Graphical performance and actual performance is poor, will Neon solve it?

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The speed of the Windows 10 UI has always been poor. Granted on brand new hardware, it seems smooth enough (but power will always mask these things).

Every PC I installed it on, the user complained it wasn't as fast as Windows 8.

On an Atom powered tablet the tile interface is jerky (something that was never true of Win8).

On a Lenovo Core i7 Yoga 2 Pro, again the UI is jerky (when Win8 was buttery smooth).

The actual performance (not just graphical) of Windows 10 has always been slower on my desktop than Windows 8 was.

Apple learnt years ago that it's very important to have a super smooth UI, which gives the impression of performance to the user (even when it might not be the fastest).

Recently MS tackled a graphical glitch in the UI when you resized windows but the performance is still not smooth.

It seems to be that Windows 10 Mobile is also not as smooth as Windows Phone 8.

What's going on?

Will Neon be a comprehensive overhaul of the graphical performance of the UI or just a facelift?

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I know not of what you speak. I've been running Win10 since the first ever preview builds on my 2009-ish PC, after also having Win8, which it had after Win7. I've heard of the opposite, that Win8 was slower than 7, and Win10 sped things up.
I'm sure RS3 will continue giving performance boosts to all. Neon is the UI upgrade

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I have a similar aged PC to you which actually started on Vista, then 7 then 8 then Win 10 Insider (from the first build) but do not have the experience you've had.

One of the things that really impressed me about 7 and 8 was that they were each faster than their predecessor.

Windows 10 has not been like that for me or for any one of the people I know who upgraded. I've had to do a lot of Windows 10 defending to my friends (all non-techies).

Don't get me wrong by the way, this isn't a Win10 bash, I genuinely think this is the best version yet in terms of the UI and the way they are approaching and improving things.

Hopefully my experience and observations are not the norm.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The Windows 10 creators update supposedly runs a little smoother on PC's... I have only tried it on the 950 and can say it does seem faster than the original W10 and W10 anniversary update. I'll be loading it on my tablet (atom CPU) tonight, now that it's officially available to download early and will try to report back my findings.

Last edited:

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Neon won't fix it, because as mentioned above, it's just a new design idea. However performance should already be decent with AU and CU. To be honest, there's only so much that you can expect from a 2009ish PC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750