Microsoft is selling more Android phones?!?

dpz

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
I know that Microsoft is selling the Samsung Galaxy S8 in their stores and I thought that because it has a Snapdragon 835, Microsoft will be releasing a ROM to convert it to Windows 10 ARM in the Fall. However, I've just found out that Microsoft is now selling the Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus that has a Snapdragon 821. I know that in the past Microsoft was working on making a ROM for Xiaomi and Cyogen but I don't know if that ever continued to get worked on. I haven't heard if Windows 10 ARM will support the Snapdragon 821 so I doubt now that these Android phones that Microsoft is selling will even get the new OS. Do you know why Microsoft is now selling Android phones when instead they should be promoting their own Mobile OS?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Xiaomi is a China-only market phone and they're Android, not Windows. It's similar to the S8 in that it has Microsoft apps pre-loaded, not a big deal. Besides, Microsoft is a software company first and foremost, and they make more money on Android patents then anything else they do in the mobile department. Let's not forget how they make their coin.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Xiaomi are a great company they've made a windows tablet (the mi pad 2, its pretty nice, still a hot selling tablet), they have an excellent value proposition, make a whole host of smart devices (scales, bands, security, watches), and I like them as a company.

The allowed MS to do whatever weirdness it was doing with flashing windows on to android devices with the mi 4 (which we still have no idea why MS was doing that - it wasn't for profit, it was some kind of research/development)

I have one of their bands, xiaomi, the mi band 2 - cost me like 30 USD.

Another great ally for Microsoft, along with Samsung, HP, Lenovo, TCL, and all the rest. Microsoft needs partners, as do the partners.

Actually Xiaomi and Harman Kardon, are excellent partners for MS, because they do a diverse range of smart devices, both at the premium, and budget end. If MS wants to get into wearables and smart homes, these are good people to develop a relationship with.

As far as apps on android, the last thing MS wants is things like google docs to gain mindshare. I'd rather see MS apps on every android phone in existence, than google apps.

Remember, google doesn't make its main money from android - it makes its main money from google search. Cortana for example, uses Bing. Google is an advertising company. Microsoft sell software services. If your using bing on an android device, that's money from googles pocket and into MS's.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720