Did Microsoft give windows 10 mobile less time to succeed as compared to windows phone 8,8.1

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Did Microsoft gave windows 10 mobile less time to succeed as compared to windows phone 8,8.1

So because other OEMs have Android they can just ride their coattails and not lift a finger to advertise but Windows phones can't ride on Microsoft's coattails. Makes perfect sense.

Believe me, it's frustrating as hell to have to adopt another OS because Windows has failed. I'm not defending Microsoft because they advertised little. But they did. By the time the 950s were out it was fairly hopeless and they had invested too much in the product. Microsoft offered to pay devs for apps but they didn't bite. It wasn't common knowledge but the effort was there. Simply put, there wasn't enough interest and that was my chick reference. Sometimes to convey a point an analogy needs to be used. If the point still doesn't make it across, then I hoist the white flag.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not angry at Microsoft, but I'm not gonna give em a pass. You seem to be a bit more forgiving. They dropped the ball and gave up. And yes those phones get to ride the coattails. Windows phones didn't have that luxury. Just how it was. If you can't see that, (and the fact that most the tech writers and enthusiasts saw it doesn't make you say "hmmm") then we'll just be going around in circles, so may as well end this back-and-forth here. Especially since your point isn't very sound. They were offering to pay deve during 8/8.1...not so much with 10.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Did Microsoft gave windows 10 mobile less time to succeed as compared to windows phone 8,8.1

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not angry at Microsoft, but I'm not gonna give em a pass. You seem to be a bit more forgiving. They dropped the ball and gave up.

I believe Microsoft gave it a good effort. How many years and billions of $$$ would you expect them to put into it?

My opinion on the reasons WP didn't work out isn't popular here, but I think a good part of it was simply incompetence. It's like if I wanted to join an MLB team. I would know what needs to be done to make it, but I am physically incapable of doing it no matter how hard I try.

SilverFoxxx1

May 17, 2016
Visit site

I don't understand how you have 600 million Windows 10 devices in use worldwide but you fail to capture the market where most of those devices are in use? That market ladies & gentleman is MOBILE.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I believe Microsoft gave it a good effort. How many years and billions of $$$ would you expect them to put into it?

For Win 10 Mobile? At least as much time and money as they did in WP 7/8/8.1....at the very least.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

For Win 10 Mobile? At least as much time and money as they did in WP 7/8/8.1....at the very least.

Exactly how would you word that request to shareholders?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

My opinion on the reasons WP didn't work out isn't popular here, but I think a good part of it was simply incompetence. It's like if I wanted to join an MLB team. I would know what needs to be done to make it, but I am physically incapable of doing it no matter how hard I try.
Reality is usually an unpopular opinion.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Apparently... You've been arguing against it this whole thread.

Apparently, you haven't been paying attention to my posts. I like Windows on phones. I like all tech for that matter, but I also understand how the real world operates. A CEO's primary responsibility is his fiduciary resposibility to the Board. Make money for the shareholders or they will find someone who does. John Chen at BlackBerry had zero prior experience in mobile and has turned the company's fortunes around with some very unpopular decisions that have alienated its fans. Guess what, the shareholders don't care.

It's easy being an armchair CEO with unlimited Monopoly Money to spend on 24/7 advertising, new models every 6 months and flagship specs on $250 phones. That is a formula for sales success but it'll put you in Chapter 7 proceedings within a month.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Apparently, you haven't been paying attention to my posts. I like Windows on phones. I like all tech for that matter, but I also understand how the real world operates. A CEO's primary responsibility is his fiduciary resposibility to the Board. Make money for the shareholders or they will find someone who does. John Chen at BlackBerry had zero prior experience in mobile and has turned the company's fortunes around with some very unpopular decisions that have alienated its fans. Guess what, the shareholders don't care.

It's easy being an armchair CEO with unlimited Monopoly Money to spend on 24/7 advertising, new models every 6 months and flagship specs on $250 phones. That is a formula for sales success but it'll put you in Chapter 7 proceedings within a month.
Pay attention to the OP... This is about the efforts behind Win 10 Mobile... Not Microsoft's over all mobile efforts. I'm starting to feel like I'm in a Peanuts cartoon and the teacher is talking....

Tyrone Bigguns

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site

" Satya Nadella! I don't think he's good for Microsoft."

Microsoft three years ago when Nadella took over $47. Microsoft today. $83.

That's a 76% increase in three years. 25% per year.

No, he's no good!

Cloud based. Cloud driven. Nothing to do with increasing Mobile footprint.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

This is about the efforts behind Win 10 Mobile... Not Microsoft's over all mobile efforts.

Maybe the writing was already on the proverbial wall when W10M was released. From what we know, there is somewhat less effort required for W10M because of its ties to W10 desktop. Maybe Microsoft decided to release it anyway because of that, knowing the end was nigh. Who knows?

As @fatclue_98 said, profits are the importance. In fact, that is the reason for a company to exist in the first place. A company who throws away money to please a few fans has problems.

Yes, we are countering by saying that Microsoft is throwing away the future by getting out of mobile, since mobile IS the future. But who are we kidding? Relatively few tech companies, two to be exact, have a viable mobile platform. The ones without are doing just fine, Microsoft included.

I don't believe for a second that Microsoft needs mobile to remain relevant in the future. Sure, they might need to shift their focus (as they have been doing), but they'll be around awhile yet. Let's not let our fanaticism over their mobile platform taint our view of Microsoft's position.

Either way, Microsoft tried. They tried hard. Seven years and billions of dollars. What do they have to show for it, besides a few WP/WM fanboys? When I was a kid, my dad used to say, "Don't throw good money after bad money."

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Pay attention to the OP... This is about the efforts behind Win 10 Mobile... Not Microsoft's over all mobile efforts. I'm starting to feel like I'm in a Peanuts cartoon and the teacher is talking....
There is no other mobile than 10. Everything that happened yesterday is a cloud of dust. I don't know where you got the idea I was referring to any other iteration.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Totally agree with you. I love how people like to say they would have spent billions of dollars more to attempt to save a failing product. They have no idea how a business works. This isn’t a lemonade stand, it’s a corporation that needs to answer to its shareholders, not individuals on a fan site.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Totally agree with you. I love how people like to say they would have spent billions of dollars more to attempt to save a failing product. They have no idea how a business works. This isn’t a lemonade stand, it’s a corporation that needs to answer to its shareholders, not individuals on a fan site.

The ONLY industry I know of where owners spend mega millions on a failing "product" to appease their fans is in the sports world. Contracts are based on past performance even if an athlete is showing clear signs of deterioration. It's like a lifetime achievement award. Especially in the NBA where contracts are guaranteed.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

The ONLY industry I know of where owners spend mega millions on a failing "product" to appease their fans is in the sports world. Contracts are based on past performance even if an athlete is showing clear signs of deterioration. It's like a lifetime achievement award.

True. But fans keep buying tickets so....

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

True. But fans keep buying tickets so....
You're obviously not a Marlins fan. We can't even get flies into that beautiful stadium. Now that we have Deadbeat Jeetz (Derek Jeter) ruining, oops I meant running, the team it's only getting worse. The Giancarlo Stanton situation is turning into a PR fiasco.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

You're obviously not a Marlins fan. We can't even get flies into that beautiful stadium. Now that we have Deadbeat Jeetz (Derek Jeter) ruining, oops I meant running, the team it's only getting worse. The Giancarlo Stanton situation is turning into a PR fiasco.

Ouch, I’m sorry! I don’t follow baseball too much.

Here in Buffalo, after 17 failed seasons in a row fans still fill the football stadium. The hockey team is in last place but people go to the games and spend lots of money. I don’t get it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Ouch, I’m sorry! I don’t follow baseball too much.

Here in Buffalo, after 17 failed seasons in a row fans still fill the football stadium. The hockey team is in last place but people go to the games and spend lots of money. I don’t get it.
Loved Buffalo when I went there a couple of years ago. It was hard as a Dolphins fan to hate the Bills because I'm a fan of The U first and foremost. Jim Kelly got the swagger started here and he's loved here every bit as much as in Buffalo. He was on the sidelines at the UM - Notre Dame game along with other alumni and he still gets the loudest cheers.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

First off... Business owner here... Second, I didn't say to spend billions on a failing product. I said to spend some money on a new product upon its release. Don't cherry pick what you want to read... Read all of what people write, absorb it, then comment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion