Did Microsoft give windows 10 mobile less time to succeed as compared to windows phone 8,8.1

dav75

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Did Microsoft gave windows 10 mobile less time to succeed as compared to windows phone 8,8.1

Microsoft just had too many stop - start - stop - restarts with WinPhone which put a lot of people and others off. They killed WinM7 for 8 and then they kill 8 for 10. It's very hard to get behind a phone that keeps stopping and starting over and over. They could have easily kept it going but iPhone and Google with the Hate Microsoft Advertising, it's hard to beat that bashing that has been happening over the years. One thing that I dislike about Microsoft is that they seem to focus only on North America and not the rest of the world. If it does well in North America then they release it world wide, an example of this is the Band that has now been killed. Another great product, at least I thought it was a great device

Shoba Annavarjula

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Re: Did Microsoft gave windows 10 mobile less time to succeed as compared to windows phone 8,8.1

If Microsoft pursued the mobile platform, it really would have turned out like no other. Not to mention enterprise users where Office 365 is strong already. The Lumia 950 is the best smartphone camera I have ever used.

mdonoway

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site

If they put out a phone - similar to the samsung note 8, with microsoft features- it would have been a no brainer.

As long as I can log into my GMAIL, and a handful of APPs- the rest can be done through a GOOD mobile browser and shortcuts on the home screen... and notifications built into the browser. Think how much space that would save on a mobile device- 1 browser to use 20,30 or 50 shortcuts- instead of installing and updating apps.... also- no permissions-

Mark

tmoore71

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I think a better question is, did Windowscentral start this thread to generate clicks? LOL.

As for the topic, Microsoft had obviously decided to kill 10 when they released the 950. They had no other high end plans envisioned. Really sad. I loved 10. Now I have traded in my 950 toward an IPhone X for my wife. Why? Because when I went to AT&T they said the 950 was no longer supported. I currently use a Galaxy S7 Edge, and swap my sim to my 930 when I miss 10 too much. Will I ever purchase another Microsoft "phone"? Not likely after being dumped so often. So to Microsoft I say, Merry Christmas and stick to computers. You will never make it in a mobile communications arena.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

If they put out a phone - similar to the samsung note 8, with microsoft features- it would have been a no brainer.

As long as I can log into my GMAIL, and a handful of APPs- the rest can be done through a GOOD mobile browser and shortcuts on the home screen... and notifications built into the browser. Think how much space that would save on a mobile device- 1 browser to use 20,30 or 50 shortcuts- instead of installing and updating apps.... also- no permissions-

Mark

Browsers don’t replace apps and, unless you were going to buy Windows devices for $10000 each (many of them), it wouldn’t have worked.

Joe McClaine

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site

Have you ever thought about a tile in your start screen showing the green robot, and when being pushed emulating the android OS, so we could overcome the app gap. Just dreaming...

No, just no. There are so many reasons why that would be a terrible idea. If you want to use the Android OS then just use an Android device! I just don't get how this is difficult to understand.

mdonoway

Aug 14, 2016
Visit site

$10,000?

There are very few apps that I use that could not be done through a mobile browser. Half the apps direct you to a mobile web to do anything important now. Microsoft needs to lead the way in making the mobile browser more modular and enabling websites to run like apps with notifications.
1. Saves space on phone.
2. reduces permissions, and access of websites.
3. what app can not be replaced by a proper working browser with notifications enabled?
Apps still needed-
Messaging
GPS
Kindle/Audible type apps-> or a streaming through browser tab scenario..
Camera/Gallery/Viewer -Would be made by Phone Maker
Outlook- Calendar, Excel, Word, PPT, PDF etc.One Note
Calculator
Clock/Alarms/Reminders
Phone Dialer/Contacts- Would be made by Phone Maker
One Drive
Apps like Square that operate as a register
Samsung Pay- Would be made by Phone Maker
Voice Mail - Would be made by Phone Maker

Joe McClaine

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and in this case we can see the many consequences of Microsoft's retrenchment from the mobile space, but really, this should have all been foreseeable before the decision was made.

It took Bing a while to "find its feet" and become a serious contender in the search market. If the same myopic view that has been applied to Microsoft's mobile presence had also been applied to Bing, it'd have been cancelled years ago. Instead, Microsoft persevered with it and now it is no. 2 in the US, bringing with that a host of related benefits like advertising revenue. Alas, poor Windows mobile, we knew ye well...

One might wonder if Microsoft ever bothered to consider the wider ramifications of not having a viable mobile platform before they pulled the plug. Now that we've seen how this decision has led to the cancellation of Microsoft's digital music offering (via Groove), the halving of their original expectation for Windows 10 deployment, the retarded growth or even shrinking of the Windows 10 app scene, and more besides, do Microsoft even care? Then there's the intangible damage Microsoft has done, like putting developers off even bothering with Windows 10 products because of the smaller potential customer base who have demonstrated a reluctance to use apps on desktop PCs.

It may have looked like a simple decision to the likes of Nadella: Windows Mobile in 3rd place, slowed or stalled growth in key markets, revenue not meeting projections, etc. but withdrawing from the mobile market may well end up doing more damage (tangible and intangible) than staying in and trying harder to make it work (like Bing). Even if they'd waited to pull the plug on W10M until they had the next big thing to replace it (i.e. WoA, CShell, etc.) would have been something, but no.

I don't give much credence these days to what Nadella has to say, especially when he lies by saying things like "mobile first, ..." (and I'm not just thinking of smartphone hardware here, even just the Windows mobile platform) and "best on Windows". Such a stupid decision to withdraw from mobile that didn't have to be handled the way it was.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

$10,000?

There are very few apps that I use that could not be done through a mobile browser. Half the apps direct you to a mobile web to do anything important now. Microsoft needs to lead the way in making the mobile browser more modular and enabling websites to run like apps with notifications.
1. Saves space on phone.
2. reduces permissions, and access of websites.
3. what app can not be replaced by a proper working browser with notifications enabled?
Apps still needed-
Messaging
GPS
Kindle/Audible type apps-> or a streaming through browser tab scenario..
Camera/Gallery/Viewer -Would be made by Phone Maker
Outlook- Calendar, Excel, Word, PPT, PDF etc.One Note
Calculator
Clock/Alarms/Reminders
Phone Dialer/Contacts- Would be made by Phone Maker
One Drive
Apps like Square that operate as a register
Samsung Pay- Would be made by Phone Maker
Voice Mail - Would be made by Phone Maker

Who is going to pay for and support this while they are developing it? (Thus my $10000 comment). They are bleeding money in Mobile. It sounds so easy for you and me to say “just do X!” but it doesn’t work that way. I know a few fans would like to see this but you need an army to support it. It’s unrealistic.
Blackberry fans said the same thing but eventually had to accept defeat and move to Android. Some day, in some unknown future things will change but not anytime soon.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Blackberry fans said the same thing but eventually had to accept defeat and move to Android.
And us webOS devotees before that. I guess this makes me either a 3-time loser or an OS killer.

taddyt

Jul 15, 2017
Visit site

I think its obvious MS didn't want to deal with phones and that is why no new ones. Then they can blame the lack of interest (even though there can't be any interest when there is nothing released to get interest in).

All you need look at is the pic accompanying the story: Windows start screen tiles vs. start screen rows of icons. Windows far more interesting.

Windows has tiles with information in most of the tiles (plus name).
Zero information in the icons (and name).
A quick glance tells which tiles are worthy of an immediate opening. Zilch for icons.
A screen that is arguably much more attractive and creative.
A screen that can be modified and arranged to your personal preferences.

Icon lovers may have misunderstood the benefits of tiles. For me tiles are a winner, icons a boring loser.

Isaiah Heart

May 2, 2015
Visit site

Yes. So then, what was the whole point of coming up with windows mobile if at some point it was going to be plugged?

Chaos2000

Oct 3, 2016
Visit site

There was no need for Microsoft to kill windows phones, all they needed was a better operating system, windows 10 mobile was not bad or good either, windows 10 mobile could've been better if Microsoft shown intrest by taking their phones to a whole new level, The reason for MS being behind Google & Apple is the app gap but that wasn't really the problem or a excuse, MS could've come up with a better solution by beating Android & IOS. Is not to late for MS they can still come back with better hardware a better OS and better specs for their phones. MS said they will bring windows 10 Andromeda to ARM devices next year, but it will come to phones first, let just wait and see what MS are up to if they fail again then Satya Nadella should step down as CEO, cause there are people out there with better concepts and ideas.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

So Nadella should only be judged by mobile phones?

jiovine

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

I believe the main barrier to entry was Microsoft not having a Partner Ecosystem in the mobile phone space.

Nokia provided much needed innovation, dedication to the platform. They also had the MFG, Distribution and Marketing resources to produce and market the devices. Nokia had the relationships with carriers on a global basis and the adoption rates were climbing in areas where they had a strong presence.

Microsoft lacks any presence in the traditional cellular space. In the US they seemed to pigeon holed themselves with carrier exclusives. Not having a model available on all carriers limited the mass adoption needed to help grow the platform. Next they were not pursuing relationships with traditional phone MFG's - people buy a name with whom they are familiar with. Lets face it Acer, Alcatel and Blu are not household names in the US Cellular Market. Nor did they provide support for the dominant CDMA US Market.

Microsoft may be a software company but maybe they did have the right relationships for mobile app development. I don't know but Microsoft's promise and hype of "They are coming soon" kept me hanging on but it was the buggy release of the 950 that ultimately put the nail in coffin for me.

Hopefully, Microsoft will redefine the mobile space with their next release. They have really created the convertibles space and lets hope they can do that with mobile.

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site

Damn straight they didn't give it enough time, but to be more accurate - the time they had, they pissed up a wall!!!! Windows on phone is the BEST OS full stop. Now there is no other choice, and having had to adopt an Android phone, I know that I will NOT go Android. My wife has now purchased an iPhone X and it is the first phone with an OS that feels more like WM. It's a beautiful piece of craftsmanship - although it's a little too delicate, but really - THERE IS NO CHOICE now. Thanks Mr. Nadella Well done to you. Let's all give up just as we have a great product, while not telling anyone about it, just like Groove and heaps of other things. Dicks.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site

Give up too soon? I’m amazed they hung on as long as they did.

Everyone here keeps saying that Windows phone was the best OS. News flash: no one cares about the GD OS. No one buys a phone to stare at the home screen!

It’s ALWAYS about the available apps. Desktop Windows has apps. Mac OS X has apps. Desktop Linux does not. Which is the failure?

iOS has apps. Android has apps. Windows phone did not. Which is the failure?

Do you see a pattern here?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077