Maps vs Google Maps

russ331

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I've been using an old & otherwise redundant Android phone exclusively as a SatNav / GPS here in the UK.

I've used Google Maps, HERE, Navmii & Waze. Over the past couple of years Google Maps has consistently delivered me to my destination quicker than other Apps, thanks to it's excellent traffic data. When the connection has been patchy, HERE has been my favourite alternative.

The phone died last week, so I sought a cheap replacement. I should mention that I've used base model Garmin & TomTom standalone SatNavs, but their lack of traffic data makes them inferior, imho, to a smartphone running Google Maps or similar. Expensive standalone SatNavs that include traffic data don't make sense to me, pricewise.

A few days ago I bought a cheap Windows 10 phone. Downloaded gMaps. Not impressed. No spoken voice directions. Not as easy as Google Maps on Android to set up a route. No alternative directions offered while driving.

Decided to return phone for refund & buy a cheap Android phone instead. Before doing so I thought I may as well give the inbuilt Microsoft Maps App a go, despite having heard nothing positive about it. Early days but I'm impressed! On a regular route for which Google Maps regularly suggest turns that I know from local knowledge & experience to result in a slower journey times, Microsoft Maps gave me perfect directions.

I'll continue evaluating Maps for the next few days. If all goes well I'll keep the Windows 10 phone. Out of curiosity, from where is Maps traffic data sourced? And does Maps suggest diversions during a journey if traffic problems arise? Also, is a video tour of the current Map features available? Thanks.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've been using an old & otherwise redundant Android phone exclusively as a SatNav / GPS here in the UK.

I've used Google Maps, HERE, Navmii & Waze. Over the past couple of years Google Maps has consistently delivered me to my destination quicker than other Apps, thanks to it's excellent traffic data. When the connection has been patchy, HERE has been my favourite alternative.

The phone died last week, so I sought a cheap replacement. I should mention that I've used base model Garmin & TomTom standalone SatNavs, but their lack of traffic data makes them inferior, imho, to a smartphone running Google Maps or similar. Expensive standalone SatNavs that include traffic data don't make sense to me, pricewise.

A few days ago I bought a cheap Windows 10 phone. Downloaded gMaps. Not impressed. No spoken voice directions. Not as easy as Google Maps on Android to set up a route. No alternative directions offered while driving.

Decided to return phone for refund & buy a cheap Android phone instead. Before doing so I thought I may as well give the inbuilt Microsoft Maps App a go, despite having heard nothing positive about it. Early days but I'm impressed! On a regular route for which Google Maps regularly suggest turns that I know from local knowledge & experience to result in a slower journey times, Microsoft Maps gave me perfect directions.

I'll continue evaluating Maps for the next few days. If all goes well I'll keep the Windows 10 phone. Out of curiosity, from where is Maps traffic data sourced? And does Maps suggest diversions during a journey if traffic problems arise? Also, is a video tour of the current Map features available? Thanks.

The MS map app mostly sources its data from Here maps. It actually has the same map data set as Here maps so there wouldn't be any downgrade in quality or accuracy.
As for where traffic data is sourced, I'm not sure about that

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
I found Microsoft map works perfectly with traffic data too. It can suggest the faster than my normal routes. Luv it.

If the phone fit your use case, I suggest you keep it. WP is generally very tough for their price.

Posted from Lumia 640 W10M.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I too, have been happy with Windows Maps. I just did a recheck, to look at the "avoid traffic" feature; but it has been removed (I guess for the time being), and I get a message "traffic info is unavailable". Anybody know anything about this?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I too, have been happy with Windows Maps. I just did a recheck, to look at the "avoid traffic" feature; but it has been removed (I guess for the time being), and I get a message "traffic info is unavailable". Anybody know anything about this?

Insider version?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I always felt HERE's and Bing's POI database was inferior to Google's in the WP8.1 days and such, I think I'll have to test that again.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I always felt HERE's and Bing's POI database was inferior to Google's in the WP8.1 days and such, I think I'll have to test that again.

it is in some countries because of the way the maps can be edited

The google maps is more complicated because it has a lot more fields and options to fill in. For example, adding a new business onto the map means you need to know the name, the type of business, opening hours, location, payment options, which floor if applicable, contact details like phone, email and website and other details besides. You don't have to add all of them but the more details you add, the better. There are tutorials online for editing google maps - anyone can edit but there are moderators who approve edits so that a random person doesn't mess up the system

With Here maps you have to be given an invite to edit their maps (that's how I got in) and you're given access to here maps creator. It's more simplified with fewer fields and options but that makes it easier and faster to use. Whereas I could possibly add 200 places in a day in Google maps I could do more than 500 on Here maps. The editing of roads is also easier and faster on Here maps as opposed to google maps.

So whereas anyone can edit Google maps, only selected individuals can edit Here Maps. However, with Google maps the adding process is longer and editing in some countries (like mine, Kenya) is locked so no one can edit anymore

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering where you have heard anything negative about Windows Maps? They are perfect and are sourced from Here but have some added functionality which makes them excellent.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
This is my only problem with maps, traffic. see below, same time same place, where am i? stuck in traffic, but maps dont realize it. There used to be a better google maps app on WP8, with a similar name but it no where to be found.
I do welcome the new "tabs" feature, this is definitely unique, but traffic is a deal breaker.
As far as POIs MS maps is better than HERE, because their search is better and they combine several sources together. Searching for stuff on HERE is still a travest, even on IOS. other day there was a typo in event location, "madera" should have been "Maderas". Here kept taking me to northern california. Google maps found it right away with the same query.traffic.png

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity, from where is Maps traffic data sourced? And does Maps suggest diversions during a journey if traffic problems arise? Also, is a video tour of the current Map features available? Thanks.

I'm guessing it's the same where Google outsources their traffic data:
1. Local authorities/agencies if available;
2. Phones that use their respective apps for navigation for crowdsourced traffic data estimates:
- Google Maps: Android, iPhone, and everything else that has Waze
- HERE, Maps (WP): Windows Phones.

In effect, Microsoft may be outsourcing data from those who actually use HERE or the native Windows Phone Maps app for navigation if data from local agencies/authorities aren't available.

On a side note, with the acquisition of Waze by Google almost three years ago, Waze is effectively sharing traffic data with Google (and Google Maps). In my country where speed cameras are either not present or are not reliable, virtually 100% of all traffic data are crowdsourced. It's not a surprise that HERE and Maps for Windows Phones don't have traffic data, while Waze and Google Maps have traffic data even for side streets. That's because Windows Phones are almost unheard of here, while majority of drivers are using Waze for traffic navigation. It's logical to deduce, therefore, that the rich data in Google Maps comes (in part) from using Waze. However, Google Maps still seems to have a higher traffic refresh rate than Waze, and therefore seems more reliable (in navigation and travel time estimation).

So, if you're after the traffic data similar to Google Maps, you may try using Waze - especially since it's also available for Windows Phone.

russ331

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
So, if you're after the traffic data similar to Google Maps, you may try using Waze - especially since it's also available for Windows Phone.

I used Waze for a couple of years on Android. Gave up on it after it repeatedly failed to warn me of upcoming traffic problems. On one occasion it redirected me around one section of my route, only to rejoin the original route a mile up the road, & put me behind vehicles that I'd been ahead of before I took the diversion.

I find Google Maps much superior to Waze. I'm simultaneously running Google Maps on an Android phone & MS Maps on the W10 phone, to compare their performance. Over the next few days, I'll decide which is preferable to me.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Just received another update last night (14376, 950XL, DS, USA), and the avoid traffic was still a no-show; I KNOW it was their a few builds back. Maybe MSFT decided it isn't necessary, because it wasn't being used? Maybe it wasn't being used because its not considered to be that accurate? All I know is that I like as many good tools in my bag as I can get, even if I only need that tool every once-in-a-while.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Waze: I dont like the traffic, the way it is represented there. The only thing waze is good for is if there are cops in front, it does that even when it runs inthe background on IOS, this is a must have for WPM10.

I'm guessing it's the same where Google outsources their traffic data:
1. Local authorities/agencies if available;
2. Phones that use their respective apps for navigation for crowdsourced traffic data estimates:
- Google Maps: Android, iPhone, and everything else that has Waze
- HERE, Maps (WP): Windows Phones.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss