Why won't people update to a new windows from XP?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The recent attack that has affected the NHS in UK and Telcom in Spain plus thousands of others around the world has certainly caught the attention of the world.

Blame is being thrown around left, right and centre. Microsoft is feeling the heat on not supporting Windows XP while governments and users are also being targeted for not updating their systems to a better windows.

My question is on the reasons why people around the world still use windows XP. What is preventing them from getting a new version? I can attempt to give some reasons below but it would be interesting to see the opinions from forums users around the world as well.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Let's look at corporations and companies - some still use windows XP - I work in a factory and some of the computers that control the different plants use XP - but they are not connected to the network - they are complety isolated

Reasons could be that:
  1. The software that runs a particular section of the plant or factory can only run on windows XP. The maker of that software never created a version that could run on a newer windows version - so to keep the plant running, the management is forced to use XP until such a time an updated software is available that can run on windows 10
  2. The hardware that runs windows XP cannot run any other version of windows - this could be a pentium 2 or 3, with low RAM and no network capabilities and such. So the hardware is the main restriction
  3. Like in my case, the computers running windows XP aren't connected and will never be connected - they probabaly don't even have LAN or wifi ports so there's no risk of getting infected hrough the internet. However, USB ports can be a possible gateway but the pcs are monitored 24/7 and the USB ports are locked by the IT department
  4. The company doesn't have the funding to purchase new licenses for windows 10 as well as licenses for the updated software that can run on windows 10 -an example is the college I went to - our engineering department had windows XP -main reason being that the software bought 15 years ago cannot run on newer windows -and it costs 1200USD per license for the latest version - so the college hasn't renewed since it would mean buying new pcs, new windows license and new software license - for about 100 pcs

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Now looking at governments - much of the reasons are the same:

1. Old and unsupported software that necessitates running of XP
  2. Too costly to upgrade PCs, OS and various Software
  3. Isolated systems that have low risk

• A bigger reason is the fact that pretty much all governments want to reduce costs and IT is one area that spending is low as possible even though it can be detrimental to overall performance
  • Many governments and institutions really do not have the money to invest in the latest systems, especially where technology is still a new thing for it's citizens and civil servants.
  • At times governments are given old systems that don't work in the original countries where the PCs and OS came from - this is technology dumping and it happens quite regularly

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I have an older HP Envy17, which I had updated to W10 in July of 2015, when AU was released I updated again, only to find a myriad of issues (mostly involving Bluetooth and connect ability). I contacted MS, was elevated to the 2nd tier and was told by them that I was better off to revert back to an earlier OS:(, so I did.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an older HP Envy17, which I had updated to W10 in July of 2015, when AU was released I updated again, only to find a myriad of issues (mostly involving Bluetooth and connect ability). I contacted MS, was elevated to the 2nd tier and was told by them that I was better off to revert back to an earlier OS:(, so I did.

I had a similar experience with my HP laptop. It's an older one, but I upgraded it to its maximum RAM capability and an SSD, so it performs quite well. When W10 dropped almost two years ago, I of course upgraded. However, I had issues with drivers, mostly WiFi, so I reverted to Windows 8.1.

I could probably upgrade it to Windows 10 again without issue. Because it is older and I don't expect to be using it for too much longer, I don't feel a pressing need to do that.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@tgp, yeah I feel the same way, I have 4 other computers on w10, so its not worth worrying about..I only used it for downstairs use anyway, but have since purchased a Surface Book & Pro that can fill any work related tasks downstairs. I, now, only use the HP for Netflix; and a little web surfing out in the barn:)

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
"Why won't people update to a new windows from XP?"

B̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶a̶p̶,̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶b̶b̶o̶r̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶u̶m̶b̶!:devil:

It's likely because they have an exceptionally hard time adapting to change, can't afford it, just don't want to, or have some other technical cause for not doing so. Chintan Gohel has made much more valid, mature points on this subject matter.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The cost thing is interesting because it's easy to calculate the cost of upgrading, but much harder to calculate the cost of not upgrading. E.g. what's the cost to their business if they're hit with WannaCry or another attack/issue?

I also wonder from an insurance perspective if this is something that is ever covered, and if so what the obligations are there. I.e. do they need to keep their software up to date to be covered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12