The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    With W10 on ARM, i have a feeling that Microsoft will go back to pocket PC days, dropping the unique UI of WP and go for W10 on small screens with styluses, aimed at the enterprise market. What are your thoughts about W10 on ARM?
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    04-17-2017 05:48 PM
    Even on WinRT the "desktop" was standard Windows fare. Not much has really changed since Windows 95 as far as icons, layout or the taskbar is concerned. Aero was a nice addition but that's what it was, an addition.

I have my reservations about WoA for the same reasons you mentioned. There is a time and a place for a stylus and a phone ain't it. Steve Jobs was right on this. If we have to go back to hunt and peck with tiny icons at least put on an optical trackpad a la BlackBerry. One-handed operation is the hallmark of a phone, don't make it any harder than it has to be.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    Eduard Vlad Ilie likes this.
    04-17-2017 06:05 PM
    With Joe Belfiore back I hope that the Windows mobile/phone gets the attention that it desperately needs.
    Bryant White likes this.
    04-18-2017 03:18 AM
    As far as the desktop in Windows is concerned there is not much that is needed to be done to improve it.

The whole point of the desktop was familiarity over the years. If it is not broken do not fix it.

Now MS had the right idea with Windows 8 in making the desktop look like just another app. I am sure that is what is going to happen with all the work with Windows 10 on ARM.

When you want to connect a monitor, keyboard & mouse just connect up and run the Desktop App.

When someone wants to run a Win32 application it will be spun up in the background and then closed down when not needed.

You could interact via voice and have holograms.

Pen input will be an option too.

Who is to say you would need a screen.

MS is thinking past what is current. Todays flagships will fell like dumb phones if MS can deliver on the potential of Windows 10 on ARM and their looking ahead.
    Last edited by xandros9; 05-01-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: removing spaces
    aximtreo likes this.
    05-01-2017 07:58 AM