Why do some users still use mms when there are so many apps for the same work?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
As an example, the most popular teclom here: Safaricom
I'll give costs in USD

0.04 USD per minute calling between phones on the same network, 0.05USD to other local networks, 0.04-0.3USD for international calls depending on region
0.01USD per sms thought there are bundled offers such as 0.3USD for 300 sms

Data varies from small amounts to large -eg 10USd for 3GB data expiring in 30 days

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm from the Caribbean and mms is practically non-existent. Back in the day, before the whole smart phone fad, we used SMS. That was it.

SMS>BBM>WhatsApp.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
As others have said, it's universal. I live in Europe (Denmark), and it's nice to be able to send a picture to anyone with a cell phone. It's free to receive MMS here (I find it odd that you have to pay to receive one in the US). My little daughter had a friend over the other day, and it was nice to be able to send an MMS to the mother of the friend, so she could see what they were up to. No need to be pals on facebook, no need to have their email, skype account, or anything of the sort. The phone number is enough.

Obviously, if you want to send someone a good quality picture, MMS is not the best choice.

Werentuckl

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Well, where I come from, MMS is pretty darn expensive. And people usually have wifi at their homes, offices, or schools/colleges, in some form or another. So WhatsApp/Viber/Skype, et al are much more used, and where people arent on any of these platforms, plain old fashioned texting works out just fine for everyone. So there, thats how the situation is over here. :)

-- W

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
My girlfriend uses Messenger. My best friend is on WhatsApp. My parents are on Hangouts.

I could keep going like this with a few more apps... Sometimes I'm just tired of trying to remember "which is using what", I've got the number of everyone, at least I'm sure I can send an MMS without any trouble.

AND, sharing a group message which includes everyone at the same time. No need to spread it over xx apps

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Wasn't Brazil in the news some time back for blocking whatsapp because telcoms were receiving no revenue? Very few were using calls or sms because apps were taking the lion's share
No, it was banned as a punishment to Facebook, they have a long standing feud with FB. I was there when this happened. The ban was rolled back in a week.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Everyone I know uses iMessage or that God awful Snapchat. If they send a pic to me through iMessage I'm gonna get it as a MMS, and naturally I'll reply through SMS/MMS also. No way I'm able to get them to use anything different.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Because I live with a bunch of normals who know nothing about tech nor do they care about it. They just want to send a pic/text and be done with it and not worry about who's on what service.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
My girlfriend uses Messenger. My best friend is on WhatsApp. My parents are on Hangouts.

I could keep going like this with a few more apps... Sometimes I'm just tired of trying to remember "which is using what", I've got the number of everyone, at least I'm sure I can send an MMS without any trouble.

AND, sharing a group message which includes everyone at the same time. No need to spread it over xx apps

This!
Also most of the people who I know who use WhatsApp is communicating with someone in a different country. I am not so WhatsApp is useless for me to have.

Also in North America too, btw.

As said earlier, unlike apps, you can miss the message. In a group MMS, there's no way you can miss that. lol.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
WhatsApp works well for me, MMS is not generally free in the UK, though unlimited sms, calls and data is quite commonplace. WhatsApp allows my family and friends to send high quality photos, videos or just messages anywhere in the world for free. It also only needs a phone number and automatically makes any of your contacts that use WhatsApp available through the WhatsApp app. Simples.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss