02-21-2017 01:05 AM
48 12
tools
    Hello, Dan, and Everyone :

We all know for price point and specs included, Microsoft phones offer a lot, but of course not just that is what will help in the end to increase Microsoft's market share.

What do you believe will be the turn around from Microsoft in the mobile business? Having the surface pro engineers take over the mobile business? An increase in popular apps in the Microsoft store? Or is the more to it?
    anthonyng and RumoredNow like this.
    01-27-2017 12:16 PM
    1. Launching some value for money phones likes OnePlus 3T.
    2. After the NEON update. (Brand new UI/UX animation)
    3. Apps. Obviously.
    4. Surface Pen on high end Windows Phones. (Surface Phone line up)
    01-28-2017 01:25 AM
    1. Launching some value for money phones likes OnePlus 3T.
    This.
    They never got it right with likes of Lumia 830.
    Ariel Takom likes this.
    01-29-2017 10:07 AM
    This.
    They never got it right with likes of Lumia 830.
    I don't think so. Google could have priced their Pixels around 300 or 400 € but they chose otherwise. Why you ask? Because people would have thought that the Pixel is not a good phone with a cheap price tag.
    MS can't put a high end phone out with a low price tag because in the eyes of the people it would be like "oh, another cheap phone by MS"
    aximtreo likes this.
    01-29-2017 11:08 AM
    The only way I can see Microsoft gaining market share in the short term is to get Samsung to ship Windows phones instead of Android, but it's obviously never gonna happen.
    01-29-2017 11:09 AM
    I don't think so. Google could have priced their Pixels around 300 or 400 € but they chose otherwise. Why you ask? Because people would have thought that the Pixel is not a good phone with a cheap price tag.
    MS can't put a high end phone out with a low price tag because in the eyes of the people it would be like "oh, another cheap phone by MS"
    MS is not in a dominant position as google is, problem with phones such as 830 and 930 were that they had dated internals yet were priced premium. hence no takers.
    Mars2003 likes this.
    01-29-2017 01:47 PM
    MS is not in a dominant position as google is, problem with phones such as 830 and 930 were that they had dated internals yet were priced premium. hence no takers.
    I don't think it's about a dominant position. HTC is not doing well either and has a very high price tag on their new U.
    There is a rule: you can either take the market by differentiation or by cost leadership. MS will go with differentation (and therefore the Surface Phone will be very expensive, like the Surface Studio or the Book)
    01-30-2017 01:45 AM
    Hello, that is a very good point if a company chooses to charge premium for dated technology, then they are not making the right progress consumers who do not mind paying a reasonable price that matches good quality!
    01-30-2017 12:22 PM
    I think so too that Microsoft if it does put out a Surface phone it will be at a high price point, but will be a phone of it's own kind with continuum, and other new innovative features.
    Captain_Eric likes this.
    01-31-2017 10:02 PM
    Someone should make a phone that comes with no OS installed. Like some computers then install the OS you wish. You can try Android then you can try Windows. Then see where the grass is greener.
    02-01-2017 12:55 AM
    Schnuffi, that is an interesting idea. I feel as though Microsoft Shell having different tablet, phone, xbox, etc modes is something really cool. Such a phone would be cool if it had the ability to go from windows to android, etc. In the end as a consumer we are entitled to come up with these ideas, now will something like this be created we can all speculate.
    02-01-2017 12:30 PM
    Someone should make a phone that comes with no OS installed. Like some computers then install the OS you wish. You can try Android then you can try Windows. Then see where the grass is greener.
    I have for years, wondered if that would ever happen...I second your thought there sir.
    aximtreo and Ariel Takom like this.
    02-01-2017 02:01 PM
    Think of it this way...there would be no crying over what your phone does outside of the HW and design, since you are responsible for installing and maintaining the OS. This type of scenario could possibly be feasible but not beneficial for OEMs and other companies like Samsung and such. It would also have to contain strict security around the rom that is in control of the radio and other elements of the device so that it is not easily tampered into or with.
    02-01-2017 02:05 PM
    Microsoft should figure out the problem that they had with the Windows 10 Mobile build that supported android apps. Install a Android store along with the Windows store.

If Microsoft could get Android or iOS apps (Apple would never let that happen), the app problem could almost be resolved, More people would look towards a Windows Phone because of the App problem was resolved and Windows Phone is far better looking than MOST Android devices (as the OS goes).

Then as people use their phone, they will see the benefit from using live tiles and looking towards more Windows apps and request them. The more phones sold, the better the chance apps will come.

I wish I could roll back to that build of Windows Mobile, I did use it and side loaded a bunch of Android apps.

At this point with Microsoft pretty much giving up competing on the phone market, this is the ONLY way it could grow.... and of course Microsoft killed off the feature...

As I also have wished for this, because of hardware and not everyone will work together to do this, I could never see this happen. Maybe an Android and Windows Phone...might be possible but, iOS, never...
    aximtreo, nate0 and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-01-2017 06:58 PM
    Microsoft should figure out the problem that they had with the Windows 10 Mobile build that supported android apps. Install a Android store along with the Windows store.

If Microsoft could get Android or iOS apps (Apple would never let that happen), the app problem could almost be resolved, More people would look towards a Windows Phone because of the App problem was resolved and Windows Phone is far better looking than MOST Android devices (as the OS goes).

Then as people use their phone, they will see the benefit from using live tiles and looking towards more Windows apps and request them. The more phones sold, the better the chance apps will come.

I wish I could roll back to that build of Windows Mobile, I did use it and side loaded a bunch of Android apps.

At this point with Microsoft pretty much giving up competing on the phone market, this is the ONLY way it could grow.... and of course Microsoft killed off the feature...

As I also have wished for this, because of hardware and not everyone will work together to do this, I could never see this happen. Maybe an Android and Windows Phone...might be possible but, iOS, never...
    Blackberry did this. It didn't work.

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S
    02-01-2017 07:13 PM
    Blackberry did this. It didn't work.

Yep but, It's about the only hope Microsoft has... apps were starting to come and Microsoft through in the towel. Apps are fading, market share is dropping more and more. Where is Microsoft in all this ? Hello ? Yea, exactly where they have been.

Microsoft can keep updating Windows 10 Mobile but, why ? They can never compete with Android or the iPhone nor do they care to try...

Just think about the way Windows Phone is going now...and picture how it will be 5 years from now. The future does not look very bright for it
    theefman likes this.
    02-01-2017 07:23 PM
    Yep but, It's about the only hope Microsoft has... apps were starting to come and Microsoft through in the towel. Apps are fading, market share is dropping more and more. Where is Microsoft in all this ? Hello ? Yea, exactly where they have been.

Microsoft can keep updating Windows 10 Mobile but, why ? They can never compete with Android or the iPhone nor do they care to try...

Just think about the way Windows Phone is going now...and picture how it will be 5 years from now. The future does not look very bright for it
    I don't think they should nor need to compete with Android and iPhone. Microsoft is much more than phones. If their plan works out, they still won't be a leader in mobile but will be situated quite well for the future, even with mobile devices.
    JMHO.

nate0 and Captain_Eric like this.
    02-01-2017 07:59 PM
    Take a look at this: https://www.onmsft.com/news/samsung-...d-windows-time
    But nobody knows if it will ever see the light of the day
    02-02-2017 01:21 AM
    Take a look at this: https://www.onmsft.com/news/samsung-...d-windows-time
    But nobody knows if it will ever see the light of the day
    I would buy that phone
    02-02-2017 03:24 AM
    I don't think they should nor need to compete with Android and iPhone. Microsoft is much more than phones. If their plan works out, they still won't be a leader in mobile but will be situated quite well for the future, even with mobile devices.
    JMHO.

As far as the phone itself (hardware) Microsoft needs a turnaround. They atm are relying on other oems for that. As far as W10M os is concerned. Microsoft is a stellar performer in that arena imo. And that is their arena anyway.

I'm of the same thought on the competing aspect...Not sure why it is, but it seems Microsoft is only trying to keep their foot inside the mobile realm. Maybe until they need it or can leverage it most. I don't think Microsofts goal is to wow people in the mobile race, at least not now. Why pour yourselves into something if the return is so little or could be. They have so many other angles to benefit the W10 ecosystem that is as far as hardware, (surface/gaming/holographic) and currently doing good at it.
    TgeekB and Captain_Eric like this.
    02-02-2017 07:53 AM
    The only way that they can turn it around is to get the developers to support the platform. You can have continuum, the best hardware and etc and it will still fail without app support. I begrudgingly had to switch to an iPhone last week because apps that I use are leaving the platform. Once I switched I was pissed immediately because of all of the Microsoft apps that wasn't even available for WP that I didn't know about. I'm not talking about the things that are built-in to the OS that had to be a separate app on IOS. When and if the app ecosystem on WP is close to what's on IOS i will switch back immediately. Plus the apps that are on both platforms integrate better with IOS have more features on IOS. The Bluetooth integration with my vehicle was hit or miss when connecting or even when playing music. That's always been the case with different wp and vehicles. Even when I connected it to the vehicle using the USB port it still wouldn't control the music that was downloaded to the phone. The iPhone just works whether is on Bluetooth or via USB. I'm not talking about using it with carplay. Carplay sucks and i will never use it even though my vehicle has it. I will miss my live tiles on WP. I hate the interface on IOS. I've had a WP since wp 7. I had an iPhone and Android before that. There was some traction with apps on wp in the last two years but the momentum has been lost while MS reboot in the mobile space.
    nate0 likes this.
    02-02-2017 08:18 AM
    The only way that they can turn it around is to get the developers to support the platform. You can have continuum, the best hardware and etc and it will still fail without app support. I begrudgingly had to switch to an iPhone last week because apps that I use are leaving the platform. Once I switched I was pissed immediately because of all of the Microsoft apps that wasn't even available for WP that I didn't know about. I'm not talking about the things that are built-in to the OS that had to be a separate app on IOS. When and if the app ecosystem on WP is close to what's on IOS i will switch back immediately. Plus the apps that are on both platforms integrate better with IOS have more features on IOS. The Bluetooth integration with my vehicle was hit or miss when connecting or even when playing music. That's always been the case with different wp and vehicles. Even when I connected it to the vehicle using the USB port it still wouldn't control the music that was downloaded to the phone. The iPhone just works whether is on Bluetooth or via USB. I'm not talking about using it with carplay. Carplay sucks and i will never use it even though my vehicle has it. I will miss my live tiles on WP. I hate the interface on IOS. I've had a WP since wp 7. I had an iPhone and Android before that. There was some traction with apps on wp in the last two years but the momentum has been lost while MS reboot in the mobile space.
    Yes. They knew when needing to overhaul Windows, what could occur...or at least I hope they did.
    I am very fortunate in my case. I use very little, or have very little need for most apps. Youtube, WC App or forum apps, email, Book reading apps, and a couple others. So I have little issues moving from platform to platform. I cannot tolerate Android anymore. So it is either iOS or W10M. The iPhone will always be solid, and Apple probably can not afford or is not willing to do what Microsoft did even if they had to their mobile. As simplistic as the iphone is, I can still do twice as much faster on a W10M phone than I can there. Forget about Android I have a hard time sending a sms sometimes...as the UI has never been seamless their. I am only waiting for the right W10M hardware myself. I see the application situation and it is hurting the growth, but to me it is not an issue.
    TgeekB and jamesschaeffer like this.
    02-02-2017 08:47 AM
    Does anyone believe that what ever MS has coming for the mobile market will be for the trench phone user or will be priced at a reasonable level?

I'm afraid that whatever the Surface device is will be for a niche market and priced out of sight.

Our only hope is for other OEM's for see the potential for the intermediate market and provide a product for the rest of us. Fat chance of that happening.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-02-2017 09:00 AM
    I feel as though some partnership with android is the only viable possibility. Windows always seems open to mix with other operating systems, and makes transferring of photos, and other files with phone companion easy. I really do want Microsoft to do well with their phone mobile business, because like what many have commented here, windows phones do look really nice as far as design, and with the live tiles. Out of all the mobile OS's I have seen windows 10 seems to be the more easier one to navigate through.
    02-02-2017 10:40 AM
    I would buy that phone
    who wouldn't?
    nice dog you have there!
    Schnuffi likes this.
    02-03-2017 01:49 AM
48 12