Turn around for Microsoft Windows Phones

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Hello, Dan, and Everyone :

We all know for price point and specs included, Microsoft phones offer a lot, but of course not just that is what will help in the end to increase Microsoft's market share.

What do you believe will be the turn around from Microsoft in the mobile business? Having the surface pro engineers take over the mobile business? An increase in popular apps in the Microsoft store? Or is the more to it?

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
This.
They never got it right with likes of Lumia 830.

I don't think so. Google could have priced their Pixels around 300 or 400 € but they chose otherwise. Why you ask? Because people would have thought that the Pixel is not a good phone with a cheap price tag.
MS can't put a high end phone out with a low price tag because in the eyes of the people it would be like "oh, another cheap phone by MS"

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
The only way I can see Microsoft gaining market share in the short term is to get Samsung to ship Windows phones instead of Android, but it's obviously never gonna happen.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so. Google could have priced their Pixels around 300 or 400 € but they chose otherwise. Why you ask? Because people would have thought that the Pixel is not a good phone with a cheap price tag.
MS can't put a high end phone out with a low price tag because in the eyes of the people it would be like "oh, another cheap phone by MS"
MS is not in a dominant position as google is, problem with phones such as 830 and 930 were that they had dated internals yet were priced premium. hence no takers.

milkyway

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
MS is not in a dominant position as google is, problem with phones such as 830 and 930 were that they had dated internals yet were priced premium. hence no takers.

I don't think it's about a dominant position. HTC is not doing well either and has a very high price tag on their new U.
There is a rule: you can either take the market by differentiation or by cost leadership. MS will go with differentation (and therefore the Surface Phone will be very expensive, like the Surface Studio or the Book)

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Hello, that is a very good point if a company chooses to charge premium for dated technology, then they are not making the right progress consumers who do not mind paying a reasonable price that matches good quality!

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
I think so too that Microsoft if it does put out a Surface phone it will be at a high price point, but will be a phone of it's own kind with continuum, and other new innovative features.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Someone should make a phone that comes with no OS installed. Like some computers then install the OS you wish. You can try Android then you can try Windows. Then see where the grass is greener.

Ciscoca

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Schnuffi, that is an interesting idea. I feel as though Microsoft Shell having different tablet, phone, xbox, etc modes is something really cool. Such a phone would be cool if it had the ability to go from windows to android, etc. In the end as a consumer we are entitled to come up with these ideas, now will something like this be created we can all speculate.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Think of it this way...there would be no crying over what your phone does outside of the HW and design, since you are responsible for installing and maintaining the OS. This type of scenario could possibly be feasible but not beneficial for OEMs and other companies like Samsung and such. It would also have to contain strict security around the rom that is in control of the radio and other elements of the device so that it is not easily tampered into or with.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft should figure out the problem that they had with the Windows 10 Mobile build that supported android apps. Install a Android store along with the Windows store.

If Microsoft could get Android or iOS apps (Apple would never let that happen), the app problem could almost be resolved, More people would look towards a Windows Phone because of the App problem was resolved and Windows Phone is far better looking than MOST Android devices (as the OS goes).

Then as people use their phone, they will see the benefit from using live tiles and looking towards more Windows apps and request them. The more phones sold, the better the chance apps will come.

I wish I could roll back to that build of Windows Mobile, I did use it and side loaded a bunch of Android apps.

At this point with Microsoft pretty much giving up competing on the phone market, this is the ONLY way it could grow.... and of course Microsoft killed off the feature...

Someone should make a phone that comes with no OS installed. Like some computers then install the OS you wish. You can try Android then you can try Windows. Then see where the grass is greener.

As I also have wished for this, because of hardware and not everyone will work together to do this, I could never see this happen. Maybe an Android and Windows Phone...might be possible but, iOS, never...

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft should figure out the problem that they had with the Windows 10 Mobile build that supported android apps. Install a Android store along with the Windows store.

If Microsoft could get Android or iOS apps (Apple would never let that happen), the app problem could almost be resolved, More people would look towards a Windows Phone because of the App problem was resolved and Windows Phone is far better looking than MOST Android devices (as the OS goes).

Then as people use their phone, they will see the benefit from using live tiles and looking towards more Windows apps and request them. The more phones sold, the better the chance apps will come.

I wish I could roll back to that build of Windows Mobile, I did use it and side loaded a bunch of Android apps.

At this point with Microsoft pretty much giving up competing on the phone market, this is the ONLY way it could grow.... and of course Microsoft killed off the feature...

As I also have wished for this, because of hardware and not everyone will work together to do this, I could never see this happen. Maybe an Android and Windows Phone...might be possible but, iOS, never...

Blackberry did this. It didn't work.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Blackberry did this. It didn't work.

Yep but, It's about the only hope Microsoft has... apps were starting to come and Microsoft through in the towel. Apps are fading, market share is dropping more and more. Where is Microsoft in all this ? Hello ? Yea, exactly where they have been.

Microsoft can keep updating Windows 10 Mobile but, why ? They can never compete with Android or the iPhone nor do they care to try...

Just think about the way Windows Phone is going now...and picture how it will be 5 years from now. The future does not look very bright for it

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yep but, It's about the only hope Microsoft has... apps were starting to come and Microsoft through in the towel. Apps are fading, market share is dropping more and more. Where is Microsoft in all this ? Hello ? Yea, exactly where they have been.

Microsoft can keep updating Windows 10 Mobile but, why ? They can never compete with Android or the iPhone nor do they care to try...

Just think about the way Windows Phone is going now...and picture how it will be 5 years from now. The future does not look very bright for it

I don't think they should nor need to compete with Android and iPhone. Microsoft is much more than phones. If their plan works out, they still won't be a leader in mobile but will be situated quite well for the future, even with mobile devices.
JMHO.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't think they should nor need to compete with Android and iPhone. Microsoft is much more than phones. If their plan works out, they still won't be a leader in mobile but will be situated quite well for the future, even with mobile devices.
JMHO.

As far as the phone itself (hardware) Microsoft needs a turnaround. They atm are relying on other oems for that. As far as W10M os is concerned. Microsoft is a stellar performer in that arena imo. And that is their arena anyway.

I'm of the same thought on the competing aspect...Not sure why it is, but it seems Microsoft is only trying to keep their foot inside the mobile realm. Maybe until they need it or can leverage it most. I don't think Microsofts goal is to wow people in the mobile race, at least not now. Why pour yourselves into something if the return is so little or could be. They have so many other angles to benefit the W10 ecosystem that is as far as hardware, (surface/gaming/holographic) and currently doing good at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss