszi

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey,
I have Lumia 950 with lates update and lately (in the past few days) Facebook Messenger (chat) is having issues with syncing new messages menaing, i just don't receive them on the phone, when opening the app, but on the desktop/web i can perfectly see the messages from my contacts.
There is no error message and no matter how many times i click the refresh it just wont sync in new messages. Restarting the device does not work. And it seems that Push messages arrive just fine, but when i open the app i only see the conversation 3 days ago.
The only way i could solve the issue is to Delete the app and reinstall, that solved it. But it's pretty annoying to do that every 2 days (i have done it 3 times).
Whats up with this ? anyone experiencing the same issue ?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
I have Lumia 950 with lates update and lately (in the past few days) Facebook Messenger (chat) is having issues with syncing new messages menaing, i just don't receive them on the phone, when opening the app, but on the desktop/web i can perfectly see the messages from my contacts.
There is no error message and no matter how many times i click the refresh it just wont sync in new messages. Restarting the device does not work. And it seems that Push messages arrive just fine, but when i open the app i only see the conversation 3 days ago.
The only way i could solve the issue is to Delete the app and reinstall, that solved it. But it's pretty annoying to do that every 2 days (i have done it 3 times).
Whats up with this ? anyone experiencing the same issue ?

I don't have the app but what kind of settings exist in the app? Anything related to syncing frequency or network selection? And does this happen regardless of what cellular connection or wifi point you use?

MolecularAnt

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue, it started some time last week, before that it always worked fine, never missed a message. I've also deleted and reinstalled the app numerous times, even reset my phone to factory settings, but those are all temporary solutions, it's still happening. (Lumia 640XL)

Gecinyuszi

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't have the app but what kind of settings exist in the app? Anything related to syncing frequency or network selection? And does this happen regardless of what cellular connection or wifi point you use?

Hey Chintan, there are not much settings to be honest, most of them are related to app vibration and such. The only thing is the "synchronize the names" which only refers to your contacts. (i have attached an example picture for reference below, taken from the internet - since my version is Hungarian and you wont understand a thing :D ) There is also no difference at all regarding Wi-fi or 4G it just won't download new messages simply as that and this happens random. The only thing to do is to delete the app. (on Windows Phone there is no was to clear app cache as well, only resetting the phone to factory settings, but i doubt that would solve and also it is a no go to reset every time just for the god damned Messenger app)FB-Messenger-WP8-Settings.jpg

Gecinyuszi

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I think problem extends to the Facebook timeline too.

Also is there a way to auto play videos on timeline??

Hey RayaanP, why do you think it is affecting Facebook timeline ? That is a seperate app and i don't see anything out of ordinary there.
Regarding your other question, I don't think you can auto-play videos with the Facebook app, there is no setting for it, also since it's a mobile app it would be very unwise to auto-play when you are on 4G since it will eat your data fast. Probably that's why there is no settings for it.

RayaanP

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Regarding your other question, I don't think you can auto-play videos with the Facebook app, there is no setting for it, also since it's a mobile app it would be very unwise to auto-play when you are on 4G since it will eat your data fast. Probably that's why there is no settings for it.

You can always turn that feature on or off as in Androids.... But I'm on a plan where i do not worry about the data consumption. So would have loved it.

Gecinyuszi

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Today i encountered the problem again. Messages received overnight would not be displayed/downloaded in the app. But the Push messages arrived. It seems the issue is repeating itself ever 5 days or so.
This is highly annoying and needed to reinstall the app again. I also reported the issue to Facebook.

Gecinyuszi

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I have not encountered the problem for a while now. So i assume that the issue is fixed, although i could not find any documentation/change log for Messenger whether it was really fixed.
I got a "kind of" confirmation from Facebook, stating that they will include my feedback in their development. But did not say if the specific issue was fixed or not.
Anyone else still having this issue ?

MolecularAnt

May 14, 2016
Visit site
it's still happening for me, I also got the vague facebook feedback after reporting it, tried the new messenger beta aswell, but that kept closing every few minutes so right now I'm trying to use the mobile version of messenger as little as possible
hopefully the issues will be addressed in a future update

Gecinyuszi

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Yep, unfortunately today and 2 days ago i had the same issue again. I had to reinstall the app to load my messages. This issue is NOT solved :( and it is really frustrating

Gecinyuszi

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
As you mentioned there is a Beta Messenger App in Microsoft Store. However it is currently available only for Beta Testers, but it's deemed to be fixed this issue we are facing. Tho the app is not stable unfortunately and crashing every time. The projected release date for Messenger Beta is 2016 Summer.
Facebook's official app is now available as beta for Windows 10 | Windows Central

For me it seems that the original Messenger App will be abandoned or already abandoned and they will not fix the issue we are facing here :(

Gecinyuszi

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
2 weeks ago Messenger was updated by Facebook to the Messenger (beta) level and the issue described in this thread seem to be solved now for good. Although there are other problems, it can now download messages fine for me.

Anamnesis

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
This has been happening to me all day and it is driving me insane... the app acts like it has sent the message, but it is not visible to my friend or on my desktop version.... then an hour and a half later it just magically appears... this app is so woefully unacceptable...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6