Am i only person that thinks Nadella should go?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
While these devices look nice and may have their uses, most consumers are entrenched in different ecosystems and will not give up their smartphones for this. At least not in the near future.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
These links below are rumors so grain of salt necessary but it seems they may have spent big on Windows phone in the early days.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...phone-windows-phone-android-iphone?CMP=twt_fd

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenex...antees-a-ludicrous-per-unit-investment/?amp=1

When they didn't get the kind of adoption they expected the budget probably collapsed under internal pressure.

When shareholders expect an almost instant success from something playing catch up you get these kind of problems.

So, there aren't any solid numbers there. But, maybe over the entire lifespan they spent that. But it still doesn't compare to what either Google or Apple has spent in advertising. When nearly every non-tech person I talked to said, "Windows makes a phone?", that pretty much sums up the effectiveness of those ad dollars. They botched it hardcore, and the long-term effects on the company will be severe. I'm not saying Nadella is entirely to blame, but he has certainly made it worse.

tre10

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
So, there aren't any solid numbers there. But, maybe over the entire lifespan they spent that. But it still doesn't compare to what either Google or Apple has spent in advertising. When nearly every non-tech person I talked to said, "Windows makes a phone?", that pretty much sums up the effectiveness of those ad dollars. They botched it hardcore, and the long-term effects on the company will be severe. I'm not saying Nadella is entirely to blame, but he has certainly made it worse.
I agree with you but shareholders aren't going to be happy that you're flushing their money down the toilet trying to make something popular especially when you're not making much progress. It was a combination of things. Ads just being one.

The other was they rebooted so many times that developers didn't want to take the chance on having to write their apps over again.

Windows Mobile 7.5 couldn't be upgraded to Windows Phone 8 and then many Windows Phone 8.1 devices couldn't be upgraded to Windows 10.

Android and iOS have never broken compatibility on that level before much less do it twice.

No one is going to be confident in your product when you do that.

They shot themselves in the foot multiple times before Nadella to over.

He's just the guy that had the ugly task of saying we botched it and we can't possibly recover without exorbitant amounts of investment. So we're done.

zr2s10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you but shareholders aren't going to be happy that you're flushing their money down the toilet trying to make something popular especially when you're not making much progress.
And this hits the nail on the head, as the biggest problem with every industry today. Nadella is the board's yes-man and ax man. So as much as I want him gone, I want the board gone more. But that will never happen. I understand they are a company, and money has to be made. But so often, good products either die or get turned into crap, to cut costs. In every company.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
And this hits the nail on the head, as the biggest problem with every industry today. Nadella is the board's yes-man and ax man. So as much as I want him gone, I want the board gone more. But that will never happen. I understand they are a company, and money has to be made. But so often, good products either die or get turned into crap, to cut costs. In every company.

I agree to a point, but this isn’t grampa’s hardware store. These are multi billion dollar companies that have only one thing in mind: to make money. Gone are the days of taking pride in producing something of quality that will last. Gone is being content on making a few quality products rather than mass production. Gone are the days where customer service meant something. It’s sad but true. That’s why I still buy watches and other products from small manufacturers who check all those boxes. Unfortunately tech is far gone from that and there’s not much we can do.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
While these devices look nice and may have their uses, most consumers are entrenched in different ecosystems and will not give up their smartphones for this. At least not in the near future.

and that's because he pulled out of markets that Windows Phone was doing well with stable numbers , of course people would have no choice but to choose another platform

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree to a point, but this isn’t grampa’s hardware store. These are multi billion dollar companies that have only one thing in mind: to make money. Gone are the days of taking pride in producing something of quality that will last. Gone is being content on making a few quality products rather than mass production. Gone are the days where customer service meant something. It’s sad but true. That’s why I still buy watches and other products from small manufacturers who check all those boxes. Unfortunately tech is far gone from that and there’s not much we can do.

I agree. The reason businesses moved their priorities is because that's what we as consumers demanded. We found that by getting our products from China, we can save a buck. We found out that we liked that. We discovered that we would rather buy products a few dollars cheaper than pay for extraordinary quality and service.

Basically, the businesses are providing what we're asking for. It's not them as much as it is us. If we would pay top dollar for high quality products with second to none customer service, believe me, it would be there.

Roman DeSilva

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
My patience with Nadella is wearing VERY thin and I'm apparently not the only one. Did you like Windows Mobile, Groove, Band, KINECT? We're you really homing for a surface mini? Have you noticed that even though Microsoft owns Xamarin, there seems to be less apps in the app stores? He's the George R.R Martin of brutally killing you've favorite products but he's no track record of a good payoff. 2018 as far as i'm concerned is make or break for microsoft but I can genuinely say i miss steve ballmer.

Roman DeSilva

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
When the argument is that Nadella is good because the stock price is up, you've basically said, Microsoft's only real product is it's stock price, meaning it's only real customer is their investors. That's not how Apple and Google operate. And it shows when I (someone who's not a billion dollar, multi-national corporation) should be putting my money.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
When the argument is that Nadella is good because the stock price is up, you've basically said, Microsoft's only real product is it's stock price, nabbing it's only customer is their investors. That's not how Apple and Google operate. And it shows when I (someone who's not a billion dollar, multi-national corporation) should be putting my money.

Microsoft, Apple, and Google all operate the same in that regard. Microsoft's stock is up because they are pleasing their customers, therefore their customers are spending money.

No, they're not pleasing the few customers who used Windows phones. I'm sure you could find some people who have left Apple or Google because of something about the company that displeases them.

But as a whole, Microsoft's customers are satisfied. That is why their stock continues to rise.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft, Apple, and Google all operate the same in that regard. Microsoft's stock is up because they are pleasing their customers, therefore their customers are spending money.

No, they're not pleasing the few customers who used Windows phones. I'm sure you could find some people who have left Apple or Google because of something about the company that displeases them.

But as a whole, Microsoft's customers are satisfied. That is why their stock continues to rise.
Not to mention Microsoft is a software and services company first and hardware ODM a distant second. Think of all the programs/apps people buy and use on a daily basis across a wide variety of platforms and you'll understand why Microsoft really doesn't give a hairy rat's arse about a minuscule number of phone users. Myself included.

Sent from my Idol 4S on mTalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
When the argument is that Nadella is good because the stock price is up, you've basically said, Microsoft's only real product is it's stock price, nabbing it's only customer is their investors. That's not how Apple and Google operate. And it shows when I (someone who's not a billion dollar, multi-national corporation) should be putting my money.
Maybe you should read this:

https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAuNkfJ?m=en-us

Sent from my Idol 4S on mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I am a Windows phone user and am fine by Microsoft. So some might see this to be a bit biased, but that is ok. For us adventurer types, they allowed us a way to access the registry on Windows Phones which they could have put under lock and key a lot better or attempted to ;), they allow develpoer mode on Windows 10 Mobile which was not an easy option on WP8...etc.....the list goes on in that respect.
So those are cool items that appeal to me...and FYI I am not all phone users.
Ya they are not making anymore mobile phone hardware which is good and bad I think. Bad that we do not get to see the latest and greatest mobile stuff from Microsoft that they could have offered, and good in that they are not just trying to buck the mobile phone trend and pump out a device every 6-10 months or so... There really is no need for that imo... I like that their HW/ODM of sorts is a distant second as it is by design anyway.
I am speaking through W10M lenses, in that my 950 XL cruzes through its UI like it's butter. For it to be an almost 3 year old device and perform better than day one is fine be me. People are entitled to their opinions though. So Satya Nadella being under the spot light for changes made to Microsoft is ok since they are just opinions :). He knows that the choices he has to oversee made will have impact both negative and positive. To me it is trivial to argue or debate over them. It is not my business to run, but many businesses depend on them. The fact that dpendcies exist is what makes the difference. The big dependencies.
They know this and that is what is making the world turn for them. For now it is not a cool little Lumia in our hands, which is unfortunate for some. Yet Micrososft much like many enterprise parties have a lot to be responsible for and that is what they are beefing up. Mobile phones got turned off and Windows on other devices got turned up a notch.

anon(10324754)

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
I don't think Nadella should go. Even though I'm still rocking my 950 and still refuse to go Google or Apple. We haven't seen his long term vision yet. Sure, some will say he has none and he's all cloud and enterprise. Fair enough. But four years is nothing for a CEO really, especially when he's trying to change a culture and direction of a multi-billion dollar company. It can't be easy...…

…..oh, who am I kidding? Fire his ***.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)