What is Microsoft's plans for wearables?

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Any idea what Microsoft is planning for wearables? And when? They say "no Band 3", but I understand they still have a wearables division, and they're keeping Microsoft Health - which is virtually useless without some kind of wearable feeding it.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I think they're trying to make fitbit compatible with Microsoft mobile not only the fitness aspect, but the notification as well. I noticed them displaying fitbits at the Microsoft store last time I was there.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
With the way Fitbit keeps buying everyone, soon it will only be Fitbit, Apple, and maybe Samsung. Or maybe Fitbit is just fattening itself up for an eventual sale. Either way, it appears Microsoft no longer sees any long term growth in the wearable market, at least not at the moment. It could very well be another Surface phone situation, where MS is waiting until W10 can be customized to run on a wearable device.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I think MS has been selling FB in their stores since the beginning. Fitbit seems to be one of the giants, but their crystal ball isn't giving rosy forecasts. I think the underlying issue is that no one has figured out the secret sauce for mass adoption. Right now, it's a niche market. So, if MS is pouring research money into wearables, it's not unthinkable that they could come up with something that completely dominates the market.

So, my question to Dan, is - what is MS up to? While they've backed away from a new band, I don't think they're giving up completely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss