Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows Phone 10, the dilemma....

BigbyWolf7

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi Dan,

I believe there are many Windows Phone fans out there like myself who're really torn between continuing to use a Windows Phone 8.1 device or upgrading to a Windows Phone 10 one. I am using a Lumia 830 at the moment and while the main camera is great, the front camera and processing power really takes away from the experience. To make matter worse, none of the new WP 10 devices really look or feel as great as the flagships of WP 8.1 or even my Lumia 830. What do we do now as Windows Phone fans? Hang tight onto our WP 8.1 devices? Would you recommend getting a Lumia 930 at this point in time or is Microsoft no longer going to support last gen devices??

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My initial solution...

I reverted my 1520 to 8.1 and dedicated it as a camera. I feel there were a lot of advantages to this reversion, not least of which is less processing load for camera. I also had just picked up a Lumia 650 for a daily driver. As a comm device and daily organizer they are quite nice. Not super speedy, but gets the job done and for 8MP non-PureView it still takes nice pics.

You might want to go that route yourself. Having used an 830 I know that camera is top shelf. You could still enjoy that tremendously and have a built for W10M device for daily carry and they do seem to be smoother at 10 then upgrades. Best of both worlds really...

I'm so committed to this course that I added a 1020 on 8.1 and ditched the 650 for an Idol 4S Windows as my daily. I think I'm on the right track.

YMMV

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...ty-1five2oh-1oh2oh-nine3oh-1c0n-eight3oh.html

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
As of right now, there's no reason to believe that Microsoft isn't going to support their devices. The 950 is basically guaranteed to get the Creators update, and (depending on hardware limitations) any 8.1 device that was upgraded from 8.1 to W10 will probably get the Creators update as well. Granted, it remains to be seen how much longer those devices will be supported after the Creators update. If you're trying to make a decision this late in the game, it's hard not to recommend the 950 (with Mozo back cover). It has one of the best cameras you can get on a smartphone. It's bound to receive whatever updates are left for Windows 10. And it's fairly inexpensive in comparison to other W10 devices. That's a hard combo to beat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)