Am i only person that thinks Nadella should go?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Nadella should go. Even though I'm still rocking my 950 and still refuse to go Google or Apple. We haven't seen his long term vision yet. Sure, some will say he has none and he's all cloud and enterprise. Fair enough. But four years is nothing for a CEO really, especially when he's trying to change a culture and direction of a multi-billion dollar company. It can't be easy...…

…..oh, who am I kidding? Fire his ***.
Four years can be an eternity in this business. Leo Apotheker destroyed HP/webOS overnight. I'm talking smithereens.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I think Microsoft should hire a group of us long term users to keep them grounded in our reality, it seems like they have some great ideas but then something happens and they don't communicate therefore the morale in their consumer base goes down. If they had a permanent focus group heading this side of the endeavor it could keep them in tune with the reality of the people who are actually funding their salaries. :) Dreams can happen, not often though, lol.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I think Microsoft should hire a group of us long term users to keep them grounded in our reality, it seems like they have some great ideas but then something happens and they don't communicate therefore the morale in their consumer base goes down. If they had a permanent focus group heading this side of the endeavor it could keep them in tune with the reality of the people who are actually funding their salaries. :) Dreams can happen, not often though, lol.
Kinda like a site where you can go to intermingle with other members who like and use Microsoft services products and the like? Could partly say this site (Windows Central and it's forums) serves some or most of that purpose which you stated. Unofficially of course...

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Kinda like a site where you can go to intermingle with other members who like and use Microsoft services products and the like? Could partly say this site (Windows Central and it's forums) serves some or most of that purpose which you stated. Unofficially of course...

Yea, but I am talking about on an official and in a face to face way, actually interacting and working together during the development of ideas and features instead of an after thought after they already invested time and energy into something that they eventually change direction from because lack of communication.

Most things in life get refined, its not all that different from the way things were designed and built pre-ww2, back then it took a car manufacturer more than a couple of years to go from design to finished product, because each phase had a different group of people in a different location. Design team drew up plans and sent those to the engineers, who would look them over and tell them what would and wouldn't be possible then send the plans back, this happened a few times until they had a working design, then they sent that to the accounting department and they looked it over and said what would or wouldn't be cost effective then sent the plans back to the design team to fix and then it would start all over again, then to the production team to make a prototype and they would find flaws that everyone else missed and all over again.

So back then there was a forward thinking individual who had the idea "Hey why don't we get all these people in the same room and have them work together to save time, but the big wigs in the good ol' boys club told him they know what they are doing and scoffed at him. Anyways at the end of WW2 when the U.S.A. agreed to help Japan get back on their feet economically they got the great idea to sent this half wit with his new ideas over to Japan and let him use his ideas to help them. By the 70's Japan had surpassed the U.S.A. in technology because of the organized way they planned and built products. What took a US Car manufacturer 4 years only took Japanese Manufacturers 6 months.

Planning and being organized goes a lot farther than people think. Nowadays when markets are so volatile and consumers are so distracted by little things it seems more important than ever to stay connected with your consumer group.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@Dono Newcomb
Thanks for sharing. I was sorta thinking that the site was somewhat of a resource for Microsoft, but probably not in the way that you're explaining. And I get your point more so now thank you.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Interesting conversation. My only question is who’s reality would people be keeping MS grounded in? Reality is a perception and we all have different ones. I’m assuming you’re speaking about keeping mobile alive which has been a disaster. That’s doesn’t mean it had to be, different decisions may have resulted in a different outcome. We’ll never know.
Was the insider program meant to meet this need? Did they listen to insiders? All good questions.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Interesting conversation. My only question is who’s reality would people be keeping MS grounded in? Reality is a perception and we all have different ones. I’m assuming you’re speaking about keeping mobile alive which has been a disaster. That’s doesn’t mean it had to be, different decisions may have resulted in a different outcome. We’ll never know.
Was the insider program meant to meet this need? Did they listen to insiders? All good questions.

This reminds me of the allegory of the cave...anyone into philosophy? :)

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
No. Enlighten us.

haha. Only was educated in Philosopy once as an undergrad, and never took another step in it. Was probably 10-15 yrs ago. Stuff from it though still stands out in my mind. Was just sharing a thought...

Edit: You can read the Allegory of the Cave though...it makes sense from what one perceives to be reality to the next. Even though it was or seems more of a "puff up" for a philosopher to share it that way, it can be applied to anyone and everyone where we are products of our own lives/reality.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site

Not really talking about keeping mobile alive, but more like keeping communication open on all fronts, the issue with Mobile and half the people thinking MS abandoned them while the other half are thinking there is something in the works, but nobody actually knowing for sure is a good example though. :)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
haha. Only was educated in Philosopy once as an undergrad, and never took another step in it. Was probably 10-15 yrs ago. Stuff from it though still stands out in my mind. Was just sharing a thought...

Edit: You can read the Allegory of the Cave though...it makes sense from what one perceives to be reality to the next. Even though it was or seems more of a "puff up" for a philosopher to share it that way, it can be applied to anyone and everyone where we are products of our own lives/reality.

Well, that means you know more than I do!
Sounds interesting. Might give it a look.

ianrenton

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Not really talking about keeping mobile alive, but more like keeping communication open on all fronts, the issue with Mobile and half the people thinking MS abandoned them while the other half are thinking there is something in the works, but nobody actually knowing for sure is a good example though. :)

I think it's almost impossible for Microsoft to compete with android or ios with it's own operating system. Nadella knows that. It's too late. But it doesn't mean they're not keeping the mobile alive. Microsoft is huge on mobile (on other operating systems). Which might be a better business eventually than if they owned android for instance.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I think it's almost impossible for Microsoft to compete with android or ios with it's own operating system. Nadella knows that. It's too late. But it doesn't mean they're not keeping the mobile alive. Microsoft is huge on mobile (on other operating systems)..

I saw an advertisement on TV the other day... "Don't you wish your computer worked more like your phone?". It was a pitch from Google to get a Chromebook. Desktop and mobile operating systems don't exist in a void. One requires the support of the other, and if Nadella thinks that Google isn't coming after the desktop market share Windows has right now, he is sadly mistaken.

In fact, my sons school allows you to have a Windows PC with Office or a Chromebook with Google Docs.

Tim Cook should be listening too.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In fact, my sons school allows you to have a Windows PC with Office or a Chromebook with Google Docs.
Maybe in grade school or high school. My wife goes to the University of Florida and Chromebooks are not supported for most programs. The irony is that Chrome browser is preferred and Edge and IE are not supported.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I believe abandoning W10M was the worst misstep Satia could have done. All the biggest technology companies, including MS, are already focusing and paying attention to the next big thing: AI. By ditching W10M, Microsoft's AI Cortana is being used less and less and it's slowly becoming irrelevant. I believe this spells trouble for Microsoft, they are primed to be placed last in the race for the next big technological thing.

I know this is an old post I am replying too. However, I have to say, being in last place is not always a bad thing. However, in this case, they are in last place and being lapped, that is bad.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old post I am replying too. However, I have to say, being in last place is not always a bad thing. However, in this case, they are in last place and being lapped, that is bad.

and that's all because of Nadella's decision, nothing at all is wrong being in third place because Msft was now being gathering market share in many other regions just not as fast as in the USA, Apple wasn't always that big, they came as differentiator

JazzL5

Nov 20, 2018
Visit site
Nadella is more interested in the business side than the consumer side. Microsoft would be much better off if they separated consumer from business. They are not compatible. A consumer oriented CEO would not have given up so quickly on Windows Mobile as Satya did. Cortana would not be disappearing from Xbox and other consumer software as it currently is under Satya.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte