Did Microsoft give windows 10 mobile less time to succeed as compared to windows phone 8,8.1

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Did Microsoft gave windows 10 mobile less time to succeed as compared to windows phone 8,8.1

There is no other mobile than 10. Everything that happened yesterday is a cloud of dust. I don't know where you got the idea I was referring to any other iteration.
Probably because you keep asking how much MORE money do I think they should have spent. I'm saying spend money from the get go, which they didn't. So you can't spend MORE money if you didn't spend any to begin with. Since you kept saying MORE, it implies or references the past, where they did spend money. Once Win 10 Mobile came out along side the 950/950xl, they barely spent a dime. Now that we're all caught up with the conversation maybe we can make some intelligent comments now, rather than try and sound cool and condescending. Just a thought. Actually it doesn't matter. I said my piece, based on facts and know what's what, so I'm pretty much done entertaining people who like to think they know better. Quote comment or reply as you wish.

That being said, yeah... Microsoft totally gave up way too soon on Win 10 Mobile, as compared to prior iterations of WP. (bringing the topic back on track).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Did Microsoft gave windows 10 mobile less time to succeed as compared to windows phone 8,8.1

Probably because you keep asking how much MORE money do I think they should have spent. I'm saying spend money from the get go, which they didn't. So you can't spend MORE money if you didn't spend any to begin with. Since you kept saying MORE, it implies or references the past, where they did spend money. Once Win 10 Mobile came out along side the 950/950xl, they barely spent a dime. Now that we're all caught up with the conversation maybe we can make some intelligent comments now, rather than try and sound cool and condescending. Just a thought. Actually it doesn't matter. I said my piece, based on facts and know what's what, so I'm pretty much done entertaining people who like to think they know better. Quote comment or reply as you wish.

That being said, yeah... Microsoft totally gave up way too soon on Win 10 Mobile, as compared to prior iterations of WP. (bringing the topic back on track).
You think too much and put words in people's mouths. I've never asked how much money Microsoft did or should have spent nor does anyone care. What I did say is that it's foolish business practice to continue (notice the word) devoting resources on a product that is being sought less and less on a daily basis. The tech media did nothing to help but that's a topic for another day. Also, Windows 10 Mobile did not debut with a Microsoft-branded phone. It released initially on the Alcatel Fierce XL, a thoroughly forgettable device I couldn't get rid of fast enough. Over and out.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Apparently, you haven't been paying attention to my posts. I like Windows on phones. I like all tech for that matter, but I also understand how the real world operates. A CEO's primary responsibility is his fiduciary resposibility to the Board. Make money for the shareholders or they will find someone who does. John Chen at BlackBerry had zero prior experience in mobile and has turned the company's fortunes around with some very unpopular decisions that have alienated its fans. Guess what, the shareholders don't care.

It's easy being an armchair CEO with unlimited Monopoly Money to spend on 24/7 advertising, new models every 6 months and flagship specs on $250 phones. That is a formula for sales success but it'll put you in Chapter 7 proceedings within a month.

It's been mentioned here and elsewhere the MS has Win 10 on 600 million devices worldwide. Wouldn't that indicate that this 600 million would be a potential familiar market for a Win 10 mobile device. Having been in sales and marketing for most of my adult life, we always made sure we kept our user base involved in what was coming and advertise to those people specifically the features and benefits our mobile product would be to them. This I did not and do not see from MS. Maybe marketing and advertising aren't important enough to give a try. Sad!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Having been in sales and marketing for most of my adult life, we always made sure we kept our user base involved in what was coming

Coming soon? :cool:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

It's been mentioned here and elsewhere the MS has Win 10 on 600 million devices worldwide. Wouldn't that indicate that this 600 million would be a potential familiar market for a Win 10 mobile device. Having been in sales and marketing for most of my adult life, we always made sure we kept our user base involved in what was coming and advertise to those people specifically the features and benefits our mobile product would be to them. This I did not and do not see from MS. Maybe marketing and advertising aren't important enough to give a try. Sad!
I don't disagree at all. There has been some form of Windows on mobile since 2003 and except for a brief period around 2006 it has been largely ignored by the public. For WHATEVER reason, the public has this image of Windows as being a stodgy, old-folks system with no "cool" factor whatsoever. Maybe if they re-christen phones as XBox Phones they'll catch on better, I don't know. My background is design/engineering/manufacturing and not a lick of marketing experience.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I don't disagree at all. There has been some form of Windows on mobile since 2003 and except for a brief period around 2006 it has been largely ignored by the public. For WHATEVER reason, the public has this image of Windows as being a stodgy, old-folks system with no "cool" factor whatsoever. Maybe if they re-christen phones as XBox Phones they'll catch on better, I don't know. My background is design/engineering/manufacturing and not a lick of marketing experience.
Ok...I'm so not trying to start anything up again here, especially since I don't have time today, but I couldn't help but say something. But did you just agree with someone who said a more detailed version of exactly what I said in my one line statement, that you argued with me all night about while taking jabs like "arm chair ceo"? Seriously...dude...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Ok...I'm so not trying to start anything up again here, especially since I don't have time today, but I couldn't help but say something. But did you just agree with someone who said a more detailed version of exactly what I said in my one line statement, that you argued with me all night about while taking jabs like "arm chair ceo"? Seriously...dude...

Post #90 states, and I quote, "This is about the efforts behind Win 10 Mobile... Not Microsoft's over all mobile efforts."

Sorry dude, we're not discussing the same things. @aximtreo and I are discussing Microsoft's efforts globally and you're stuck on W10M.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

Post #90 states, and I quote, "This is about the efforts behind Win 10 Mobile... Not Microsoft's over all mobile efforts."

Sorry dude, we're not discussing the same things. @aximtreo and I are discussing Microsoft's efforts globally and you're stuck on W10M.
He was stating to use the global market base as a push for Win 10 Mobile, along side marketing and advertising. Which is what I pretty much said over the course of this thread... Geez. Can't even admit that maybe you've just been misreading posts. Or misinterpreting. Either mine or his.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
First off... Business owner here... Second, I didn't say to spend billions on a failing product. I said to spend some money on a new product upon its release. Don't cherry pick what you want to read... Read all of what people write, absorb it, then comment.

You don’t think they spent money on their new products? You don’t think they lost tons of money? If you are really a business owner (a lemonade stand doesn’t count), you would get it. Marketing tells us there are two players in the game until something changes. We can wish there were 3 or more all we want, but that doesn’t make it real.

Make sure you read “all of what I wrote” also.

I hope you know I’m just having fun with you.

Last edited:

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
You don’t think they spent money on their new products? You don’t think they lost tons of money? If you are really a business owner (a lemonade stand doesn’t count), you would get it. Marketing tells us there are two players in the game until something changes. We can wish there were 3 or more all we want, but that doesn’t make it real.

Make sure you read “all of what I wrote” also.

I hope you know I’m just having fun with you.
Totally... I'm a wise *** my self (if you couldn't tell). I meant there was no financial push in marketing once Win 10 Mobile was announced, specifically for Win 10 Mobile and the last of the Lumias. That's all I'm saying. They obviously spent money in development and such.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Totally... I'm a wise *** my self (if you couldn't tell). I meant there was no financial push in marketing once Win 10 Mobile was announced, specifically for Win 10 Mobile and the last of the Lumias. That's all I'm saying. They obviously spent money in development and such.

Sure, I understand where you’re coming from.

I was a big BlackBerry fan and it was the same scenario and the same comments in the forums. “They didn’t try hard enough”. “They didn’t market enough”. To me, once Apple developed their App Store and Android jumped in (perfect timing, lucky or not) it was all over.No amount of money was going to convince a large enough segment of the consumer population to change to another platform. That’s what we’ve seem for the last 10 years or so. BlackBerry finally threw in the white flag and now MS is also.

No doubt, someday, things will change. How we use technology will develop in a different direction and ABC company (new or present) will be there to lead the next wave along with anyone else who is smart enough to see what is happening. Everyone else will be left in the dust to pick up crumbs.

Just my 2 cents.

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I think a bounce back in mobile ecosystem again, still , can prove to be fruitful.
I am still a w10m user, on a verge of buying an android, but I will continue using my windows device. till date i havent tried android or ios. If MS launches a new windows mobile budget device in future,I am surely gonna buy.
I still love windows, just switching coz my 640 has started giving hardware related issues.
I can't understand, why MS didnt fully design windows phone as a scaled down version minus x86 apps completely. Windows store apps should have been truly universal (working on pc and mobile) from the beginning, sharing same code. If that was the case from lumia's glory (2013-14) , wp could have had success.. Windows 8's bad response, nokia - microsoft takeover had negative impact on wp in marketplace..
MS didnt make one.... it made many mistakes..

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think a bounce back in mobile ecosystem again, still , can prove to be fruitful.
I am still a w10m user, on a verge of buying an android, but I will continue using my windows device. till date i havent tried android or ios. If MS launches a new windows mobile budget device in future,I am surely gonna buy.
I still love windows, just switching coz my 640 has started giving hardware related issues.
I can't understand, why MS didnt fully design windows phone as a scaled down version minus x86 apps completely. Windows store apps should have been truly universal (working on pc and mobile) from the beginning, sharing same code. If that was the case from lumia's glory (2013-14) , wp could have had success.. Windows 8's bad response, nokia - microsoft takeover had negative impact on wp in marketplace..
MS didnt make one.... it made many mistakes..

Consumer ignorance made up 2 of the mistakes you listed. That scaled down version minus x86 apps? That was Windows RT in a nutshell. The problem was that too many buyers didn't know that you couldn't run executables on it (.exe files). The 2nd "mistake" was the timing of RT since it launched with Windows 8 and we know how the public received that one.

Making rash decisions based on consumers' fear of the unknown usually results in disaster. Gotta hand it to Steve Jobs, he stood his ground and told iPhone 4 users they were a bunch of dummies and you're holding it wrong. Instead of a complete redesign Apple sent TPU skins out and pretty much told users this was the way forward - deal with it. Microsoft should have told users the Start button is gone the way of the Dodo bird with Windows 8 - deal with it. Metro is the new design language - deal with it.

Apple had the strength of their market position to make it known what their vision of the future was and used it. Microsoft had, and still has, an overwhelming market position in PC to explain to the computing world they knew what the future was going to bring and they punted at the 1-yard line on 1st and goal.

Kurt Kristoffersen

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site

I agree 100 % Since Satya Nadella is not good for Microsoft, we were a group of happy Microsoft supporters, now we’er turned to Apple, Microsoft has lost its spirit with Satya Nadella , time to support and invest in a positiv developing company.

instantk

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
MS store still has lots of quality windows phone games...
Focus on gaming might have the platform. I hope those games remain as they are..
Its sad that few months back ms removed many games from the platform due to stupid rating thing. Machineers, jelly slice, zombies can't jump, aqua thief are few such games I miss badly..
I find most apps and games on android messed up with ads. Ads are less on wp apps and games..

wtrmlnjuc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
They gave up on it 2 years before W10M was even released. Then, it's just been on maintenance mode ever since the 950s launched. Beyond bug fixes what has even come to Windows 10 Mobile?

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I think microsoft put windows mobile too quickly into maintenance mode. I think they should have pushed for one more round before pushing for windows on ARM. I would have liked them to finish continuum by being to open two apps side by side. I think that would have been an interesting solution and a nice gobetween full windows and windows that is just enough in a mobile formfactor. I might have been convinced to switch my workflow completely to mobile. Secondly a bit more elbow grease into luring developers to develop for uwp and some upgrades to the live tile experience in customization and tile size and functionality and the phone would have still been an interesting option for a while. And maybe push some more fit and finish to windows maps. A wonderful device.

After Qualcom's keynote 2017 it has become clear where microsoft is headed now with windows on ARM. But I don't see the smartphone as part of that ecosystem. Personally I think this experience will be best if microsoft now goes all in with cross platform support for iOS and android in conjunction with windows on arm. With this I mean full continuitiy experience of every microsoft app on android and iOS with windows, a full featured Microsoft launcher, and a powruser laucher that utilizes an full windows startmenu expriences with advanced live tile functionality on android. If they can pull that off then they're somewhere. Otherwise the platform is meh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss