Apparently the BBC know this is a problem and are in discussions with MS about it. If and ever it gets fixed is another problem though.

BBC suggest as a workaround that you can listen to iPlayer Radio using the browser. Well you can but only if you stop the phone locking as that way it is streaming as a foreground task.

Can I encourage anyone else who would like to use the iPlayer Radio app on there phone to add their complaint on the BBC web site please?

My hope is they get it fixed before this summer's test matches start as I am often in a position where I cannot get DAB radio reception. My workaround is to listen using the app on my Android tablet tethered to my Windows phone but that takes a heavy toll on the phone battery and is not practical for a full day's play and also from having to carry the tablet around with me.
    01-03-2017 04:13 AM
    They're looking at it, apparently: BBC iPlayer Radio Help - BBC iPlayer Radio App crashing on Windows mobiles

But since there was an update in December, I'm not optimistic ...
    01-17-2017 09:23 AM
    As it is my workaround to stream BBC iPlayer Radio on the hoof is to do so using my Android tablet through internet sharing on my Windows phone.
    03-23-2017 04:07 PM
    Doh! Only just got round to checking that I had allowed IE to run as a background task! If you do then BBC iPlayer Radio carries on playing after you lock the phone but stops if you try and use a different app. A semi-solution at least.
    06-25-2017 02:59 PM