One change I would make would be be to beta test Microsoft products on internal departments. Have the entire accountancy department use nothing but Surface laptops. Have the HR department work exclusively with Lumia 550 and 950 handsets.

If a bug hits your internal productivity you are going to put more emphasis on fixing it. If something isn't user friendly or not doing its job properly its going to get prioritised.

That's going to lead to more polished products which was the main issue with Win10M, the Lumias, the Band, etc, a lack of polish that meant Microsoft were always on the back foot.
    11-26-2017 01:36 PM
    That's a good idea in theory but if the apps aren't there for those testing the devices to communicate normally with their iPhone and Android owning friends and family then they'll ditch the Windows devices pretty quick. People don't like to be left out of the crowd.
    11-27-2017 07:02 AM
    Originally posted by MattEvansC3
    One change I would make would be be to beta test Microsoft products on internal departments. Have the entire accountancy department use nothing but Surface laptops. Have the HR department work exclusively with Lumia 550 and 950 handsets.

If a bug hits your internal productivity you are going to put more emphasis on fixing it. If something isn't user friendly or not doing its job properly its going to get prioritised.

That's going to lead to more polished products which was the main issue with Win10M, the Lumias, the Band, etc, a lack of polish that meant Microsoft were always on the back foot.
    Interesting, lets hope MS gives you position as CEO...

Jokes aside, the idea is nice with one flaw, the teams involved in the 'accountancy department' would, essentially, rebel against such an idea, with the lack of social apps (Snapchat ๐Ÿ˜ก) and other essentials (YouTube ๐Ÿ™„) The teams would not accept a flawed system and many employees would quit. Cheers! ๐Ÿ™‚
    11-27-2017 07:51 AM

Jokes aside, the idea is nice with one flaw, the teams involved in the 'accountancy department' would, essentially, rebel against such an idea, with the lack of social apps (Snapchat ) and other essentials (YouTube ) The teams would not accept a flawed system and many employees would quit. Cheers!
    Exactly my point, sadly. It's all about MS needing developers to actually want to develop apps for the platform. To do that people need to buy the phone, to do that, MS needs to market the device, to do that they have to make sure their products are global (and not just in five territories) and so on.

It's all connected.
    11-28-2017 03:56 AM
    Exactly my point, sadly. It's all about MS needing developers to actually want to develop apps for the platform. To do that people need to buy the phone, to do that, MS needs to market the device, to do that they have to make sure their products are global (and not just in five territories) and so on.

It's all connected.
    Indeed we are stuck in a loop of hopelessness, maybe MSFT could hack every single Android and iOS phones and permanently shut them down... That'll put Win10m users on top...

Or Microsoft could take a less... Damaging path and just promote their phones the old fashioned way, and... you know make a killer phone so that people could actually show it off, instead of hiding it or saying, "I don't have much, its a Nokia" or... Microsoft could buy google (Microsoft Buys Google for $200 Billion โ€“ Seifi.org).
    11-28-2017 06:25 AM
    Indeed we are stuck in a loop of hopelessness, maybe MSFT could hack every single Android and iOS phones and permanently shut them down... That'll put Win10m users on top...

Or Microsoft could take a less... Damaging path and just promote their phones the old fashioned way, and... you know make a killer phone so that people could actually show it off, instead of hiding it or saying, "I don't have much, its a Nokia" or... Microsoft could buy google (Microsoft Buys Google for $200 Billion โ€“ Seifi.org).
    I am not sure if MS would buy Google. Most likely the other way around. They need to do what you say and do it all the old-fashioned way. Make something people want to have that has all the apps that they need.
    11-28-2017 06:48 AM
    I am not sure if MS would buy Google. Most likely the other way around. They need to do what you say and do it all the old-fashioned way. Make something people want to have that has all the apps that they need.
    You got me wrong... The MSFT buying Google statement was a joke... just to keep things a bit less serious...
    11-28-2017 07:06 AM
    You got me wrong... The MSFT buying Google statement was a joke... just to keep things a bit less serious...
    It's okay. I understand it was a joke. It's also an interesting thing to discuss either way though.
    11-29-2017 01:06 AM
    Originally posted by OsmiousH
    Originally posted by MattEvansC3

Jokes aside, the idea is nice with one flaw, the teams involved in the 'accountancy department' would, essentially, rebel against such an idea, with the lack of social apps (Snapchat ๐Ÿ˜ก) and other essentials (YouTube ๐Ÿ™„) The teams would not accept a flawed system and many employees would quit. Cheers! ๐Ÿ™‚
    I can't imagine Apple employee using Android phone.
    11-29-2017 02:43 AM
    I can't imagine Apple employee using Android phone.
    I know for a fact that windows and Android both are used inside of Apple (Don't quote me, My friend once told me). Windows makes sense (Bootcamp etc.) and Android too (Apple switch. It's not that organisations don't use devices NOT of their own making, especially ones related to both hardware and software... It is highly unprofessional and in some cases, counterproductive.
    11-29-2017 10:08 AM
    Microsoft actually laid off their Programmatic testers during the layoffs. OSG test was renamed to Quality and writing tests were moved to the dev team and so the OSG testers were laid off.

Hence all the obvious bugs being missed, I understand why - if you look at code for long enough you become oblivious to flaws and combined with reduced coding hour availability. There is not enough time for the dev team to design, code, implement, test and reiterate. Hence all the delays... and obvious bugs being missed.

This one of the reasons I am very critical of Satya Nadella (by extension the SLT team).

However I do not hold Phil Spencer and his team in that assessment as he was recently promoted (this year).

The layoff's also impacted Xbox heavily, as by shutting down studios and laying off talent - the Xbox One X didn't have 'much' in the way of first party titles at launch... (another reason why I am critical of the CEO + SLT team) despite these cuts, the xbox team have done a phenomenal job after the initial xbox one launch issues.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-02-2017 08:47 PM