Recommendations for Home Automation

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm eager to jump into the Home AUtomation area. Right now leaning towards Wink and Philips hue.

But neither of them have a windows 10 based program.

What are the alternatives? And please give as best of a review of the software as you can from first hand experience.

Or should I scrap my idea and go with Samsung Smartthings?

Part of what is also motivating me, would be a Ring doorbell and cameras, as well as a Kidde smoke alarm that integrates into such a system. HOme depot used to sell a combination smoke alarm from Kidde, that worked with Wink out of the box.

Thanks for any help.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Huetro for Hue is a fantastic Hue app with the added bonus of being a UWP so runs on phone and PC and should be on the Xbox One any time soon.

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, for all the replies.

I've got a Honeywell TCC thermostat. I'm definitely on board with Hue Lights. So... I was trying to limit my hubs. I think smartthings will control Hue, and smartthings has a windows 10 app. But, I like Huetro, and have the app, just not any lights or hub yet. Heading to Ebay to test the waters on that stuff.

I also want to incorporate Smoke and CO2 detectors and also Ring doorbell at some point.

So my challenge is how to get them all to work without 10 different hubs.

I have also just downloaded Home Remote, but the Designer feature is way over my head at the current time.

Like you, I will also need a power socket controller as some of my lights, Candelabra base and some Ethan Allen curio cabinets use some really odd bulbs, that Hue hasn't gotten around to working on just yet.

Thanks again.

ChefFabrizio

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the note, I thought about Insteon, but they seem to work only with their own gear, and I already own gear from non Insteon manufacturers. I'm not looking to replace my thermostat, just yet. Love the Honeywell one.

I have read some bad reviews of Insteon software, so would like your feedback on that. I know they just finally had an update after 2 years. Sounds like it was a good update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234